• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Firefox

Anon

• Members

To me, opening a website with only ads and complaining that people block the ads and "steal" your income is like opening a store only full of canned spinach and complaining that people turn the other way without buying anything when they walk past your store. :loco

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
To me' date=' opening a website with only ads and complaining that people block the ads and "steal" your income is like opening a store only full of canned spinach and complaining that people turn the other way without buying anything when they walk past your store. :loco[/quote']

:smug: :lol:

• Members

In other words, the only way I can stop sinning is to never check my email on Yahoo and Hotmail again because I have a conviction that purposely subjecting yourself to certain types of pictures (which include some ads on Yahoo and Hotmail) is wrong.

Edit: Then again, I think we can drop this subject. We've all stated out opinions, and it doesn't look like any of us will change them. The original topic was just something about Firefox, which is a very good browser which doesn't eat babies.

• Members

Yeah and anyway I'm still using IE so far because the problem that was making me so irritated is now gone so....don't need to change to Firefox yet. I do like Firefox though except it doesn't block ads as well as IE at this point.

• Members

Firefox just takes a bit to get use to. It took me a while to get use to it too. But after I adjusted to it, I liked it better than IE. It now seems to fit like an old glove. Now IE feels strange to me.

And on my computer Firefox seems to load a bit faster that IE.

Guest Guest

Danny, you are the only person in the world (other than other people who make $$$$$ off of ads, of course) that thinks removing ads is sinful. Obviously it is a monetarily-motivated "conviction" instead of a moral one.

Psalms 62:10 Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them.

It's the MONEY, not the MORALS, that is motivating your ignorant tirade.

• Members
Yeah and anyway I'm still using IE so far because the problem that was making me so irritated is now gone so....don't need to change to Firefox yet. I do like Firefox though except it doesn't block ads as well as IE at this point.

As a web developer, my problem with IE is it only supports ancient HTML and CSS features so I can't make websites that work nice in all browsers without adding a lot of hacks to make it work half-sane in IE. IE makes our life harder (well, at least more annoying) because it doesn't act right with modern HTML and CSS code but we are forced to still make it work because a majority of the people still use IE. Also, IE is plain incapable of some things which means our websites plain can't offer it to IE users even with hacks.

• Members

I love FireFox. I have a Bible theme which changes my default icons to doves, fish, churches, crosses, etc. There's no real significance, I just think it's cool.

I also use AdBlock plus, which has come in handy for a ton of websites. It comes in handy for suggestive pictures, movie posters, and yes; ads.

I can see where Danny is coming from, because it does seem like stealing from a certain point of view. It's just simply not stealing though for a few reasons.

1. The purpose of the ad is to advertise a product. Lets say that a website has a half naked picture of a Hollywood star to advertise an upcoming sitcom on television. If the ad offends me, I'm not going to watch the show and therefore the purpose of the ad is already defeated.

2. Some sites get paid when you click the ad. For example, lets say Google.com decided to use sexually suggestive photographs to advertise their website, and one of these ads appears on TVGuide.com. I'm not going to click it anyway, so what harm does it do if I block the ad?

In other words, these websites are losing absolutely no money by getting ads blocked; simply because these ads are not going to appeal to the ones blocking them anyway.

It would be like me knocking on your door and asking you to buy a homosexual magazine and a box of cookies, and you saying "I'd appreciate it if you no longer advertised the magazine, but I'll happily buy some cookies."

• Administrators

Give Opera a try, you may be very surprised how smooth and fast your site runs. :Green

• Members

Give Opera a try, you may be very surprised how smooth and fast your site runs. :Green

I have Opera and so far do not like it, I can't figure out how it works actually, it is very different than IE or Firefox. I have used it a couple of times to get into our church website without using FTP but that's all. Its a strange browser.

• Members
Can you explain? :Green

No. LOL.

I just remember having some problems with it, like typing in a website and then not being able to get there. I also think its weird how it opens up with the last page you left, however I suppose I could change that.

To your credit, I just tried again so I could "explain" :frog and I will say that my site did move lickety-split on it. Pictures were loading 3x faster than IE. Hmmmm. Maybe I'll give it a chance.

Does it block popups?

• Members

I love adblock (and as you can surmise, don't agree or visit any of Danny's sites), but one thing about adblock...

I forget others don't use it. I was on photobucket showing some pictures at a friends house and didn't even know they had the ads they do. So sometimes it's good to surf with IE and check out what may be on links you are sending to people.