• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Should Christians be drinking caffeine

• Administrators

I agree with you to a certain point, but some people cannot tolerate caffeine in the same way they cannot tolerate alcohol. I know a man who gets very mean after one beer. He also gets very mean after a few days of caffeine ingestion - the same kind of meanness that he has with the beer. It takes more caffeine, but it really does happen.

But I agree, it's between the user (not a good term, maybe? :lol: ) and God.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
When you think about it..

Alcohol harms yourself AND others.

Smoking harms yourself AND others.

Caffiene is negligible as far as effects to yourself and definitely does not harm others.

Cell phones are possibly harmful to oneself but does not harm others.

Definite line there. The first two are definitely out. The second two are between the user and God.

I would say you would have to prove the difference between Alcohol and Caffiene. Both only explicitly hurt the user, and both have the potential to implicitly hurt others. Smoking has a better chance, because of second hand smoking, but even that can be avoided by being a certain distance from others.

I respect your opinions, kitagrl, but I think you are drawing that line where you are comfortable. From a purely textbook approach to each one, they are in the same class.

Guest Guest

Caffiene isn't mentioned in the Bible.

Alcohol is, so there is a case for alcohol being wrong but not necessarily caffiene. I don't drink alcohol at all I don't think that's right, but when used in a medicine I take it, so it's not a blanket thing of "alcohol is wrong" it's a thing where "I believe it's wrong to drink alcohol".

• Members

I would say you would have to prove the difference between Alcohol and Caffiene. Both only explicitly hurt the user, and both have the potential to implicitly hurt others. Smoking has a better chance, because of second hand smoking, but even that can be avoided by being a certain distance from others.

I respect your opinions, kitagrl, but I think you are drawing that line where you are comfortable. From a purely textbook approach to each one, they are in the same class.

Not really. Has anyone ever hit and killed someone in a car from drinking coffee? I honestly believe I'm drawing a scientific line here, not one of comfort. I personally do not drink alot of caffeine, I'm not a coffee addict like SOME around here LOL. I drink Diet Coke, but mostly decaffeinated, and am trying to stop drinking that as well. I drink some caffeine Diet Coke and some tea.

• Administrators
Has anyone ever hit and killed someone in a car from drinking coffee? I honestly believe I'm drawing a scientific line here' date=' not one of comfort.[/quote']

Well, in reference to the man I mentioned in my previous post, he never killed someone from drinking coffee, but, along with the meanness came other problems. He was moving his family cross-country one time, and they stopped to rest. He passed out while they were resting. It was from the caffeine. Had he been driving (he was driving the moving truck, his wife was in the vehicle behind him) he and two of the kids could have been killed, plus anyone else that might have been involved in the accident that would have resulted if he passed out behind the wheel.

I don't think the effects of caffeine are the same as alcohol, and I do drink some iced tea (and as I said, I use it medicinally) but there are some people who just cannot tolerate it.

• Members

yes, there are people who can't tolerate it, but my son can't tolerate eggs, he break out in eczema and scratch like crazy, when he does, it distract him from doing what he is suppose to be doing , but it doesn't mean everyone can't eat eggs.

The only thing that coffee burn people if it spills on their laps while driving.

• Administrators
yes, there are people who can't tolerate it, but my son can't tolerate eggs, he break out in eczema and scratch like crazy, when he does, it distract him from doing what he is suppose to be doing , but it doesn't mean everyone can't eat eggs.

The only thing that coffee burn people if it spills on their laps while driving.

Sorry, but I have seen the man I've been referencing. His reaction is worse than eczema, and it does hurt his family. Been there, witnessed it.

• Administrators
some people can't eat peanuts and they die from it too. Just saying that just become it effect one person doesn't mean everyone have to avoid it.

Please don't take what I've said that way! I never even intimated that everyone should avoid it. I was giving an example of someone I know personally who was badly affected by caffeine and whose family was affected by his reaction as well. Never did I say everyone should avoid it. I do believe that I said it was between the user and God.

• Members

Not really. Has anyone ever hit and killed someone in a car from drinking coffee? I honestly believe I'm drawing a scientific line here, not one of comfort. I personally do not drink alot of caffeine, I'm not a coffee addict like SOME around here LOL. I drink Diet Coke, but mostly decaffeinated, and am trying to stop drinking that as well. I drink some caffeine Diet Coke and some tea.

Alcohol only has the potential to cause accidents if you drive afterwards. And I would say that yes, being jittery from caffeine has the possibility to cause accidents. And, the number of Drunk drivers compared to the number of caffeinated drivers is probably pretty low.

Scientifically, you are adding driving into the equation. My point was That person and their vice only harm that person. Extended circumstances are the only reason hurt is extended to other people.

• Members

Can you find me one news article (we have HC's one instance) of somebody who got into a car accident or abused a family member, or threw up in the toilet and then passed out, due to drinking a coffee? And then I want to see stats on how many alcohol drinkers have had this happen? And then I want to see stats on how many people have had bad reactions by taking Benadryl or Motrin, or Robitussin or Nyquil.

Wanted to add that those extenuating circumstances are actually a solid proof of the mind altering properties of whatever substance the person ingested.

• Administrators
Can you find me one news article (we have HC's one instance) of somebody who got into a car accident or abused a family member' date=' or threw up in the toilet and then passed out, due to drinking a coffee? And then I want to see stats on how many alcohol drinkers have had this happen? And then I want to see stats on how many people have had bad reactions by taking Benadryl or Motrin, or Robitussin or Nyquil.[/quote']

I just have to say this....drinking coffee does make me throw up. :lol: It really causes my acid reflux to go into overdrive, and I spend quite a bit of time, um, removing it and anything else from my tummy. Sorry - I know that's not what you meant... :lol:

• Members

all sweeteners upset my stomach really bad.. and you don't wanna know the rest of the story..lets just say I had to stay in bathroom for a long time with a terrible bloated pain.. but it doesn't involve throwing up... But what did made me throw up was taking anything with Calcium Carbonate-Simethicone with my upset stomach.