• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is wrong with Christian Contemporary Music and Rock?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
I won't sing Rock - but I will sing about my Rock.

Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Psalms 18:1-3 I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.

:goodpost: Thanks, Jerry! The Psalm reminds me of my 17 year old son. It is his life verse. What an encouragement tonight! :amen: A testimony of Our Lord working through people by the power of His Holy Spirit.

candlelight

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
II cannot help but close my eyes and imagine somebody singing a song like "We Fall Down" or "Awesome God." They cry as they focus on the goodness and the mercy of a God who would send His Son to die for them despite their shortcomings and sinful lifestyle. They meditate on how God rescued them from their sin and washed them clean. They are smiling, with tears flowing... Then I imagine walking up to them and saying "How can you call yourself a legit Christian, worshiping to this kind of music?"

It's at that point, I feel like I've missed the point. If a person loves God, and worships Him out of love for Him with his or her whole heart; do you really think God is going to frown upon them because the music is contemporary or specific instruments are used?

I've been on both sides of this debate in my walk. I've leaned one way, then leaned the other. Paul once spoke about eating food sacrificed to Idols, and claimed that a Christian can eat food sacrificed to Idols receiving it with thanksgiving from God provided they are solid enough in their faith to do so. Without conviction, even in the name of Jesus Christ Himself, I will go as far as to say that you; as a Christian, if you are solid in your faith can worship God with thanksgiving while singing and enjoying Contemporary Christian Music.

As for Christian Rock, that's touchy. The image and character often portrayed and promoted by Christian Rock artists is usually anything but Holy and Godly. I've considered applying the same principle I use with Contemporary to Christian Rock, but I'm not quite there yet. I don't want to be judgmental, but when I see a crowd of people slamming into each other and screaming at the top of their lungs I don't see God being worshiped; I see people indulging in the flesh.

Post of the week. :smile While many would reject some of these songs due to their association, or even the association of their writers, we must remember that many of the "sacred" hymns we use in church today were received the same way in their "baby years". It's not like Amazing Grace jumped right into the pew hymnal after being written by a slave trader - there was plenty of debate there. Yet, somewhere along the line, a person with a broader scope of worship looked at their song and said, "God can use anyone at anytime - I will not limit Him." Crown Him with Many Crowns was written by a devout Catholic and yet is sung in nearly every Baptist church today. In the end all that matters is the glory of Christ, may He be magnified through our praise...

We fall down
We lay our crowns
At the feet of Jesus
The greatness of
Your Mercy and love
At the feet of Jesus
And we cry holy, holy, holy
Is the Lamb

• Members

For the 5 years after I joined a local IFB Church, I simply assumed they were right in their stance on CCM and Christian rock. I was comfortable with the idea that CCM and Christian Rock was wrong, because I had no interest in it, and I had never been exposed to it. During this time, I continued listening to secular pop/rock songs that I thought had good messages, or at least, weren't negative (I never got into songs that were about sex, used profanity, etc.)

I never really understood the hymns, and in church, I was always taught that I was just supposed to sing them. The concept of using them to worship God was never explained (and I felt like many people in the congregations I grew up in were the same way). I would simply mouth the words because--you're supposed to sing hymns in church, right? So, while I was still listening to secular music, at least I knew that Christian Rock and CCM were Satan's master tools to lure Christians over to the dark side! I was at a point where if I heard a CCM or CR song, I would immediately close up and refuse to pay attention to the words. The thing is, I didn't even need to hear the words to a CCM or CR song to know it was what it was--There was always something about the sound that tipped me off that it was a CCM or CR song, even if I never heard a single word.

But then it happened a year ago that I met the people who changed my life--a local Christian band. Someone invited me to go to a Youth Rally at a local non-denominational church (which I had been weary of doing so because I had chosen to limit myself to only IFB churches), but I acquiesced and went. They started off by playing a heavier Christian rock song (which made me uncomfortable, because I had been taught about how wrong this was), but I chose to really listen to the words (which I had never done before). Halfway through the music, the songs became slower songs of praise and worship. They began playing a song by Shane & Shane called "Yearn". The words were:

Lord, I want to yearn for You
I want to burn with passion
Over You, and only You
Lord, I want to yearn

This song began to minister to my heart, and before I knew it, I was singing these very words to God myself, because I wanted to yearn for Him, and I wanted to burn with passion for Him. I had always been taught how to do the right things, dress the right way, and "how to act in church", but passion was something I had never heard discussed, and never even really thought of. I had almost been taught that serving God meant "playing church".

