• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

keeping them from wrong vs teaching them to stay away

• Members

We just found a filter from First Baptist of Hammond, they offer fundamental filtering. I would never let my children online without a filter. The accidental image or just plain curiosity could destroy them. If you are a responsible parent, keeping your children protected is the right way to go. If it is morally wrong to look upon a maid when I am thirty, then I better not learn to look upon a maid when I am ten. If you would like to support the FBCH filter http://fbch.familyfilteringservices.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In regards to the above comment about children doing physical work, my opinion is that work and chores are what turn children into responsible adults. Children need to learn that life isn't a free ride to do as they please. That is one reason why our prisons are overflowing with criminals. Selfish, lazy, inconsiderate children abound in this country and the fault lies with overindulgent parents.
I remember helping to plant big gardens when I was a child. I helped snap green beans, I gathered eggs, helped take out the paper trash and burned it, helped with washing clothes with a wringer washer, etc., etc. It didn't kill me and helping out with chores while our girls were little didn't kill them either. Now their children help with chores at their homes. CJP56.

• Members
In regards to the above comment about children doing physical work, my opinion is that work and chores are what turn children into responsible adults. Children need to learn that life isn't a free ride to do as they please. That is one reason why our prisons are overflowing with criminals. Selfish, lazy, inconsiderate children abound in this country and the fault lies with overindulgent parents.
I remember helping to plant big gardens when I was a child. I helped snap green beans, I gathered eggs, helped take out the paper trash and burned it, helped with washing clothes with a wringer washer, etc., etc. It didn't kill me and helping out with chores while our girls were little didn't kill them either. Now their children help with chores at their homes. CJP56.

:amen:

I remember the wringer washer and taking clothes to the line. Gathering eggs, working in our really big garden, taking care of the rabbits and our hunting dogs, cutting the grass, and a whole lot of etc. :Green

Our cranky neighbor actually accused me of abusing my sons because I had them outside with me helping to rake leaves! :roll They were having a load of fun and learning work skills at the same time yet according to that one neighbor, that was abusive. He said the same thing about my sons picking up sticks or helping my wife and I in the garden. :bonk:

It's amazing how some people think. And this neighbor is an older guy at least 70+.

When I was growing up it was common to see kids outside all summer either doing work in the yard, doing work in someone elses yard for a few extra bucks, or playing physically. These days I rarely see kids doing any of this. Most seem to be inside with the air conditioner cranked and their TVs or video games being how they spend so much of their time.

From the time I was about 10 or 11 I was doing dishes. These days most parents don't even have their daughters doing dishes let alone their sons.

Some folks may think I'm "mean" or something because our children have chores to do, but at least my kids will be able to care for themselves pretty well when they get out on their own.

I know in my case, the way I was raised I'm able to take care of the "manly" things around the house and also the "womanly" things. I can take care of the laundry, cook, do dishes, clean the house, take care of the children and such. This hasn't only benefited me over the years but been a blessing to my wife and children. I've known men who have had their wives down with an illness for a time or their wife leaves them and they had to live on sandwiches and cereal or eating out until their wife got better, came home or they found someone else to take care of them.

Yes indeed, raise your children to know the value and necessity of work and taking care of things in and around the house. :thumb

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

In talking about websites this was said.

There are some things you expose your children to and some things you don't.

For instance, we don't have TV for a bunch of reasons, but we don't freak out if our children see a TV at a friend's house or at our beach house because we've taught them to use Biblical discernment.

I take my kids with me to New York City all the time and there are all sorts of things there that are not good, but I trust that my wife and I have prepared them to deal with those things from a Biblical mindset.

There's a big difference between not exposing your children to something because it's not appropriate and sheltering them. Sheltering them always leads to disaster.