• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Names of Jesus

• Members

I was reading an article recently that asked, "Does God answer to the name Allah or Buddha?"

Obviously, as Christians we know that He does not. However, it got me to thinking... what do people of other languages call Jesus? How is His name translated? In English, we call Him "Jesus". In spanish, it is Jesu and is pronounced "yay-zoo" or "hayzoos". I think Italian is Jesu Cristo.

Do you know what His name is in other languages?

• Members

All languages (to my knowledge) call Jesus "Jesus." There may be dialect differences, such as the spanish and italian examples you gave, but his name is still Jesus. Arabic speaking Christians call God "Allah" and Jesus "Jesus," although it sounds a little different due to their dialect.

• Administrators

Yahsuah or Yeshuah - Hebrew

In Italian, it is spelled Gesu and in French it is still Jesus, with the accent on the /e/ instead of the /u/ like in Spanish. In Portugese, it's Jesus and in Romanian it's Isus. These are all Latin languages, so there is the similarity.

In Irish it's Iosa, with the accent on the i.

• Members
As to the oriental' date=' in Japanase, the word "Christos" is pronounced "key-ree-sue-toe."[/quote']

And this is my point. It's all the same name, just pronounced differently and we spell it to correspond with the way we pronounce it.

• Members

Well, we learned some of it in our Chinese classes, but if you don't keep up with writing it, you lose it. So, I've lost most of it, but I was never very good at it anyways. I can read some characters though. My hubby can read it much better than I can! He has such a good memory for things like that.