The next song truly spoke to me, and with it I began speaking to God. When they started singing this song, something inside of me broke, and I haven't been the same since. It's called "Rescue" by The Desperation Band. These are the words:

You are the source of the life
I can?t be left behind
No one else will do
I will take hold of You

I need You Jesus
To come to my rescue
Where else can I go
There?s no other name by
Which I am saved
Capture me with grace
I will follow You

This world has nothing for me
I will follow You
I will follow You

When the band sang this song, they repeated the chorus several times. At the end, they began singing the words "This world has nothing for me...I will follow You", and they must have sang these same words over at least 10 times. I had always heard that we were not to be "worldly", but the idea that "This world has nothing for me" had never hit me. I began singing these words to the Lord over and over. The simplicity and the power of the declaration were awesome beyond description. Knowing that I could follow Him in reckless abandon, without worrying about the opinions of man was absolute bliss.

After the song service, the lead singer began to preach, and he said many things that absolutely ministered to my heart as well. Him and the members of the band are now the closest people to me outside of my immediate family, and God has truly used them in my life in a way I never would have imagined.

That's the night that truly began to change my life. That's the night when I kissed my secular music goodbye (I can no longer stomach it, and I see so much wrong with things that I once thought had "good messages"). That's the night I truly began to understand passion for God as opposed to religious zeal. Since then I have surrendered myself to eventually being a full time minister, and material things that used to seem so important to me no longer matter.

I began to open myself up to receiving from other forms of Christian music, and I have since discovered that there are many truly passionate Christian artists--from Christian pop, to Christian Rock, and yes--Christian hip-hop. It's not about style. It took me a while to open up to Christian hip-hop, but God eventually convicted me that just because I don't like the style, doesn't make it wrong. Why? Because there are people who it ministers to who do like that style. There are people who, instead of having their heads filled with the filth and sexuality that most hip-hop music is loaded with, are hearing about Jesus through a hip-hop beat.

God convicted me to stop selfishly restricting Christian hip-hop just because it wasn't my taste (and it still isn't). But you know what? For those urban kids who grew up hearing nothing but vile hip-hop music, it's great. They are never going to receive from hymns, and like it or not, music has a great ability to minister to people, whether for good or for bad. So why not be as wise as serpents yet harmless as doves? Why not give them the gospel through the medium they like?

Sometimes, we have to let go of our tastes, our traditions, our pride, and our style so that we may reach a lost and hurting world. Paul himself did that very thing:

"For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. To the weak I became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you." -1 Corinthians 9:19-23

If God takes things that were meant for evil and uses them for good, shouldn't we do the same? We are to be in the world, not of the world.

As for the argument that CCM, CR, and P&W music is too me focused, that can be true in some cases, but certainly not all. Revelation Song by Kari Job, for example, is all about God. Besides, it's not always terrible for a song to have the words "Me" and "I" in it. After all, if you look at the Psalms, David uses those words constantly. But even so, there's tons of hymns that do the same. In fact, many of the songs we sang in the churches I grew up in make me uncomfortable now, because I've realized that very few of the hymns I grew up singing were singing TO God. They were either singing about God OR they were singing about poor, pitiful me. The message of about 25% of the songs we grew up singing was "I hate my life here. I want to die. I want to get to heaven. Now." --and that's a totally unbiblical concept, because Jesus Himself prayed that we, being not of this world, would not be taken out of this world, but kept from the evil one. God wants us to be on this earth to spread the gospel of the Kingdom.

And one way to do that is by ministering to people through music.

"I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you."

• Members
For the 5 years after I joined a local IFB Church, I simply assumed they were right in their stance on CCM and Christian rock. I was comfortable with the idea that CCM and Christian Rock was wrong, because I had no interest in it, and I had never been exposed to it. During this time, I continued listening to secular pop/rock songs that I thought had good messages, or at least, weren't negative (I never got into songs that were about sex, used profanity, etc.)

I never really understood the hymns, and in church, I was always taught that I was just supposed to sing them. The concept of using them to worship God was never explained (and I felt like many people in the congregations I grew up in were the same way). I would simply mouth the words because--you're supposed to sing hymns in church, right? So, while I was still listening to secular music, at least I knew that Christian Rock and CCM were Satan's master tools to lure Christians over to the dark side! I was at a point where if I heard a CCM or CR song, I would immediately close up and refuse to pay attention to the words. The thing is, I didn't even need to hear the words to a CCM or CR song to know it was what it was--There was always something about the sound that tipped me off that it was a CCM or CR song, even if I never heard a single word.

