• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Should Christians be drinking caffeine

• Members
Can you find me one news article (we have HC's one instance) of somebody who got into a car accident... due to drinking a coffee?

Bing! http://www.gainesville.com/article/20051124/LOCAL/211240321

This story only counts if your definition of 'harm' includes having your birthday present run over by multiple vehicles.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

:lol: :lol: I do have a story of how coffee is good...I used to drink it often, but my hubby very rarely did. One night, he was driving the car (it was really late, or actually early morning) when it died on him. He went to make a phone call (this was pre-cell phone era) and as he looked back, saw someone looking at the engine. He went back, and the engine was on fire!! The guy had a large cup of coffee, and he poured it on the fire. He got it out...I told my husband later that he'll have to say nice things about coffee drinkers from then on. :lol: :lol:

• Members
I don't drink coffee anymore because it really aggravates my acid reflux. I do drink tea, mostly decaf and herbal. I also get migraines often. When I feel one coming on, I reach for the caffeine. It opens the blood cells to the brain, which helps ease the migraine. It doesn't go away, but bewteen that and Tylenol with aspirin, it eases it enough to function, and I don't have to get stronger meds.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it - as long as it's not abused. A pot a day would be too much, imo. Even when I drank coffee, I didn't drink that much. I always knew I had too many cups when I began to shake. Two was my normal limit. I really liked it, and I miss drinking a cup in the morning (even went to decaf and that bothers me!), but the tea is good, too.

I also suffer from acid reflux...I can drink no more than 2 cups of "doctored up" coffee (with splenda and coffee mate) a day. It would not kill me if I had 0 cups a day. It's not a necessity in my life. I don't care for herbal tea...but sweet tea (iced) is good and gives me no problems.

I've seen people compare caffeine with alcohol...it's true they are both drugs, but there is no comparison. You would have to have tons of caffeine in your body to get the "mind altering" affects of what just one or two drinks of alcohol would produce on certain people. IMHO, there is no comparison. Like I said in another thread...I believe "drinking alcohol in moderation" is a myth...one can overindulge on coffee and get a belly ache, but one can have just one or two alcoholic drinks and go out and kill someone in a drunk driving accident. The Bible calls wine a mocker and strong drink raging....if you have already had that first drink, you have already been deceived. My :2cents

HC, I've never heard of Tylenol with aspirin...what is that? Did you mean Tylenol with codeine? or Tylenol with caffeine? I always thought that Tylenol had caffeine. I cannot take any medication with asprin because of my acid reflux and hiatal hernia...I had been taking Celebrex for my arthritis, but since the insurance stopped paying for it, I'm not taking any arthritis meds...will take a couple of Aleve when arthritis pain flares up really bad...that's about once a month.

• Members

There is one kind of Tylenol (advertised for migraines) that I bought last year that has caffeine in it - but the regular Tylenol we get up in Canada does not have it.

• Administrators
HC' date=' I've never heard of Tylenol with aspirin...what is that? Did you mean Tylenol with codeine? or Tylenol with caffeine? I always thought that Tylenol had caffeine. I cannot take any medication with asprin because of my acid reflux and hiatal hernia...I had been taking Celebrex for my arthritis, but since the insurance stopped paying for it, I'm not taking any arthritis meds...will take a couple of Aleve when arthritis pain flares up really bad...that's about once a month.[/quote']

The Tylenol I was referencing was what Jerry mentioned. It is specifically for migraines, and pretty much most of the brand names have it (there are a few generics, too, that work just as well and cost less). The migraine tablets contain aceteminophen, aspirin and caffeine. If I don't have any, I'll usually take a Tylenol and aspirin and drink some caffeine - has the same result. If I take aspirin on a regular basis, it bothers my reflux, too. Also Ibuprophen and anything in that family just tears me up.

Try black cherry juice for your arthritis. I drink that, and it helps keep the swelling down so the pain isn't too bad.

• Members
Try black cherry juice for your arthritis. I drink that, and it helps keep the swelling down so the pain isn't too bad.

Thanks HC...I'm going to try that. Probably alot less expensive than Aleve. Thanks for the information on Tylenol.

• Members
As christians we have a responsibility to take care of our bodies! We should treat it as a temple of God and not pollute it with vile drugs and things that harm it. There are some things that are unavoidable' date=' but coffee, fast food, soda, candy, and popping meds isn't good for you! Organic food, vegetables, water, excersize... Oh, I forgot... Were Baptists... We don't excersize. lol It can be hard to eat right and excersize but it is God's will because that is how He designed our bodies. You certainly don't hear anyone preach on this one though...[/quote']

Hmmm.... Good point there Marcus... :frog