• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are you an organ donor?

Are you an organ donor?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an organ donor?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
My husband said the same thing about being blown up or cremated....

And as far as blood or bone marrow transplants....yes we can make more but its still transplanting body fluid or substance into another body. And kidney transplant can be a living donor. Then some donations are from a dead donor. Its stairsteps...and I guess its easy to draw the line where you want to draw it, until you are the one who needs the heart transplant, or your kid is the one who needs a kidney transplant.

I want to know...those of you against organ donation (and I was there at one time myself!):

If the doctors said "Your child's liver is failing. If he does not get a transplant, he will die in 6 months." Would you decide to suddenly believe in organ transplants, or would you say "No thanks, we'll take a trip to Disney World and say good bye"?

I'm not against it, as I said. But I am awful cautious about it. If my child had a liver problem, I would tell the doctor that we needed to find someone who was willing to give him a piece of their liver. See - the liver will regrow if a piece is cut - and it will grow in the person in whom it is placed. I don't know why they don't use that procedure more often. More liver patients would be helped, without having to wait for anyone to die. We have a man in our church who doctors thought needed a liver transplant, and that's what they were going to do to him. Turned out that wasn't what he needed, but it's neat to know that can be done!

• Members

Not all people who don't want to donate an organ are against organ transplants, though some are.

Not all people are willing to butcher a whole hog but they are willing to eat pork chops.

Not all people who don't give blood are against transfusions.

Not all people who don't join the army are against the military.

• Members

I know, but I just think its ethical that if you are willing to take somebody else's organ, you should be willing to give up your own. Its like accepting everybody else's invitations to dinner but never inviting anyone yourself. Its not ethical.

And liver was just an example...any body part really, if you are willing to take, you should be willing to give. If you aren't willing to give, you should save the available body parts for someone who is.

I actually like the idea of that private club (I can't remember the name) that people sign up on, and they basically band together and say that if someone needs an organ, they can get it from the club, or if someone gives an organ, someone from the club has first dibs on it. That way they know that everyone who receives an organ is also a willing donor. I read about it in the news several years ago. Its not perfected, nor is it accepted in all circles, but its a great idea.

• Members

I just wanted to clarify and say...I'm not saying everyone should believe in organ donation. However I am saying that if you do NOT believe in it, I hope you do not take an organ someday to save your life. And if you DO believe in it, and are willing to take an organ, you should have "DONOR" on your license, because its only fair. I'm sorry, but if I had a wreck and became brain dead and somebody took my heart, I would hope it would go to a fellow donor rather than somebody who says all their life "I ain't letting nobody take MY organs!" and then greedily accepts somebody else's for themselves.

• Members
The way I think of it is what happens if you are blown to bits. Or burned up to ash. I think sometimes we forget how all-powerful God is.

yes, and that is exactly why I'm not sure....wouldn't want my eyeballs popping out of someones eyes when I am raptured. :eek See that is why bonemarrow or blood is different it is processed within min. and gone. Would I accept one for my child? Hard to say, but probably only a partial like a liver piece.

• Members
My ????'s in giving and recieving body parts is this. When the rapture occurs' date=' do your donated body parts go with you? I realize we are given new bodies, don't want to keep this one anyway, but will there suddenly be a liver or lung lying on the ground or an eye or heart suddenly gone? Sure would be funny to see the scientist come up with something to explain this. :lol: :puzzled:[/quote']
God can handle it. My sister in law proudly (Yes, proudly) boasts of not participating in Locks of Love because she says women shouldn't cut their hair. My wife has always had long hair, but gets it cut short once every year or so when she donates to LOL. Jesus criticized the pharisees for holding the law over kindness to others. While that concept is being perverted and abused today, if you feel it is an act of generocity and kindness, like Locks of Love or organ donation, then God will handle the other details.

That being said, I do not trust the doctors who abort 4,000 babies a day, and rationalized the torture and murder of Terri Schiavo and others like her. Generosity is one thing, gullibility is quite another.

• Members
I just wanted to clarify and say...I'm not saying everyone should believe in organ donation. However I am saying that if you do NOT believe in it' date=' I hope you do not take an organ someday to save your life. And if you DO believe in it, and are willing to take an organ, you should have "DONOR" on your license, because its only fair. I'm sorry, but if I had a wreck and became brain dead and somebody took my heart, I would hope it would go to a fellow donor rather than somebody who says all their life "I ain't letting nobody take MY organs!" and then greedily accepts somebody else's for themselves.[/quote']

I am strong against organ donating. I think I have told why before, but here it is again. Kitagrl mentioned if she became brain dead. 4 years ago my mother was declared brain dead. They wanted us to OK organ donation. We said no. This past Sunday my wife and I had mom up for mothers day dinner. She played the piano at church, as she does every sunday. I ate lunch with her today. She is not back to what she once was, but is able to be home and happy. If we had agreed to donate her organs, I would have went to the hill north of us on Sunday, and left roses on a marble stone in honor of her. I would not accept an organ, as I feel that they kill many people in order to harvest their organs. And before you say they would not do that, look at all the healthy babies that the medical field murders every year. Why not a few unhealthy adults for the common good??

• Members
I am strong against organ donating. I think I have told why before' date=' but here it is again. Kitagrl mentioned if she became brain dead. 4 years ago my mother was declared brain dead. They wanted us to OK organ donation. We said no. This past Sunday my wife and I had mom up for mothers day dinner. She played the piano at church, as she does every sunday. I ate lunch with her today. She is not back to what she once was, but is able to be home and happy. If we had agreed to donate her organs, I would have went to the hill north of us on Sunday, and left roses on a marble stone in honor of her. I would not accept an organ, as I feel that they kill many people in order to harvest their organs. And before you say they would not do that, look at all the healthy babies that the medical field murders every year. Why not a few unhealthy adults for the common good??[/quote']I am not necessarily against organ donation (certainly not for the reasons some have given about the rapture). I am actually in favor of the procedure when it is performed ethically and according to the desires of the person donating the organ. I see no ethical problem whatsoever with live donors donating body parts they can live without (like kidneys, blood, etc.). I hope that when I die, some of my organs will be salvageable enough to give to someone else. That said, rancher is right when he questions the motives of certain health professionals who try to harvest organs too early. Certainly, care should be taken by family members to ensure that things are done in a proper way. In rancher's mom's case, the right choice was made.

Regarding the "Rapture" argument...Our bodies will be new ones, completely new creations. Obviously, those people whose bodies have been crippled, mangled or burned in explosions (or completely crushed, ruined, cremated) will not receive their exact (crippled, maimed, etc.) body parts back. God will obviously recreate them--will make new bodies for these people. If someone's old body parts are being used in an unbeliever's body, they won't "pop out." That might make for an interesting special effect in a "left behind" type movie, but it's more sensational than biblical. Think about the billions of people who have died and decomposed completely...no eyes left at all--those molecules fertilized an ancient garden and have now been assimilated into a tree or earth, or have washed into the ocean and become a part of the underwater plant or animal life. Will God use those exact molecules to recreate these people's bodies? I don't think so...Why should He have to? He can create ex nihilo, out of nothing! If He doesn't have to use the exact molecules that made up, say, Paul's body, then why should he have to use the exact old body parts (living inside someone else) to recreate those who have died more recently?

• Members

:goodpost:
I am an organ donor, as are my parents, who gave permission. I agree that early havesting is wrong, and qualifies as murder, but when we die, we don't need out organs anymore. In case of rapture, if I am alive, sorry, no one gets them. If I am dead, then those organs are no longer mine, but I gave them away.

• 3 weeks later...