But then it happened a year ago that I met the people who changed my life--a local Christian band. Someone invited me to go to a Youth Rally at a local non-denominational church (which I had been weary of doing so because I had chosen to limit myself to only IFB churches), but I acquiesced and went. They started off by playing a heavier Christian rock song (which made me uncomfortable, because I had been taught about how wrong this was), but I chose to really listen to the words (which I had never done before). Halfway through the music, the songs became slower songs of praise and worship. They began playing a song by Shane & Shane called "Yearn". The words were:

Lord, I want to yearn for You
I want to burn with passion
Over You, and only You
Lord, I want to yearn

This song began to minister to my heart, and before I knew it, I was singing these very words to God myself, because I wanted to yearn for Him, and I wanted to burn with passion for Him. I had always been taught how to do the right things, dress the right way, and "how to act in church", but passion was something I had never heard discussed, and never even really thought of. I had almost been taught that serving God meant "playing church".

The next song truly spoke to me, and with it I began speaking to God. When they started singing this song, something inside of me broke, and I haven't been the same since. It's called "Rescue" by The Desperation Band. These are the words:

You are the source of the life
I can?t be left behind
No one else will do
I will take hold of You

I need You Jesus
To come to my rescue
Where else can I go
There?s no other name by
Which I am saved
Capture me with grace
I will follow You

I will follow You
I will follow You

When the band sang this song, they repeated the chorus several times. At the end, they began singing the words "This world has nothing for me...I will follow You", and they must have sang these same words over at least 10 times. I had always heard that we were not to be "worldly", but the idea that "This world has nothing for me" had never hit me. I began singing these words to the Lord over and over. The simplicity and the power of the declaration were awesome beyond description. Knowing that I could follow Him in reckless abandon, without worrying about the opinions of man was absolute bliss.

After the song service, the lead singer began to preach, and he said many things that absolutely ministered to my heart as well. Him and the members of the band are now the closest people to me outside of my immediate family, and God has truly used them in my life in a way I never would have imagined.

That's the night that truly began to change my life. That's the night when I kissed my secular music goodbye (I can no longer stomach it, and I see so much wrong with things that I once thought had "good messages"). That's the night I truly began to understand passion for God as opposed to religious zeal. Since then I have surrendered myself to eventually being a full time minister, and material things that used to seem so important to me no longer matter.

I began to open myself up to receiving from other forms of Christian music, and I have since discovered that there are many truly passionate Christian artists--from Christian pop, to Christian Rock, and yes--Christian hip-hop. It's not about style. It took me a while to open up to Christian hip-hop, but God eventually convicted me that just because I don't like the style, doesn't make it wrong. Why? Because there are people who it ministers to who do like that style. There are people who, instead of having their heads filled with the filth and sexuality that most hip-hop music is loaded with, are hearing about Jesus through a hip-hop beat.

God convicted me to stop selfishly restricting Christian hip-hop just because it wasn't my taste (and it still isn't). But you know what? For those urban kids who grew up hearing nothing but vile hip-hop music, it's great. They are never going to receive from hymns, and like it or not, music has a great ability to minister to people, whether for good or for bad. So why not be as wise as serpents yet harmless as doves? Why not give them the gospel through the medium they like?

Sometimes, we have to let go of our tastes, our traditions, our pride, and our style so that we may reach a lost and hurting world. Paul himself did that very thing:

"For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. To the weak I became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you." -1 Corinthians 9:19-23

If God takes things that were meant for evil and uses them for good, shouldn't we do the same? We are to be in the world, not of the world.

As for the argument that CCM, CR, and P&W music is too me focused, that can be true in some cases, but certainly not all. Revelation Song by Kari Job, for example, is all about God. Besides, it's not always terrible for a song to have the words "Me" and "I" in it. After all, if you look at the Psalms, David uses those words constantly. But even so, there's tons of hymns that do the same. In fact, many of the songs we sang in the churches I grew up in make me uncomfortable now, because I've realized that very few of the hymns I grew up singing were singing TO God. They were either singing about God OR they were singing about poor, pitiful me. The message of about 25% of the songs we grew up singing was "I hate my life here. I want to die. I want to get to heaven. Now." --and that's a totally unbiblical concept, because Jesus Himself prayed that we, being not of this world, would not be taken out of this world, but kept from the evil one. God wants us to be on this earth to spread the gospel of the Kingdom.

And one way to do that is by ministering to people through music.

"I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you."

This is a goodpost... I want to clarify. Someone will undoubtedly say, the fact that it took you a while to "warm up" to certain things just means the world's influence and sin crept in. Its hogwash. but someone will say it. That is a false dichotomy. The fact is that it could just as likely be that it took a while to actually see the truth being revealed to you and to shed the religiosity. But someone will say it.

