Online Baptist

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

A friend and I talked to two Mormon Missionaries who approached us as we worked on my sons truck. It turned into an hour + conversation. They got very interested when I told them I attended the Mormon Church as a boy. Their Joy left when I told them I was an Assistant Pastor of a Baptist Church. I have talked to many mormons and Mormon missionaries. They all have something different to say. The last one ( about a year ago) said the Book of Mormon was just a bunch of stories to help us understand the Bible. :loco

These guys had certain verses memorized which they quoted way way way out of context to fit baptism of the dead and the like. When I asked them to turn to the verse they refered to (1 Peter 4:6) they could not even find 1 Peter in the Bible, we had to show them.

They got mad and quit talking to us when we brought up the DNA results that have proven the Book of Mormon wrong as to where it says the nephites come from. They did not like that and exused themselves from the conversation.

They were shocked every time we would quote scripture to them, or correct thier error of teaching on a verse. They did not expect that at all.

It showed me the importance of keeping up on my scripture memory.

It broke my heart that these two boys have taken the lie hook, line, and sinker, based on what someone told them.

We challenged them to read John and Romans without the book of mormon and to pray for the wisdom of God for the truth, not what they think is truth. They said they would but I think thier answer was just to appease us.

It was exciting to witness to them but also very sad to watch them walk away in their errant belief.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone. I'm new here so please bear with me. I am a former Mormon. I was in the lds church for 30 years. Raised in it. I loved it! Leaving was very difficult because, like the missionaries you

I just got informed that one of my friends just got baptised in the Mormon Faith and saying they can't have thier families there because the marriage in the Mormon church is not death to us part. Any

Sadly that is one of the biggest problems in tryint to reach people; they just don't recognize their spiritual condition. They may be very nice people who would do anything for anyone and would never

It's a shame to see such dedication and committment to service to a false religion...especially when one looks about at how hard it can be to get Christians to do anything.

The last ones I encountered decided they were ready to leave when I told them I was Baptist...wonder why?

Not that I would ever ever ever try to chase the good inside of the bad. But look at how aggressively they go soulwinning.

I think its kinda hard to believe those dudes would go soulwinning regardless of whether it was -40

Your not rambling.

Their motivation is to earn their place in Heaven, they basically told us that. We just get lazy about soul winning in part because we do not have to earn our way to heaven. We should be doing it out of love and devotion to Christ. The Lord has convicted me on soul winning big time. Talk about a trip to the spiritual wood shed. :ooops

Guest Guest
Not that I would ever ever ever try to chase the good inside of the bad. But look at how aggressively they go soulwinning.

I think its kinda hard to believe those dudes would go soulwinning regardless of whether it was -40
  • Advanced Member
Your not rambling.

Their motivation is to earn their place in Heaven, they basically told us that. We just get lazy about soul winning in part because we do not have to earn our way to heaven. We should be doing it out of love and devotion to Christ. The Lord has convicted me on soul winning big time. Talk about a trip to the spiritual wood shed. :ooops

So true a couple of Mormons came to my door the other day...but I was at home alone and I am a lady so I didn't want to open the door Mormon or not. But IT was 50 degrees outside that day and raining cats and dogs and here they were standing on my doorstep...convicted me.
It's because Christians know you don't have to work in order to obtain salvation...But these are trying to do so...which is absolutely no excuse for the backwardsness of some Christians

True.

It's a shame our love and thankfulness for our Lord and Saviour doesn't prompt us to be even more dedicated.
  • Advanced Member

I just got informed that one of my friends just got baptised in the Mormon Faith and saying they can't have thier families there because the marriage in the Mormon church is not death to us part. Anyhow she don't want me to debate with her and this is the one that was Wiccan a few months ago. I just keep them in prayers and just show Christian love to people that disagrees with me.

I just got informed that one of my friends just got baptised in the Mormon Faith and saying they can't have thier families there because the marriage in the Mormon church is not death to us part. Anyhow she don't want me to debate with her and this is the one that was Wiccan a few months ago. I just keep them in prayers and just show Christian love to people that disagrees with me.

