• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

John81

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I LOVE fried carp! I was called a "white ni**er" when I lived near Chicago because of that. :roll

I heard that for some other things I ate too and for some of the way I talked. They couldn't understand that most blacks in Chicago came up from the South and some of their sayings and their food tastes were Southern, not "black" (or the other term they used). To them it was all black and unwhite.

None of them would dare eat carp, catfish, watermelon, grits, and a few other foods because they thought of them all as "black food" and any white man who would eat that stuff must be black or a black lover. :bonK:

• Members
I LOVE fried carp! I was called a "white ni**er" when I lived near Chicago because of that. :roll

I heard that for some other things I ate too and for some of the way I talked. They couldn't understand that most blacks in Chicago came up from the South and some of their sayings and their food tastes were Southern, not "black" (or the other term they used). To them it was all black and unwhite.

None of them would dare eat carp, catfish, watermelon, grits, and a few other foods because they thought of them all as "black food" and any white man who would eat that stuff must be black or a black lover. :bonk:

Is a carp and a red horse the same thing, and or cousins? Never ate on, my father in law use to love those red horses.

Growing up we never ate fish, father did not want any, he said he had all the fish he ever want while fighting in World War 2.

The only fish I ate growing us was at school of Fridays, back them they woudl not sever meat on Friday because of the Catholics.

I forgot, sometime during my high school years we started having fish sticks at our house. Father didn't seem to mind them, they seemed to me to be nearly the same thing they served in the lunch room at school, except not near as wide.

Fired Crappie, Kayla your right, nothing beats it, its finger licking good. Also perch are good, but of course it takes many of them. The last I had was several years back a friend and I were fishing and caught a big mess of them with crickets. Only thing that stopped us from catching them was we ran out of crickets.

Never had grits growing up. I like grits!

Watermelons, fired chicken, grew up eating both of them. remember in my early years we had yard chickens, had chicken killing day from time to time, enjoyed it, for I knew shortly we would have fried chicken and chicken gravy. Oh how I loved, and still do, to put chicken gravy over a brown and serve roll.

Recently we went to a small town west of us to eat, back in the 70's when i drove a feed tuck I used to stop in there and eat dinner, they served a great chicken fried steak, well, they still do even though it has different owners. I like chicken fried steak, but most places don't sever good ones anymore. Seems they are all spiced up.

Yes, we were pure 100% southern rebels.

Oh, I thought of something and thankfully I found it, my great grand father was a doctor and settled in Washington, Arkansas after having been born in Connecticut, September 3, 1791. Here is an article on him, kind of a life story written by a local person for a college class in 1965, that was the year I graduate high school.

Arkansas Weatherman:

Dr. Nathan D. Smith
By Brenda Ball
*Nashville

http://peace.saumag.edu/swark/articles/ ... man67.html

• Members

Oh, I thought of something and thankfully I found it, my great grand father was a doctor and settled in Washington, Arkansas after having been born in Connecticut, September 3, 1791. Here is an article on him, kind of a life story written by a local person for a college class in 1965, that was the year I graduate high school.

Arkansas Weatherman:

Dr. Nathan D. Smith
By Brenda Ball
*Nashville

http://peace.saumag.edu/swark/articles/ ... man67.html

That's a great story. It seems he loved the knife and knew how to use it! Both for medicine and self-defense :thumb

It's really something to consider that all of his notes from over a hundred years ago about the weather are still used today.

It's a shame his later notes were lost to fire, but that's a great story and amazing to see it all still remembered.