• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kayla

John81

Where do you plan on getting your degree?

I had actually considered teaching. After I received my Bachelor's degree I took distance classes towards a Master's in Education through BYU and the University of Iowa.

I would say that I'm a pretty flexible teacher. hehe
I have high expectations, though, and I'm somewhat strict. But I never "read from the book." :frog

Sounds good! :thumb

Seriously, that professor would get up to the podium, open the book to what we were supposed to have already read and just start reading. I suppose if she had been a more dramatic reader it wouldn't have been near as bad, but she read monotone for what seemed an eternity. Occasionaly she would pause to expound on something or answer a question but even then she typically would never say anything beyond what was in the reading or some handout she had used.

One of my favorite professors would go over the book the first day of class. He would tell us what we were going to study from the book and then he would tell us what we were not going to study from the book and why. He would often leave out several chapters and he would take the time to explain what the flaws were in those chapters and why it would be a waste of our time to bother covering them in class.

He was very practical and honest; and also the only rather conservative minded professor I had.

In my oldest/most advanced class, I have the kids read ahead of time and then we discuss it during class. I take a lot of their advice for changes they would like or how the class could be more effective.

Tell me then' date=' what is it you have been doing with your time away if not reading that book? :Green[/quote']

She has trouble with the big words . . . like "the," "a," "or," "and." :pmpkn:

How about this difficult word?

Lovers of the English language might enjoy this. It is yet another example of why people learning English have trouble with the language. Learning the nuances of English makes it a difficult language. (But then, that's probably true of many languages.)

There is a two-letter word in English that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that word is 'UP.' It is listed in the dictionary as being used as an [adv], [prep], [adj], [n] or [v].

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP?
At a meeting, why does a topic come UP ? Why do we speak UP, and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report? We call UP our friends and we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver, we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car.
At other times the little word has a real special meaning.. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special.

And this up is confusing:
A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP.

We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night. We seem to be pretty mixed UPabout UP !

To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP , look the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4 of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions

If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP . When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP. When it rains, it wets UP the earth. When it does not rain for awhile, things dry UP.

One could go on & on, but I'll wrap it UP , for now ........my time is UP , so its time for me to shut UP!