That's sad :sad

Will pray also :pray
  • 1 month later...
We live in an age where committment to religiion is just a given. When you ask someone if they know Jesus Christ the first thing that they will say is I am this religion or that religion. There are few that know what a relationship with Jesus Christ is all about.

Very sad, but very true. :sad

When trying to talk to someone about salvation it's so common to hear, "Well, I'm a Methodist...Catholic...Baptist...Lutheran...church member...choir member...Sunday School teacher...Christian....

They tend to not want to go beyond that initial profession. They also often get offended that their statement wasn't enough to make you smile and think highly of them.
  • Advanced Member

So true John. Even evangelicals will think highly of these statements by church members. My in-laws go to a SBC church and my father-inlaw is the head deacon. This woman who is a leader in the church told me her testimony. She said she was Methodist and converted to Baptist about 15 yrs ago. I told my in-laws they didn't see a problem with this testimony and they told don't me don't judge. Taking the don't judge verse out of context has led to many lost members in leadership positions. No wonder the word evangelical pretty much means nothing today.

I know just what you mean. It's becoming almost a bad thing today to actually ask someone if they are born again or not...and especially if you ask them to explain why/how they believe they are born again.

I can still remember when few used the term born again, but today it's become a popular term that even many Catholics use! In other words, that term alone means nothing unless the person who claims to be born again can give a clear, biblical testimony as to what that means.

Of course, when we ask these questions we are "wrongfully judging others".

It's sad to think of how many tens of thousands here in America alone have wrapped themselves in religious garb, in religious speak, and believe they are okay with God, but are yet blind and deaf to the truth. :sad

• Advanced Member

Born again is a too churchy word to most new types. I did EE at my old church and that is what the curiculum said. I think the popular church today has taken notes from the Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, and the church at Rome. It seems they want to change their foundations just enough to make people think they are new and fresh.

No doubt, once they corrupt the old terms they set out to create something "new and fresh". :gross:

For many, this means "personal experience". Too often this "personal experience" is, or was, nothing more than an emotional experience.

Then there are many who overemphasis the Holy Spirit and "experiences" with Him.

Some push "personal experiences" in "spiritual warfare" where they actually encourage folks to seek out demons and confront them!

The largest, fastest growing churches in this area are the ones who give folks the "personal experience" of a "spiritual high" through rockin' entertainment from beginning of services to the end.

Guest Guest

When I got saved out of the RCC, God really spoke to my heart. He told me..."If you can work that hard for Satan...imagine what you can do for the Lord?" This phrase is the reason that witnessing is so very important to me. The Devil has millions of people with good morals and values blinded to the truth. :sad

We have been given a "priceless" free gift which none of us deserves. If we present the Gospel to the lost world...we have done what the Lord Jesus has commanded us to do..."The Great Commission." It isn't an option for IFB's, it is a commandment. :thumb If a soul gets saved? The next step for IFB's is to disciple them. Isn't this want God expects from His children?

When I got saved out of the RCC, God really spoke to my heart. He told me..."If you can work that hard for Satan...imagine what you can do for the Lord?" This phrase is the reason that witnessing is so very important to me. The Devil has millions of people with good morals and values blinded to the truth. :sad

We have been given a "priceless" free gift which none of us deserves. If we present the Gospel to the lost world...we have done what the Lord Jesus has commanded us to do..."The Great Commission." It isn't an option for IFB's, it is a commandment. :thumb If a soul gets saved? The next step for IFB's is to disciple them. Isn't this want God expects from His children?

:amen:

They work hard to earn heaven. We are secure in heaven sealed by the holy spirit Eph 1:13

It is a shame that we do not spend more time trying to earn rewards for the Lord I Cor 3

I know the more I work for the Lord, I feel like I do less. I know that is the Holy Spirit leading me to be an apporved workman. 2 Tim 2:15

I dont know about anyone else but when I give account to the Lord of myself, I have some things to answer for. But ive also learned not to look back, but to keep moving forward. Keep witnessing to those mormons and JW's and the like. Sew the seeds, God will give the increase. We have a preacher that will be here in 2 weeks. He was a mormon for 38 years. He was won by the conversation of his wife.