Second, I agree with hymns being me-centered, but in any argument you have to concede where its true. Much of modern CCM is fluff. I happen to think there is nothing wrong with Fluff, but if you only ever have fluff, then there is a problem. I wish more modern songs were written like the old hymns. Songs like "In Christ alone" are way too few and far between.

Anyway, good post. You are in the minority here (so am I) so be gentle and patient in your responses as you were here. And... WELCOME!

• Members

This is a goodpost... I want to clarify. Someone will undoubtedly say, the fact that it took you a while to "warm up" to certain things just means the world's influence and sin crept in. Its hogwash. but someone will say it. That is a false dichotomy. The fact is that it could just as likely be that it took a while to actually see the truth being revealed to you and to shed the religiosity. But someone will say it.

Hey, first of all, thanks for taking the time to respond to me and for the welcome! :)

I suppose you are right that someone may try to say that, but it's exactly as you said--It took me a while to shed the ideas that had been hammered into my head. Even though I KNEW that it wasn't true that all CCM and CR was bad, it still took me a while to rip away the mindsets that I had been trained to take on.

If Satan was slowly trying to creep in, I don't know what he's doing, because since I started listening to CCM, CR, etc., (and not that I attribute this to CCM and CR) I am more on fire for God than I've ever been, I have boldness to witness to people that I never had, I'm finally actually allowing God to use me to lead souls to Jesus, and my relationship with God is stronger than ever, wheras before, I was in stagnant religion. Is CCR and CR responsible for that? No, but they can be great to worship with, and I know it helps me to keep pumping my head with positive music throughout the day, and it ALWAYS helps to turn on some Christian music when I'm in a bad mood--In fact, when I get into bad moods, sometimes I feel so convicted by hearing a song about Jesus that I want to shut the blasted stuff off so I can be angry/selfishly whiney in peace. :lol: I don't think any of that would be possible if CCM and CR were instilling worldliness in me, and I can't imagine Satan ever making me feel convicted about sinning.

Second, I agree with hymns being me-centered, but in any argument you have to concede where its true. Much of modern CCM is fluff. I happen to think there is nothing wrong with Fluff, but if you only ever have fluff, then there is a problem. I wish more modern songs were written like the old hymns. Songs like "In Christ alone" are way too few and far between.

Yup, a lot of it is fluff. And that's something I've also had to be careful with--Sometimes I want to look at the fluff and say, "That's for unsaved people who want to think they're Christians." But then I remember that one of my close friends, who was just recently saved, has gone from listening to vile secular rap/hip-hop/rock to listening only to "fluff" on K-Love. And you know what? She's been convicted by some of that stuff, and I see her that a lot of her mindsets and ideas have been transformed just because of the lyrics in some of those songs. So maybe fluff isn't ALWAYS bad.

Anyway, good post. You are in the minority here (so am I) so be gentle and patient in your responses as you were here. And... WELCOME!

Oh, I will. I pray that I never let something like music, Bible versions, etc., cause me to spread more division among the body. There's been too much of that already. Thanks and God bless you! :)

Guest Guest

Hey, first of all, thanks for taking the time to respond to me and for the welcome! :)

I suppose you are right that someone may try to say that, but it's exactly as you said--It took me a while to shed the ideas that had been hammered into my head. Even though I KNEW that it wasn't true that all CCM and CR was bad, it still took me a while to rip away the mindsets that I had been trained to take on.

If Satan was slowly trying to creep in, I don't know what he's doing, because since I started listening to CCM, CR, etc., (and not that I attribute this to CCM and CR) I am more on fire for God than I've ever been, I have boldness to witness to people that I never had, I'm finally actually allowing God to use me to lead souls to Jesus, and my relationship with God is stronger than ever, wheras before, I was in stagnant religion. Is CCR and CR responsible for that? No, but they can be great to worship with, and I know it helps me to keep pumping my head with positive music throughout the day, and it ALWAYS helps to turn on some Christian music when I'm in a bad mood--In fact, when I get into bad moods, sometimes I feel so convicted by hearing a song about Jesus that I want to shut the blasted stuff off so I can be angry/selfishly whiney in peace. :lol: I don't think any of that would be possible if CCM and CR were instilling worldliness in me, and I can't imagine Satan ever making me feel convicted about sinning.

Yup, a lot of it is fluff. And that's something I've also had to be careful with--Sometimes I want to look at the fluff and say, "That's for unsaved people who want to think they're Christians." But then I remember that one of my close friends, who was just recently saved, has gone from listening to vile secular rap/hip-hop/rock to listening only to "fluff" on K-Love. And you know what? She's been convicted by some of that stuff, and I see her that a lot of her mindsets and ideas have been transformed just because of the lyrics in some of those songs. So maybe fluff isn't ALWAYS bad.

