• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

John81

Guest Guest
Molly you prefer to do expository preaching?

:lol Nope, Kayla. I said that wrong. :lol We love it when my pastor preaches an "Expository" sermon. :wave:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Expository preaching is alright, but I think the sermons on Sunday morning ought to be geared towards helping everyone live a Christians life in these present times.

I do not plan my sermons weeks ahead of time, I try my best to let God lead me to what is best for that Sunday, I can't do that by planning ahead of time. Like someone else said, sometimes I get them together just in time for preaching them.

As far as Sunday night service, Expository preaching would be fine.

• Members

Our pastor has two different series going on right now, one for sunday nights, and one for wednesday nights. on sunday he is going through the book of 1 Corinthians, and on wednesday he is going through some of the common false doctrines and refuting them with Bible, so that we know why things are wrong, and can explain it to others.

• Members
Expository preaching is alright, but I think the sermons on Sunday morning ought to be geared towards helping everyone live a Christians life in these present times.

I do not plan my sermons weeks ahead of time, I try my best to let God lead me to what is best for that Sunday, I can't do that by planning ahead of time. Like someone else said, sometimes I get them together just in time for preaching them.

As far as Sunday night service, Expository preaching would be fine.

I agree the preaching needs to related to these present times. That's one of the many great things about how our pastor preaches. After much prayer, of course, he chooses the book to preach from. Then he makes a rough division of how he thinks he'll divide it up for preaching. Then, each week he prepares the next weeks sermons, always leaving room to change the exact amount of verses he preaches from that week.

In doing all of this he ALWAYS relates the text to how we can apply it to our own lives, circumstances, situations, etc. He provides great examples and offers lists of things we should think about or put into practice.

I've heard expository preaching where a preacher will simply read some verses, go over what they mean in a general manner and that's it. I don't find that style overly edifying.

• Members
Our pastor has two different series going on right now' date=' one for sunday nights, and one for wednesday nights. on sunday he is going through the book of 1 Corinthians, and on wednesday he is going through some of the common false doctrines and refuting them with Bible, so that we know why things are wrong, and can explain it to others.[/quote']

4 or 5 years back I went thru the Bible on Sunday nights covering verses that are used to try and prove that once saved always saved is false teaching, I don't remember how many Sunday nights it covered.

After that I went thru the Doctrine of Salvation.

I try at least once a year present everyone with a message teaching how to lead someone to our Savior. I have found many people who do not know where to begin such a task even though they have been in church for many years.

• Members

Last year we had a special class before evening service on sundays for soul winning. not just how to mark your bible and lead someone to the lord, but also how to present yourself and what to say. things like don't walk on someone's grass, that just makes them mad at you. or, don't stand on the wrong side of the door, then they feel put out because they had to move to see you. It was really informative, and it took like ten weeks or more to go through. it also went into follow up visits, and how to disciple someone.

• Members

One has to be very careful when door knocking, its so easy to offend someone, if we do, them that may be just what keeps that person for ever accepting Jesus as Savior.

In modern 2008 it is even more touchy than ever, for there are so many people who work many odd hours, and or has to get up extremely early.

Back in the 70's I worked at a job where I might have to leave for work anytime between 12:00 midnight and 7:00 AM. I hated for anyone to knock on our door anytime after 5:00 PM, if they woke me from my sleep usually I would never be able to go back to sleep. Plus leaving for work at 12:00 midnight, I might not be back home till 7:00 PM the next evening. Many times I went to work with little sleep because some would come door knocking. We finally put up a sign on the door when I had to hit the bed so early, but even at that some would go ahead and knock anyway.

Most people have lots of friends, family members, people they work with, all of these are good candidates to present the Gospel to. Plus you know enough about them to know when to approach them.

• Members

And witnessing to people we know is a good way to keep us accountable, because if we aren't living what we say, they know us well enough to see that. So if we're going to witness to them, we need to do what we say. And if we don't want to witness to family members, then we need to examine what we are doing, and see why not. probably we're not doing something right that we know we should.

• Members

Praise God I love going to church!

Pastor started preaching from the book of James today with verses 1:1 - 1:8. It's amazing how he can preach for 30 - 45 minutes on eight verses and relate it to us directly as to what this means to us today. I'm sooooo looking forward to the upcoming sermons from James!