Priase God. :amen:

God Bless you all. :wave:

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

I just love to hear this!! Christian women who pray for and love their husband's to the Lord! The fact that the Lord even uses us to bring our husband's to the Lord is so humbling. Praise the Lord!! in Christ, His by Grace

They work hard to earn heaven. We are secure in heaven sealed by the holy spirit Eph 1:13

It is a shame that we do not spend more time trying to earn rewards for the Lord I Cor 3

I know the more I work for the Lord, I feel like I do less. I know that is the Holy Spirit leading me to be an apporved workman. 2 Tim 2:15

I dont know about anyone else but when I give account to the Lord of myself, I have some things to answer for. But ive also learned not to look back, but to keep moving forward. Keep witnessing to those mormons and JW's and the like. Sew the seeds, God will give the increase. We have a preacher that will be here in 2 weeks. He was a mormon for 38 years. He was won by the conversation of his wife.

Priase God. :amen:

God Bless you all. :wave:

No doubt, once they corrupt the old terms they set out to create something "new and fresh". :gross:

For many, this means "personal experience". Too often this "personal experience" is, or was, nothing more than an emotional experience.

Then there are many who overemphasis the Holy Spirit and "experiences" with Him.

Yeah, that's what happened to me when I first got religion. I say "got religion" because that's all it was. I was just playing religious games. I didn't get saved until several years later.

Some push "personal experiences" in "spiritual warfare" where they actually encourage folks to seek out demons and confront them!

I've met people like this. My response to them is "Oh, goody. Which one of the Seven Sons of Sceva are you"?

The largest, fastest growing churches in this area are the ones who give folks the "personal experience" of a "spiritual high" through rockin' entertainment from beginning of services to the end.

John, if it makes you feel any better, our church went from 22 people to roughly 350 in about three years and I have heard people say over and over that the reason they wanted to join our church so badly is that we were one of the few in our area who were just preaching the word of God and fulfilling the requirements the New Testamant lays out for the church, and not doing any of the seeker sensitive, emergent silliness.

I'm also getting reports from our sister churches and friends in other churches that Bible believing churches are growing. Fewer in number, but those that remain are seeing sharp increases in membership.

What that tells me is that the good churches are weeding out false converts, pew warmers, and the "entertain me" crowd. While those folks just go on to join or form bad churches, it allows the good churches to get down to the business of preaching the Gospel.[/align]

Yes, I do believe the sheep and goats are being more clearly separated. Our church experienced some good growth for several years, we've leveled off now, and much of the growth came from various churches falling apart due to fights over liberalism.

Many of our members drive long distances to attend our church because there just are not other good churches near them.

I see good churches doing good, but they are fewer than they used to be and many folks have to do a lot of travelling to attend them.

• Tools for the Ministry

DeputyDog530 in your original post you said this:

It broke my heart that these two boys have taken the lie hook, line, and sinker, based on what someone told them.

That is the key to winning LDS or Jehovah's Witness', a broken heart.

Short Story: Shortly after my wife and I were saved, my fahter-in-law converted to Mormonism and took the rest of the family at home into LDS. We were heartsick. It cause me to learn alot about the LDS church. I began witnessing to the missionary boys and girls in Texas while I was in Bible College. In a sense, I used to tear their heads off. One day the Lord got ahold of me and let me know that I would not have good results until I loved them like he does. Wow! That blew me away. I changed the way I saw them and the results were noticable.

I used to use "anti" material, i.e., stuff about Joseph Smith, changes in the Standard Works (Book of Mormon, Doctrines and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price,) etc., but I found that scripture alone is best. Why use a one-edged butterknife when you can use a two-edged sword?

Relationship opens doors. See them as they are, people just like you and me trying to find their way into the kingdom (and yes, I believe in eternal salvation, just using a literary phrase.)

