• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do you know anyone who does not drive?

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you know anyone who does not drive?

• Yes
    • No

• Members

In my younger days, during the 50 and 60's, I use to know several women who had never driven a car. I remember neighbors from the 50's who did not even own a car, of course they had horses or mules and a wagon.

I had one classmate, I graduated in 65, he did not get his drivers license until in the mid 80's.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

Yes I know a thirty something woman that has six children and does not drive by choice. She doesn't have to. She's a homemaker and goes with her husband everywhere and he drives.

• Members

neither have my grandma.

I wished I don't have to drive.. but my husband MADE me. I didn't get my license til I was 21 ...I think. I can't remember anymore! I just know it was long after I graduated from high school and my husband was the one who taught me to drive. I guess not remembering when I had my license means I wasn't too excited about getting one.

• Administrators
Yes I know a thirty something woman that has six children and does not drive by choice. She doesn't have to. She's a homemaker and goes with her husband everywhere and he drives.

Very fortunate lady!! I don't enjoy driving, but there are many times I have to. When possible, my hubby or son drive. Son will be gone in a little over a week, so I'll have to resume some of it. Ah, well.

Guest Guest

I don't like driving either so unless I have the car, my husband drives. Women didn't seem to drive too much until families started having more than one car.

• Members

I could count on one hand the number of times I've ever driven with my husband in the car--we've been married nearly 18yrs. When we're together, he drives. When I have to go somewhere and he is unable to take me, I drive. Up until this last year, we've never had two vehicles, and the only reason we have 2 now is because his commute is so long he needs to take a junker to avoid the high mileage on the family vehicle, and also the higher gas prices because the family vehicle is larger to accomodate our large family.

• Members

I don't drive. I've never even had a license. Due to pressure of some of my friends, I got a learner's license, but never went for the Driver's test. I have no desire to be driving on city streets.

• Members
I don't drive. I've never even had a license. Due to pressure of some of my friends' date=' I got a learner's license, but never went for the Driver's test. I have no desire to be driving on city streets.[/quote']

I got my license back in 1979 and I STILL have no desire to drive on city streets!

• Members

Jerry, where you live do they have plenty of public transportation?

I've had mine since 1960 when I was 14 years old, can't imagine life without driving. But I'm sure where I live is much different than your part of the country.

I read a blog that a woman wrote about her bus riding to get around a large city, going to the grocery stores, bring the groceries home on the bus and such things, I enjoyed reading about the world that I really don't know.

I realize there are places in this world where having a car is not a necessity.

I used to know many men and women both who had never driven or even owned a car, but they have all died out.

Really amazing how much has changed in the last 100 years or so. Don't you know those who died as the horse and buggies started fading out would be in for a huge surprise at our transportation today.

I know one man, who is just a bit older than my 61 years, that still remembers coming from their home about 12 miles north of town by wagon. He told me, on their going to town day his mother would pack their lunch and supper. They would eat an early breakfast, pull out towards town, stopped on the edge of town and eat their lunch. Them get in town a bit after dinner. Late afternoon they would eat their supper on the streets of town, them head home, generally getting back home about 10:00 PM that night. Said they generally did this about once a month to buy what supplies they did not grow on their farm and catch up on what was going on around about them. I might add, he lived much further in the backwoods than I did.

• Members

I do not enjoy driving but since we have had more kids, we find it easier and faster to run errands if only one of us goes. So sometimes I go get things done....and sometimes he does...or sometimes we go as a family. We only have one car.

I do not tell directions very well at all so I get really nervous to go somewhere I have never gone before. I do not deliver my cakes, he does or we both go (with the whole family, not very professional, but no choice right now!).

Sometimes when time is short and we have to run to the store, its just not reasonable to drag the entire family with us. I have driven more here than I ever have. My parents had me getting my license quite late so I never really got a whole lot of confidence behind the wheel. Having my mom die in a car wreck didn't help.

Guest Guest

I want all my kids to at least have a license, even if they do not "like" to drive. If God so blesses us, we would like a large family and it will be more useful as the children grow if they can go and pick up something at the store for me or whatever. If they don't "like" driving they'd be the last child I'd pick to ask to do that, but sometimes it might be needful. I just want them to have the ability to be ABLE to drive the car. Since this is the case, we'd pay for anything driving related like the cost of getting a license, and insurance on our car so they can drive it. It would be different if they want their own car though LOL.

I don't look down on anyone who can't or won't drive, it's just something I want my children to be trained to do in case they need it.