• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Administrators
I'm interested in this information. Where can I find documentation for this statement?

Last year, I received back a score sheet for my own children's SAT's. It compared their scores to the national Christian school average (AACS), as well as to the public school average. I noticed that the Christian school scores weren't that much better than the public school scores. (In some areas, they were actually worse.) But I've never seen a comparison of homeschooled children (other than my own) to Christian schooled or public schooled children. It would be interesting to see. I wonder if it's really any better...

Many Christian schools really aren't much better than public schools.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51182

This site has some interesting info on it.

Here's an interesting article:
http://www.ericdigests.org/2000-3/home.htm
Home school student achievement test scores were exceptionally high. The median scores for every subtest at every grade (typically in the 70th to 80th percentile) were well above those of public and Catholic/Private school students.

On average, home school students in grades 1 to 4 performed one grade level above their age-level public/private school peers on achievement tests.

Students who had been home schooled their entire academic life had higher scholastic achievement test scores than students who had also attended other educational programs.

Even with a conservative analysis of the data, the achievement levels of the home school students in the study were exceptional. Within each grade level and each skill area, the median scores for home school students fell between the 70th and 80th percentile of students nationwide and between the 60th and 70th percentile of Catholic/Private school students. For younger students, this is a one year lead. By the time home school students are in 8th grade, they are four years ahead of their public/private school counterparts.

Here's another one:
http://oldfraser.lexi.net/media/media_r ... 11009.html

Home schooled children are, on average, more academically and socially advanced than public and private school students, according to a new study, Home Schooling: From the Extreme to the Mainstream, released today by The Fraser Institute.
(the today was Oct. 2001)

Research indicates that home schooled children in the U.S. and Canada regularly outperform their peers in both public and private schools. The international evidence on the academic performance of home schooled students is equally encouraging.

In the United States, at every grade level, home schooled students' average score placed between the 82nd and the 92nd percentile in reading and reached the 85th percentile in math. Overall, test scores for home schoolers placed between the 75th and 85th percentiles. In contrast, public school students scored at the 50th percentile, while private school students' scores ranged from the 65th to the 75th percentile. Home schooled students also surpass the national averages on both of the major college-entrance tests: the ACT and the SAT.

"Almost one-quarter of home schooled students perform one or more grades above their age level peers in public and private schools," says Patrick Basham, Senior Fellow at the Cato Institute and the study's author.

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Results-o ... &id=583831

http://homeschoolradar.com/Newsletters/ ... 2008-03-13

http://www.thehomeschoolmagazine.com/Ho ... sitive.php

I shouldn't have used the word "intelligent," since that is something that is innate. I should have used the word "educated" or maybe even "learned." The majority of homeschoolers have a tutorial system of education, which is superior to the classroom model, simply because they can be instructed to greater heights without leaving someone in the classroom behind. But! There are a lot of really good Christian schools out there. I like homeschooling - but I also know that many have their children in a Christian school because that's what they believe God would have them do.

• Members

Another point is how the rare problems with someone homeschooling gets blown out of proportion as if it represents all homeschoolers yet the same is never the case when the subjects use the public schools.

Consider the hundreds of "horror stories" regarding children who attend public schools by parents who attended public schools. Consider the thousands of cases each year of rape, beatings, sexual assaults, robberies, murders, etc., that occur in public schools each year.

Not to mention the thousands who graduate each year but can't read or write properly; and in some cases can't at all. What about the thousands who drop out of public school and never receive a high school education or diploma at all?

If this is turned around it's clear that homeschooling has a much better track record and if any government intervention is needed, it's within their own schools and not homeschools.

Of course, the best course of action would be to get the government OUT of schooling altogether.

• Members
Which is worse, a homeschool parent that does not meet a certain standard or a public school parent that turns control of their child's education over to the state? The so-called "horror stories" that you speak of may very well be the exception and not the rule.

You question is a false dilemma. It would depend on what standard was not being meet or the involvement level of parent.

I will excuse your arrogant attitude which might be due to your youthfulness and/or lack of understanding.

It was not my intent to come off as arrogant. I simply believe that all homescholers should still have to prove that they meet standards in the same way that public school do. I think that if the state requires the test, then the state should pay for, since the parents of that student do pay school taxes. I will admit that I am not a big fan of home schooling. In the majority of cases that I have personally observed, it is inferior both educationally and socially. That is not to say all cases. I know of some people who do home schooling exceptionally well.

The test results that homeschoolers get now are inconsistent. In states that do not require testing, only the best of the home school students take the tests. Also, one of the biggest predictors of student achievement is parental involvement. So, most of the students who are home schooled would still score very high on standardized tests.

All people pay school taxes. And it's not voluntary, which it should be.

I think this would be a horrible idea. The only people who would receive education would be the wealthy

• Members
I simply believe that all homescholers should still have to prove that they meet standards in the same way that public school do. I think that if the state requires the test' date=' then the state should pay for, since the parents of that student do pay school taxes. [/quote']
Ok, there many standardized tests. Let the tests speak for themselves. I don't know how it is in your area but in our area the homeshool scholastic average is CONSIDERABLY HIGHER than that of the public schools.

...and just how big of a sample did you take of homeschoolers in your "study"???

Can you be specific??? It is quite easy to spin generalities into the air without substantiating proof and empirical data.

All things being equal, here, if that state did not require testing what makes you think the public schools in that area are better???

Isn't that the whole point of homeschooling???

"To effect in children entrusted to parents by God, Himself, the education, training, Godly discipline and knowledge that will benefit them for life."

This is a wonderful idea. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I realize we may never see it in our lifetime, but it makes purest common sense that if we don't want government intervention of public educaton we should not have to pay for it.