• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mormon Missionaries

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hi everyone. I'm new here so please bear with me.

I am a former Mormon. I was in the lds church for 30 years. Raised in it. I loved it! Leaving was very difficult because, like the missionaries you met, I sincerely believed.

What's important to understand is that there is a mental disconnect between your mouth and the Mormon's brain. I don't mean this to be insulting. But the LDS church uses Christian terms with LDS meanings attached.

Allow me to show you an example from Bruce McKonkies seminal work: MORMON DOCTRINE.

SALVATION BY GRACE
"Since all good things come by the grace of God (that is, by his love and mercay, and condescension), it follows that salvation itself-in all its forms and degrees- is bestowed because of this infinite goodness. However, one of the untrue doctrines found in modern Christendom is the concept that man can gain salvation (meaning in the kingdom of God) by grace alone and without obedience....

Immortality is afree gift and comes without works or righteousness of any sort; all men will come forth in the resurrection because of the atoning sacrifice of Christ....

Salvation in the celestial kingdom of God, however, is not salvation by grace alone. Rather, it is salvation by grace coupled with obedience to the laws and ordinances of the [mormon] gospel....

Immortality comes by grace alone, but those who gain it may find themselves damned in eternity."

(Bruce McKonkie, Mormon Doctrine, paperback copy, 1979 pp670-671)

In LDS theology it's believed men become gods and enter into the celestial kingdom. In this light, the above means people are "damned up" like a dam in a lake. There is no damnation to eternal hell. All people go to some level of heaven (except people like me- apostates).

its essential to understand the LDS understanding of terms when dialoging with LDS missionaries (or any other mormon).

• Members

Our church helps support an outreach to Mormons and one of the biggest obstacles is that Mormons see themselves as being "good" while they see Christians as living like the world.

This is an even bigger factor for those trying to witness to Muslims.

Do you guys ever have cult ministries come speak? Or former cultists?

• Members

Hi everyone. I'm new here so please bear with me.

I am a former Mormon. I was in the lds church for 30 years. Raised in it. I loved it! Leaving was very difficult because, like the missionaries you met, I sincerely believed.

Welcome aboard! Thanks for highlighting their teachings. The leadership essentially changed the meaning of biblical words to promote their doctrines while at the same time replacing those of the Scriptures. We see that in political parties today too!

How were you saved?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I used to be a mormon, thankfully i never stuck around long enough to go on a mission, What great sorrow it would have brought me to turn people away from the truth of GOD and into the pits of hell. We must pray for our mormon missionaries we get at the door and pray for wisdom to witness the true doctorine of christ to them when they turn up at our doors!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My father-in-law brought his (3rd) wife, their 6 children, and a step-brother into the LDS church after Darlene and I got saved. He tried everything to get us to "convert." I began reading all the LDS literature I could get my hands on. I would find the missionaries biking or walking along, stop, and engage them in, sometimes, hours of discussion. I soon realized my spirit wasn't right and what I really wanted to do was use the Bible to give them a "holy" whippin.' Then the Lord shed light on this in my quiet time, and he began to give me a love for these (usually) young people. After that our talks were more productive and I even saw some fruit. I never had one, "convert," that I know of, but had many tell me they were going to seriously consider what I had shown them.

• Members

My father-in-law brought his (3rd) wife, their 6 children, and a step-brother into the LDS church after Darlene and I got saved. He tried everything to get us to "convert." I began reading all the LDS literature I could get my hands on. I would find the missionaries biking or walking along, stop, and engage them in, sometimes, hours of discussion. I soon realized my spirit wasn't right and what I really wanted to do was use the Bible to give them a "holy" whippin.' Then the Lord shed light on this in my quiet time, and he began to give me a love for these (usually) young people. After that our talks were more productive and I even saw some fruit. I never had one, "convert," that I know of, but had many tell me they were going to seriously consider what I had shown them.

In the early 90's I got in contact with a sister I had not met since I was about 1&1/2 years of age. After we had met, got to know one another, she started trying to get me to convert to Mormonism. Started out by trying to tell me how bad they had been treated, worse than any other people in history. I told her how bad us Baptist had been treated by the RCC, & how to truly be saved. This went on over a 6 month period in exchanging letters discussing this, & childhood, & the years we had been apart.

Finally she would not have nothing to do with me because I refused this Mormon teachings, & she is still rather cool towards me, & we hardly ever have any contact.

You may never know if there any success in telling, or trying to point someone towards God's truths. All we can hope for I suppose is that we plant a seed of truth, & at sometime it will spout, or someone else will water, & God give the increase.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I have studied lds and been on thier on line forums

They have zero and I mean zero everidence of thier existence before te mid 1800's
Joesph smith even left the lds church he founded for 6 months to attened a Methodist church because it wasn't working out.

Lds is pure polytheist they re wrote the bible to promote these views

Ask your family for historical proof they can't

• Members

I have studied lds and been on thier on line forums

They have zero and I mean zero everidence of thier existence before te mid 1800's
Joesph smith even left the lds church he founded for 6 months to attened a Methodist church because it wasn't working out.

Ask your family for historical proof they can't

They serve the same god as you Adamski ---------- very easy to prove. You are exactly the same kind of nut - a cult religion centered on Baal.

• Members

The RCs are also polytheist. They worship Mary, Peter and all the saints,the host. The RC priest must be more powerful than God, as he can, he says, call down god from heaven, to appear in their wafer. The Roman Pantheon has its equivalent in the church of all saints. The same lump of metal, worshiped by the pagans as Jupiter, is now worshiped by Catholics as Peter.
Roman Catholicism is NOT Christian, but pagan.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I have had plenty of Mormon elders and sisters come to my door over the years. My wife is a former Mormon and loves these people dearly.

While it's true they can be wonderful people, my experience with some of them was not at all positive. It seems that today they have gotten more bold. Elders will sit with my wife for an hour when I am not at home, although their rules disallow this..I had 2 young sister missionaries tell me that my baptism didn't count because it wasn't done in their church. I felt disrespected in my own home.

I always make sure I share the Gospel with them, but they will often say that I only have some of the truth and they alone have all of it. It's frustrating and requires much patience and prayer.

• Members
On 4/10/2010 at 1:34 PM, Brother Rick said:

I always try to run them over with my SUV when I see them on their little bikes. :icon_mrgreen:

Just kidding.

They are dedicated, and more Christians need to be out soul winning and knocking doors like the Mormons do. The only people who’ve knocked on my door are JWs, Mormons, and other people from my church who didn't know I lived there.

Aggressive New Testament soul wining is dead in modern day Christianity for the most part.

I haven't seen them on bikes in these parts in years. They drive church owned late model cars. The other day, I spotted them in a nice shiny truck.