• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mormon Missionaries

• Members

Put simple, one plants the seed, and another waters it, & God gives the increase. Some try to do all 3, I know not if any of you do or not and I'm sure not saying you do. I do know that some think if they talk, debate, argue, with a person long enough they will convince them, that is they go past just seed planting.

Couldn't we also do the "watering" as someone else had probably already planted seeds?

• Administrators

Many times when we are dealing with someone, it takes more time than just planting a seed. There are times when God would have us also water that same seed. An example would be one of my hubby's co-workers. He has been witnessing to this man and his wife for over a year. But not just witnessing. He prays with them (at their request). He helps the man with car issues, etc. He could quite , saying that he's planted so someone else needs to water...but that wouldn't be right! (another example is actually preaching....if a lost person comes to church more than once and hears God's Word, the seed's been planted and watered...)

swath - online conversations are sometimes hard to have, because there are no facial tics or body language giveaways. If, in your discussions, you quote God's Word, instead of trying to argue points just to argue, the Holy Spirit can work.

• Members

Many times when we are dealing with someone, it takes more time than just planting a seed. There are times when God would have us also water that same seed. An example would be one of my hubby's co-workers. He has been witnessing to this man and his wife for over a year. But not just witnessing. He prays with them (at their request). He helps the man with car issues, etc. He could quite , saying that he's planted so someone else needs to water...but that wouldn't be right! (another example is actually preaching....if a lost person comes to church more than once and hears God's Word, the seed's been planted and watered...)

swath - online conversations are sometimes hard to have, because there are no facial tics or body language giveaways. If, in your discussions, you quote God's Word, instead of trying to argue points just to argue, the Holy Spirit can work.

HappyChristian:

I hope you guys see your dh's coworker converted. Keep praying :) .

• Members

We are. It's really an amazing thing - the guy loves my hubby, gives him stuff all the time, listens to him talk about the Bible....but just won't get saved...

HappyChristian:

Yes, well, 1 Thess.5: "Pray without ceasing". My wife and I have a long list of folk we pray for every day. It's a vital exercise. Blessings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been doing my best to quote from the Bible for its words are far more powerful and wise than my own!

the guy loves my hubby, gives him stuff all the time, listens to him talk about the Bible....but just won't get saved...

I bet there is a sin that this fellow is just not willing to let go of. He probably would if you could get it out into the light of day though. Then he'll be ripe for the picking!

• Administrators

swath - I think the big problem is that he just doesn't see himself as a sinner. He's a really nice guy, will help anyone. Keep up quoting scripture and praying! God promises that His Word won't go out void. My hubby holds to that with his co-worker. Remember George Mueller prayed for two men for years and years. They both got saved, but one didn't until after GM died.

• Members

swath - I think the big problem is that he just doesn't see himself as a sinner. He's a really nice guy, will help anyone. Keep up quoting scripture and praying! God promises that His Word won't go out void. My hubby holds to that with his co-worker. Remember George Mueller prayed for two men for years and years. They both got saved, but one didn't until after GM died.

Sadly that is one of the biggest problems in tryint to reach people; they just don't recognize their spiritual condition. They may be very nice people who would do anything for anyone and would never think of hurting others. They may even be "religious" but have not been saved. At times all you can do is pray for them.

• Members

There are a lot of people who don't believe in "sin" and many who have the idea that they are good enough and will make it to heaven. Most people tend to think of themselves as being good or decent. Even many criminals think of themselves as not really being that bad because they have their own code and they don't do certain crimes and they despise those who do.

All of this makes it difficult to reach these people. Most of them have heard just enough about Christianity to either dismiss it or to have decided they can have it their way, or the ever more common "all religions are the same" idea.

Devout Mormons and Muslims, for instance, tend to think they are very good people, much better than Christians, and based upon surface appearances this often seems to be true.

• Members

There are a lot of people who don't believe in "sin" and many who have the idea that they are good enough and will make it to heaven. Most people tend to think of themselves as being good or decent. Even many criminals think of themselves as not really being that bad because they have their own code and they don't do certain crimes and they despise those who do.

All of this makes it difficult to reach these people. Most of them have heard just enough about Christianity to either dismiss it or to have decided they can have it their way, or the ever more common "all religions are the same" idea.

Devout Mormons and Muslims, for instance, tend to think they are very good people, much better than Christians, and based upon surface appearances this often seems to be true.

That's because many who are not Christians consider themselves to be so. Others consider them to be so. They know just enough to make themselves dangerous to themselves and others.

• Members

Part of the reason they feel that way is the fault of many Christians, for many Christians will be best friends & even business partner with very ungodly people never speaking about the condition of their soul for fear of ruining what they call a close friendship or & even worse than that to them, a profitable business relationship.

• Members

Part of the reason they feel that way is the fault of many Christians, for many Christians will be best friends & even business partner with very ungodly people never speaking about the condition of their soul for fear of ruining what they call a close friendship or & even worse than that to them, a profitable business relationship.

That's true. I was talking with our pastors last night prior to our board meetings and we touched upon the subject of how so many Christians are always trying to tell everyone we are just like them. As our pastor said, if you claim to be a Christian but you are just like the unsaved, there is something wrong. I pointed out that if Christians claim to be just like the unsaved, why should the unsaved want to become Christians if they are already like them?

There should be obvious differences the unsaved see when they look upon Christians. Our lives should be plainly different. Yet when the world looks at Christians they most often see the world looking right back at them.

• Members

Your right, its nearly impossible to tell most Christian families from a family of unbeliever. Most confessing Christians are just as worldly as the unbeliever, in a race to have just as much material goods as the unbeliever that lives next door.

1Ti 2:1 ¶ I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
1Ti 2:2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
1Ti 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

How many professing Christians live a life as described in the above verse?