• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Should men wear pink or purple?

• Members

I do not know if this topic has been discussed been it has come to my mind recently.

Do you believe it is wrong for men to wear pink or purple or other effeminite colours?

1 Corinthians 6:9
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

If so, on what basis can it be concluded that pink and purple are girl colours; besides basing it on culture? ( Is there any Biblical basis? )

I personally couldn't wear pink or purple because I think it's effeminate.

I was just wondering if anyone had more information on this subject.

Thank you, God bless.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I couldn't call it sin...but my husband won't wear them and we won't encourage our boys to wear it either. If our boys get older and decide to buy a pink or purple tie, we'll make fun of them LOL but we won't tell them no, unless my husband does...and then he does!

• Members

Kings wore purple robes in the Bible, so certainly it is not a sin to do so. I do believe men should not wear pink or salmon or any other pinkish colour. People try to tell me it doesn't matter - yet that is what our culture taught, and most of the men I see breaking those boundaries and putting on pink clothing are effeminate or people I do not trust to make right spiritual decisions.

Do I condemn some man because he put on a pink shirt? No, but it does make me uncomfortable - and I will not do so.

• Members

To say pink and purple are effeminate is ignorant. They are labeled such by our society. I would be quite angry if anyone told me I was a sinner for wearing a certain color of clothing. Now as Jerry said, it is a culture issue and I agree most men that wear pink are strange. So it makes a statement that Christians may not like. I'm just saying colors are neutral.

• Members
I'm glad they make mens pink polo shirts so I can shop in the men's department and avoid all the tightly clinging women's junk they have out there...

Uhoh! Did Kita just open a whole new can of worms? :lol:

I don't think it's a sin. A color is that...a color. I don't dress my son in pink. He doesn't like pink. My husband doesn't like pink. However, the men at church who wear pink or purple don't look effeminate.

• Members

Left to me alone, I would probably have nothing but Blue and Black pants and white shirts (No possibility of fashion mistakes). My wife, however buys all my clothes and, therefore, I have a pink, a purple, and a peach shirt. I wear them all to my conservative church and no one has ever brought it to me (or to my pastors as far as I know) as a problem. No one in their right mind would ever think of calling me effeminate. It has come up in conversation by some who have said it "looks good" and others that have said "not many others could pull off wearing pink".

I think Marcus pretty well nailed it:

To say pink and purple are effeminate is ignorant. They are labeled such by our society.

I would have to say if you are hung up on colors, you are the one with the problem. On the other hand, if my church had a policy against these shirt colors or the pastors told me to not wear them, then I would not wear them. They are only shirts, and they are only colors. Get over it. There are many more substantive issues that need to be addressed in most churches and Christian walks.

• Members

I wouldn't consider wearing such colors to be a sin.

Myself, I don't wear anything pink. I don't think I own any purple clothing either. I once had a purple t-shirt with a university logo on it that looked really cool. Myself and two friends got such shirts.

Of course, purple can come in differing shades, some would likely look much better on a man while others would probably be better avoided.

I know many years ago, and even when I was a young child, certain darker shades of pink were not an uncommon color for males to wear but eventually pink became overly associated with women and homosexuals that most straight men would no longer wear such.

• Members
To me it is just a color. Women wear blue...

Same with me. :Green

As with all of the colors there are things I like to see them on and things that gross me out to look at if they are that color.

Some examples::::

Gold::: Flowers and bushes, sunsets, metallic jewelry, but not for an automobile. JMHO. :wink :cool

Black::: This one is good for accenting other colors.

Pink and lavender::: Flowers and bushes, sunsets, clothing for ladies but not for men because they make statements about that man in our society.

• Members

Uhoh! Did Kita just open a whole new can of worms? :lol:

I don't think it's a sin. A color is that...a color. I don't dress my son in pink. He doesn't like pink. My husband doesn't like pink. However, the men at church who wear pink or purple don't look effeminate.

Shhhh not if nobody noticed! :wink

• Members

Shhhh not if nobody noticed! :wink

Oh, I noticed, but I' just a good 'ol boy :Green

Seriously though, I know many women who buy some of their clothing from the men's department because of the difference in the way the clothing is cut or styled which makes it more modest for a woman to wear.

Far too many things for women are designed to be more form fitting and therefore typically not modest.