Dan 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

DeputyDog530 in your original post you said this:

That is the key to winning LDS or Jehovah's Witness', a broken heart.

Short Story: Shortly after my wife and I were saved, my fahter-in-law converted to Mormonism and took the rest of the family at home into LDS. We were heartsick. It cause me to learn alot about the LDS church. I began witnessing to the missionary boys and girls in Texas while I was in Bible College. In a sense, I used to tear their heads off. One day the Lord got ahold of me and let me know that I would not have good results until I loved them like he does. Wow! That blew me away. I changed the way I saw them and the results were noticable.

I used to use "anti" material, i.e., stuff about Joseph Smith, changes in the Standard Works (Book of Mormon, Doctrines and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price,) etc., but I found that scripture alone is best. Why use a one-edged butterknife when you can use a two-edged sword?

Relationship opens doors. See them as they are, people just like you and me trying to find their way into the kingdom (and yes, I believe in eternal salvation, just using a literary phrase.)

Dan 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.

Good post. :thumb:
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

I had some Mormon kids come to my door the other day. I gave them water and spoke with them for a little while. I have been lukewarm at best so im in position to battle. I do wish that fundalmental Baptist were as committed as they are to be fishers of men. I know that they are wrong in their interprtations, this is evident when you talk to them but they are spreading the word. Should we as Christians be mean to them or try to show them where they are wrong?

I always try to run them over with my SUV when I see them on their little bikes. :icon_mrgreen:

Just kidding.

They are dedicated, and more Christians need to be out soul winning and knocking doors like the Mormons do. The only people who’ve knocked on my door are JWs, Mormons, and other people from my church who didn't know I lived there.

Aggressive New Testament soul wining is dead in modern day Christianity for the most part.

Those who believe they're saved by works, many times are very hard workers, but if your around them at the right time you will find they're very hard players, with those works they're trying to cancel out the playing time.

• 1 year later...

I've been debating (ahh witnessing) to a Mormon in the comments section of a Breitbart article for several days now. A good many of them flooded the comments section to defend their faith from the comments of the FOX News commentator who said Romney wasn't a Christian.

Their beliefs are tied to the Book of Mormon. Without it the Bible doesn't make any sense to them. I've been able to get him to agree that salvation by grace is through repentence and faith but he soon returns to their ways and considers repentence as works. Then I might have even gotten him to realize that you don't need works to get to heaven. I've prayed a lot for this fellow. He's very sincere and wants to do right by the Lord. Maybe some of y'all could witness to him too.

In the same thread there is a conservative atheist. Isn't that a contradiction! Well, I called myself that too not so long ago! hehehe In our debates he's been pouring through his Bible for 3 days. One of our last discussions was about the Flood and that man walked alongside dinosaurs. He asked that I prove it and once pointed in the right direction I have not heard back from him since yesterday. Please pray for this fellow too. He's also a husband and father and would hate for them not to know the Lord because of their unbelief in the Gospel.

Yes, how can you debate a lost person about the Bible when he does not believe the Bible is God's true Word to mankind? I feel that is a no win debate. Plus we know for fact the lost man will never understand the wisdom of God, for its foolishness to him. I've heard several wise men state they would not debate the Bible with lost people. They would gladly present them the plan of salvation, and if they kept trying to debate the Bible, they would move on, simply because of the truth in theses verses

1Co 2:13,14 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Edited to add this.

Now if a lost person comes to you asking questions about the Bible, it would be nice to try and answer them, yet not getting into a debate. So many times when debating, even if you win, you still lose.

Edited by Jerry80871852

I believe that in order to open their heart one must first shake the foundation that their beliefs are built upon. A person's belief system can be likened to a stool and if one of the legs breaks, the stool comes crashing down. That's when people are most apt to change.

There are folks skilled at subtlety, that's never been a strong point for me. I've always gone straight for the jugular.

Christ called the Pharisees vipers and hypocrites to their faces, showed them the error of their ways and then preached the gospel. Is there another biblical model or am I missing something else?