• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Should men wear pink or purple?

Guest Guest

What I don't get is that it appears to be the women that use Deuteronomy 22:5 as "proof" that women can't wear pants because they are supposedly "men's clothing" that shop for clothes in the MENS department because they think they are more modest. Anyone else see the glaring inconsistency of that?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

A color is a color, is a color. What shade you adorn yourself in has nothing to do with your heart. God looks not on the outward appearance but upon the heart. Womens clothing was of two basic colors in Biblical times, black and white. Black if you were married and white a virgin. Harlots wore colorful apparel among women. Men were more apt to have worn the colorful apparel, Joseph's coat anyone?:2cents

• Members
I would have to say if you are hung up on colors, you are the one with the problem... They are only shirts, and they are only colors. Get over it.

It didn't sound like he was "hung up" on it to me. He is just erring on the side of caution. I do agree that colors are not "effeminate" in and of themselves though. I have known many manly men who occasionally wear a pink or purple shirt. I believe the verse is speaking of those who are intentionally being "girly" guys(cross dressers etc.). I seem to recall that even "Matt Dillion", John Wayne, and other old time TV cowboys wore pink shirts in some of their movies. Now no matter what you think of their movies they were definitely playing "tough guys" and there is no way the directors would have allowed pink shirts if it had been culturally effeminate. Can you imagine a tough guy cowboy in bright red lipstick? No director would allow that because lipstick is culturally effeminate. Tough guy and effeminate are antonyms.

Guest Guest

I like seeing dark purple shirts on men. I don't personally like pink ones on men but I don't think it's a "sin" issue, it's just that I don't like it.

• Members

Pink and purple are effeminate? :puzzled: :uuhm:

In all of my rounds in life, from Air Force to cross country truck driver, I never heard such a thing in my 61 years of living.

I think purple is a great color too.

I don't judge people by the color they wear. Of course everyone knows the good guys wears white hats. :roll

• Members

I wouldn't put pink on a baby boy or blue on a baby girl. Cause little babies and toddlers look alot alike. So putting a little boy in pink will confuse everybody. Hey what a pretty little girl and it is a boy. My son was in blue and people would go hey what a pretty little girl. He is pretty.

• Members
I wouldn't put pink on a baby boy or blue on a baby girl. Cause little babies and toddlers look alot alike. So putting a little boy in pink will confuse everybody. Hey what a pretty little girl and it is a boy. My son was in blue and people would go hey what a pretty little girl. He is pretty.

I had my baby in pink from head to toe in a store once and an old person said to me " is it a boy or a girl?' Ha! I don't think color matters, God made most male animals with more color than the female and some of those colors are pink.

Guest Guest

Haha I put my little boy in blue a lot because that is what baby boy outfits come in...and still have people tell me he's a nice little girl!

• Members

Is there any foundational basis on why a lot of men seem to err and be cautious about the colour pink?

Perhaps in this culture it was accepted mostly as a women's colour until more recently?

I am basing this on the pants factor. I agree that women wearing pants are an abomination.

Pants are men's clothing by our culture from what I understand. So why isn't pink a women's colour by our culture?

(That is our foundational culture)

How do we decided between?

I'm just trying to understand. I am looking for consistency.

For instance IFBs say music isn't neutral, so why are colours?

Thank you Jerry for referring to the King's wearing purple in the Bible.

I hope I make sense, God bless.

• Members

In the Bible both men and women wore purple...royalty...and also in Proverbs 31 its says that she wore silk and purple.

With clothing in general the things to go by are modesty and distinction. The pink thing would have nothing to do with modesty (as does pants, different thread) but distinction could come into play. But it could come into play with blue as well. So I don't know how hard we could draw the line there.

• Members
To me it is just a color. Women wear blue...

that's how I feel about it too!

BTW, homosexuals don't just stick to pastel colors - that is a myth. They come in all sizes, shapes, and colors, and many will go out of their way to appear "straight" - but stick to macho stereotypes like Cowboys, Construction Workers, and so forth.

538840653_452839dd1c_o.jpg

What one wears is not what makes one a homosexual - it is what one DOES that makes them a homosexual.

I believe that the scripture being referred to as "effiminate" would relate to people who like to cross-dress as the opposite sex. Not just the color of clothing , but the hair, makeup, shoes, etc. etc.

Like former Mayor and presidential bidder Rudy Guiliani:

rudydragcigar.jpg