• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mormon Missionaries

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I've been debating (ahh witnessing) to a Mormon in the comments section of a Breitbart article for several days now. A good many of them flooded the comments section to defend their faith from the comments of the FOX News commentator who said Romney wasn't a Christian.

Their beliefs are tied to the Book of Mormon. Without it the Bible doesn't make any sense to them. I've been able to get him to agree that salvation by grace is through repentence and faith but he soon returns to their ways and considers repentence as works. Then I might have even gotten him to realize that you don't need works to get to heaven. I've prayed a lot for this fellow. He's very sincere and wants to do right by the Lord. Maybe some of y'all could witness to him too.

In the same thread there is a conservative atheist. Isn't that a contradiction! Well, I called myself that too not so long ago! hehehe In our debates he's been pouring through his Bible for 3 days. One of our last discussions was about the Flood and that man walked alongside dinosaurs. He asked that I prove it and once pointed in the right direction I have not heard back from him since yesterday. Please pray for this fellow too. He's also a husband and father and would hate for them not to know the Lord because of their unbelief in the Gospel.

• Members

Yes, how can you debate a lost person about the Bible when he does not believe the Bible is God's true Word to mankind? I feel that is a no win debate. Plus we know for fact the lost man will never understand the wisdom of God, for its foolishness to him. I've heard several wise men state they would not debate the Bible with lost people. They would gladly present them the plan of salvation, and if they kept trying to debate the Bible, they would move on, simply because of the truth in theses verses

1Co 2:13,14 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Edited to add this.

Now if a lost person comes to you asking questions about the Bible, it would be nice to try and answer them, yet not getting into a debate. So many times when debating, even if you win, you still lose.

Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

I believe that in order to open their heart one must first shake the foundation that their beliefs are built upon. A person's belief system can be likened to a stool and if one of the legs breaks, the stool comes crashing down. That's when people are most apt to change.

There are folks skilled at subtlety, that's never been a strong point for me. I've always gone straight for the jugular.

Christ called the Pharisees vipers and hypocrites to their faces, showed them the error of their ways and then preached the gospel. Is there another biblical model or am I missing something else?

• Members

Yes, the Scriptures, as applied by the Spirit, appeal to and change the heart. While the intellect may be involved, and while what is convicted by the Spirit is true, yet for the intellect to be convinced by an argument isn't enough. Someone can subscribe to a new opinion, without having undergone a heart conversion.

• Members

Our duty is to plant a seed, and let the Holy Spirit do the convicting. If we try to do the latter we will make a mess out of it.

Amen, that's it in a nutshell. Also, we can bring the law of God to them. Ask them about the 10 Commandments and if they have kept them. Then ask them if they are guilty before God. Since we ALL are guilty of transgressing God's law there is only one thing that can save us. Jesus Christ..

• Members

Amen, that's it in a nutshell. Also, we can bring the law of God to them. Ask them about the 10 Commandments and if they have kept them. Then ask them if they are guilty before God. Since we ALL are guilty of transgressing God's law there is only one thing that can save us. Jesus Christ..

:thumb: :amen: Edited by farouk

• Members

If we talk them into it, someone else can come along and talk them out of it, yet if the Holy Sprint convicts, the outcome is much different. And I firmly believe many that has professed faith where talked into it, without the conviction of the Holy Spirit. We need to be sure to do only our part, and not infringe on the part the Holy Spirit takes care of.

And of course, to them that are lost, the Gospel of Jesus Christ is foolishness.

• Members

Put simple, one plants the seed, and another waters it, & God gives the increase. Some try to do all 3, I know not if any of you do or not and I'm sure not saying you do. I do know that some think if they talk, debate, argue, with a person long enough they will convince them, that is they go past just seed planting.