• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Names of Jesus

• Moderators

In the Qur'an (or Koran) Jesus transliterates to Issa (hee-sa) similar to Russian, but the word in the Koran is not Arabic even though the Koran claims to have been given only in Arabic. Also Muslims are quick to tell you that "God" and "Allah" are not the same - that is blasphemy, for "Allah had no son". I don't answer to the name Santiago for the simple fact that my name is not James, the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob will not ans to Allah for the same reason, He will ans to the name Jesus because Jesus IS God. Sorry to carry on so - in the middle of Wed nt classes exposing the truth concerning Islam to our church.

• Members
It would be worth noting that this is actually his name. We just pronounce this name "Jesus" in English.

Is it? That is an OT Hebrew name - Jesus lived in NT times, and the description of the giving of His name is in Greek. If anything, Biblically speaking, all you can say is the Greek form of His name is "actually His name" - the rest is speculation.

• Members
Is it? That is an OT Hebrew name - Jesus lived in NT times' date=' and the description of the giving of His name is in Greek.[/quote']

Do present day Jews not still speak the same Hebrew langauge that was spoken in the OT? I figured that since Mary and Joseph were Hebrew they would have pronounced his name in Hebrew. I could be wrong.

• Members

The Greek name Iesous is the equivalent of the Hebrew name Yahowshuwa (Strong's spelling, minus the @ symbol), but if you want to argue the exact form of the name that is the most accurate, then you would have to go by the Greek name, as that is what He is called in Scripture. All the verses that mention what name He would be called by are in Greek, not Hebrew.

• Members
The Greek name Iesous is the equivalent of the Hebrew name Yahowshuwa (Strong's spelling' date=' minus the @ symbol), but if you want to argue the exact form of the name that is the most accurate, then you would have to go by the Greek name, as that is what He is called in Scripture. All the verses that mention what name He would be called by are in Greek, not Hebrew.[/quote']

I reason that the exact form of the name that is most accurate would be what his mother, father, friends and family called him in his/their native language. Kind of like if I was hispanic and my name was Juan. My parents, friends, and family would call me Juan. But if they were writing a story about me in English, they might call me John. I wander what language the Angel spoke that told Mary what to call him?

• Members
I read something somewhere (been a while) about the meanings of the Chinese characters. Some missionaries were able to see a way of explaining salvation because of it.

Yes, my husband has done a lot of studying into this and can go on and on for hours about what he's learned. It's very interesting! We've been having small groups of his students over weekly and he tells them a "story" using the ancient Chinese characters.

• Members

That's very close to the Japanese, Kevin. Of course, that is to be expected, but it is still neat.

Yeah, I think it's a bit longer in Japanese. English words are always pronounced with a lot more syllables in Japanese, I hear it's because of their short tongues. Of course, I heard that from Koreans who also claim that they have ugly teeth and look like monkeys. :lol

• Administrators

Yeah, I think it's a bit longer in Japanese. English words are always pronounced with a lot more syllables in Japanese, I hear it's because of their short tongues. Of course, I heard that from Koreans who also claim that they have ugly teeth and look like monkeys. :lol

:lol: