• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

For His Yoke is Easy, and His Burden is Light

• Members

Today we have break-through super apostles coming up with brand new ways to win almost anyone to the Gospel. Many Christians look through multitudes of websites and read tons of books trying to learn how to evangelize effectively. Then, when the Gospel is presented and somebody does not accept; it's back to the drawing board.

For what?

The Gospel is the Power of God unto salvation (Romans 1:16.) As Christians, all we have to do is have faith that the Gospel is the power of God. Your effective witnessing ends when the Gospel is presented accurately. If that person does not accept Christ, it doesn't mean that the Gospel is lacking power; it means that that person has refused that power. If they do accept it, it's certainly not because you're a super apostle; it's because the Gospel is the Power of God.

Teachers now are telling you that you have to work on your speaking skills or come up with clever conversation starters to be an effective witness. If you're excellent speaking skills are the reason somebody accepts Christ, then they haven't accepted anything. It must be the power of God.

So if you're burdened and stressed because you want to witness but you just can't figure out how, don't be. Give them the Gospel, and pray for them earnestly. Focus on being in close fellowship with the Lord.

Thoughts?

• Members
Today we have break-through super apostles coming up with brand new ways to win almost anyone to the Gospel. Many Christians look through multitudes of websites and read tons of books trying to learn how to evangelize effectively. Then, when the Gospel is presented and somebody does not accept; it's back to the drawing board.

For what?

The Gospel is the Power of God unto salvation (Romans 1:16.) As Christians, all we have to do is have faith that the Gospel is the power of God. Your effective witnessing ends when the Gospel is presented accurately. If that person does not accept Christ, it doesn't mean that the Gospel is lacking power; it means that that person has refused that power. If they do accept it, it's certainly not because you're a super apostle; it's because the Gospel is the Power of God.

Teachers now are telling you that you have to work on your speaking skills or come up with clever conversation starters to be an effective witness. If you're excellent speaking skills are the reason somebody accepts Christ, then they haven't accepted anything. It must be the power of God.

So if you're burdened and stressed because you want to witness but you just can't figure out how, don't be. Give them the Gospel, and pray for them earnestly. Focus on being in close fellowship with the Lord.

Thoughts?

1 Corinthians 2:4
And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

1 Corinthians 1:17
For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

While there is some benefit in learning how to better communicate with people the end all is God's power unto salvation.

Many people these days compromise or water down the message of the gospel so that people will "accept" it.

Thus the focus becomes how many decisions they get, instead of being how Biblically accurate and pleasing to God their message is.

May those who water down the gospel repent!

• Members

Good post, and good scripture reference.

I don't think it's just the problem of watering down the Gospel, but the problem of assuming that above-average speaking skills can bring a person to Christ. I know in some Christian colleges such an emphasis is put on making sure that there are no wrinkles in your suit jacket and that you don't say "Ah" or "Um.." not even once.

I'm not saying you should be careless when approaching somebody with the Gospel, but the idea that we must be Black Belt Evangelists takes all of the confidence out of God and puts it in the flesh.

• Members
Good post, and good scripture reference.

I don't think it's just the problem of watering down the Gospel, but the problem of assuming that above-average speaking skills can bring a person to Christ. I know in some Christian colleges such an emphasis is put on making sure that there are no wrinkles in your suit jacket and that you don't say "Ah" or "Um.." not even once.

I'm not saying you should be careless when approaching somebody with the Gospel, but the idea that we must be Black Belt Evangelists takes all of the confidence out of God and puts it in the flesh.

Yes, amen.

John 4:28,29
28The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men,

29Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?

Doesn't seem like the woman at the well was able to get much "soul winning" training.

:thumb