• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

They are sending factories overseas (as well as tech supports) In the past, all those were enough to support a family. Alot of small towns relied on factory jobs.

So now it is either work in a retail stores, trades (plumbing, wiring, etc.) american farms (if they hire you over illegals), or get a college degree

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
They are sending factories overseas (as well as tech supports) In the past, all those were enough to support a family. Alot of small towns relied on factory jobs.

So now it is either work in a retail stores, trades (plumbing, wiring, etc.) american farms (if they hire you over illegals), or get a college degree

Actually, it's not. It's just that people don't do a lot of creative thinking these days. You can have your own business without ever going to college and can make more money than a propaganda graduate. (They don't learn skills in college they learn propaganda).

• Members
Going to college and then working there after graduation were some of the best 6 years of my life! :clap::clap::clap: Wouldn't trade it for anything, learned many, many valuable lessons and received skill training I wouldn't otherwise receive. I'm using those skills right now in managing this household - and I don't mean just cooking and cleaning.

If I could, I would be a career student. :frog Right now, I would love to take some classes for transcriptioning.

:thumb From what I've seen and heard of Ambassador Baptist College and their music program I'd do that too, in a heartbeat, and especially so if I could travel with one of their singing groups. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Their music program and Alton Beal are top-drawer and first-rate all the way. :Green :thumb

• Members

Actually, it's not. It's just that people don't do a lot of creative thinking these days. You can have your own business without ever going to college and can make more money than a propaganda graduate. (They don't learn skills in college they learn propaganda).

retail stores and trades can be small business-owned but not everyone can be business owners.

in my area, I have heard several factories shut down. It was sad to see small town struggling for jobs.

Guest Guest

MrsW: Of course you don't need a college education to make a lot of money. But the chances are against you. Plus, the economy is not the same now as it was when those men at your church started their home business. I don't know what field they are into, but there must not be much competition if they are able to run it from home. Today, as soon as some highly educated business person from Harvard or MIT sees a guy running a successful home business, they figure out a way to copy his business plan and make his business their own. Eventually the rum him out of business or force him to sell his operation at a below market price. They are taught how to do this in business school.

Another factor many college grads are facing today is that they didn't know it mattered which college you go to until they have gotten out and tried to find a job. It's not just enough to go to college anymore, you have to go to a good one. Before, there were enough jobs for every college grad and a college degree almost equaled job security. Now, with the loss of jobs at a record high, only those graduates from the best schools are getting hired. There's just not enough jobs to go around. I am seeing this happen to people I know right now. They graduate from a school that's not very well received and by the time they find a job they're already six months late on their student loan payments and their house in going into foreclosure. If you want to ensure your children will have at least an equal chance, you've got to prepare them to score high enough on either the ACT or the SAT so that they can get into the college they need to be in, not the college they have to be in.

• Members

Sounds like this may have more to do with where in our country you live. There is not much around here that pays descent or is stable unless you have a degree.

• Members

My inlaws were (still are) against formal education. That has had a negative impact on the family (there are 6 kids). My husband joined the military to learn a skill and is now a CNC machinist. If he gets the opportunity, he is going to go a local technical school and work towards a mechanical engineering degree.

The bottom line for college isn't always about making more money. My husband's passion is machining and metalworking. It isn't just a job. There is no way he could have learned all that he knows now w/o further education. College can help a person experience learning in a way they couldn't do for themselves. There are a good many benefits to furthering one's education.

BTW, my husband went through public school and 4 years of the military as one who is in the world but not of it. It can be done by someone who is committed to Christ.

Guest Guest

Bakers: I agree 100% that college facilitates a learning experience that can't be replicated. Being away from home, in an environment of opened and seeking minds, has an afffect on a person that is beyond comparison. I'm a relatively young guy and I can say that those four years of school were the most influential on my out look at life. It is were my faith was tested, and were it matured.

• Administrators

BTW, my husband went through public school and 4 years of the military as one who is in the world but not of it. It can be done by someone who is committed to Christ.

[offtopic]Thanks for this, Bakers. I can't understand why people think Christians should stay out of the military. Should we just give up and let the lost protect us? Don't think so. Should we just ignore the fact that our military is facing eternity...many of them lost? Nope. I know of several strong Christians in the military who are actually seeing people saved. Not in great abundance, but one at a time is still one at a time. My son believes very firmly that God has led him to join...we spent much time in prayer and discussion about it, and can say with pride (the right kind :cooldude: ) that we have given him our blessing and stand behind him all the way. And the training for his job that he will get can be gotten nowhere else!! :thumb[/offtopic]

• Members

[offtopic]Thanks for this, Bakers. I can't understand why people think Christians should stay out of the military. Should we just give up and let the lost protect us? Don't think so. Should we just ignore the fact that our military is facing eternity...many of them lost? Nope. I know of several strong Christians in the military who are actually seeing people saved. Not in great abundance, but one at a time is still one at a time. My son believes very firmly that God has led him to join...we spent much time in prayer and discussion about it, and can say with pride (the right kind :cooldude: ) that we have given him our blessing and stand behind him all the way. And the training for his job that he will get can be gotten nowhere else!! :thumb[/offtopic]

:goodpost:

• Members

The bottom line for college isn't always about making more money. My husband's passion is machining and metalworking. It isn't just a job. There is no way he could have learned all that he knows now w/o further education. College can help a person experience learning in a way they couldn't do for themselves. There are a good many benefits to furthering one's education.

I totally agree. It's a lot more than just what we do, it is completely who we are. :thumb :Green

• Members

Entrepreneurship takes a certain personality. To force that on a child who is, for instance, more introverted, is kinda cruel. They may be brilliant, and could make a much better living (not to mention difference in the world) with a College degree, then struggling to keep a business afloat. The Prospect of owning your own business is fun and exciting until you've watched what a failing business does to a family. College is often wise. You can do it wisely (like go to state school and live at home) and it keeps the cost down. Keeping your women-folk at home is downright cruel, no kinda about it.

Too many people reading Rick Dad Poor Dad. Not everyone is cut out for business ownership.

Guest Guest

Daughters remaining at home until marriage is a Biblical principle...are you wanting to tell God He was cruel when He decided that?

College can SOMETIMES be wise, but I'd want my son to be very sure of God's will before he went and yes I would prefer a college where he can live at home and that is what we would recommend.

• Members
I totally agree. It's a lot more than just what we do, it is completely who we are. :thumb :Green

Jess, what I see is that God is preparing us (your hubby and I) to do something that will be very beneficial not only for our own families, but our society as well. It was your hubby that planted the seeds of curiosity in my head of using water for fuel. I was skeptical to the point of disbelieving when he first told me that using electrolysis of water could make enough fuel to power an engine that would turn around and electrolyze more water into fuel for itself. It seemed like an attempt at perpetual motion. :ooops :Green :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wish I could have seen the look on his face when I first told him that I now see what he meant waaaaaaay back when he first mentioned using water for fuel to power his innovative engine design. I had it in my head that the water molecule could only be fractured by Faraday methods. It is true that using instruments of that design (i.e. Faraday) could never achieve the volume we need. It was sometime mid-autumn last year when the light dawned, and I knew the secret had to be in using Teslian techniques. :clap::clap::clap: As far as perpetual motion:::: It isn't that at all since we are consuming water. The water is the fuel. :Green

I wish you could have seen his face too. :ha

I agree that it is who you are, not what you do. :thumb