Oh, I will. I pray that I never let something like music, Bible versions, etc., cause me to spread more division among the body. There's been too much of that already. Thanks and God bless you! :)

Dear Behold the Lamb...an excellent post! I have known many Christians like you that have grown up in the church...and, felt just like you. It is wonderful that the Lord Jesus gave you the "passion" through other music mediums to become closer to Him and do His Will for your life. This is a Testimony to Jesus Christ. :thumb I also agree with your post about your close friend being convicted through the "fluff" CCM. Whatever brings one closer to a truly intimate relationship with JC is what matters most. :smile I enjoyed reading this post...and, I believe that it is written with a wonderful Christian heart with a passion to serve Our Lord and Saviour. May God bless you! :bible: Also, welcome to OB...I am learning a lot here.

candlelight

Guest Guest

Post of the week. :smile While many would reject some of these songs due to their association, or even the association of their writers, we must remember that many of the "sacred" hymns we use in church today were received the same way in their "baby years". It's not like Amazing Grace jumped right into the pew hymnal after being written by a slave trader - there was plenty of debate there. Yet, somewhere along the line, a person with a broader scope of worship looked at their song and said, "God can use anyone at anytime - I will not limit Him." Crown Him with Many Crowns was written by a devout Catholic and yet is sung in nearly every Baptist church today. In the end all that matters is the glory of Christ, may He be magnified through our praise...

We fall down
We lay our crowns
At the feet of Jesus
The greatness of
Your Mercy and love
At the feet of Jesus
Is the Lamb

Hey Vir...I love the song above ^^^^^"We Fall Down". I love singing the holy, holy, holy part. Also, I just wanted to add that the song "Silent Night" was written by a Catholic priest from St. Nicholas Parish in Europe. He and a teacher were walking in the beautiful snow packed mountains one day when he came up with the lyrics. The priest wanted to have his congregation sing it at Christmas Eve Mass...but, the organ wasn't working properly. He got inspired by God to ask the schoolteacher for help...and, the schoolteacher played "Silent Night" on his guitar in 3 simple cords for the Mass. That is where the song gets it's simplicity from...and, it hasn't been changed since. :wink Did anyone know that?

candlelight

• Members

For the most part I judge a song by its lyrics. There are some styles of music I won't listen to and there are some I don't believe are godly at all so naturally I avoid those too. However, godly lyrics can be put to different music and be a real blessing.

I don't judge a song based upon who happens to sing it or who has sang the song in the past, nor do I judge the song based upon what I know about the performer or authors life.

None of us are perfect and God is known to use the imperfect to yet give us some excellent things whether they be music, writings, sermons, etc.

• Members

Wow, Behold the Lamb, that was an excellent post and sounds similar to how I was raised. It's so often about standards and playing church and there's no passion. I believe real passion is absolutely essential for our walk with Christ and our service to him. The IFB church I attended in America was like what you described. Everyone sang the hymns just to sing them and participate in that part of the service. After all, if you don't sing the hymns, there must be something wrong with you. :frog

Here, however, the Sunday service is contemporary and I actually enjoy going to church now, for the first time in my life(no joke). Not just because of the music, but because of the passion and love of the people. I really feel like we're worshiping God on Sunday instead of just playing church. I look forward to going to church here, whereas I looked forward to leaving church in America.

• Administrators

I'm not getting into the discussion, but I just wanted to comment that I think it's sad that both of you boys had such poor churches to attend while growing up. The IFB churches I've been in (and I'll guarantee I've been in more than you two! :Green ) have all been in love with the Savior. The hymn singing has been wonderful (there have been some who haven't liked it, but that's a matter of course) and the preaching has been Biblical. I'm sorry you two missed out on that (no sarcasm intended, I really am sorry!!).

• Members

I grew up attending a dull, dry Methodist church until I was about 10 or 11 when I stopped going.

I'm thankful to God that He was able to use some of what I learned there, but there was sure a great deal they failed to teach; most important being the way of salvation! I also never heard of the Rapture, End Times, Tribulation, or anything associated with that. Mostly, I got the idea of "be good, go to heaven; be bad, go to hell".

Believe me, I wasn't interested in stepping foot in church again.

I'm so thankful for biblical churches with pastors who preach the whole Word of God and members who love the Lord and their brothers and sisters in Christ!!!

Guest Guest
I just wanted to comment that I think it's sad that both of you boys had such poor churches to attend while growing up. The IFB churches I've been in (and I'll guarantee I've been in more than you two! ) have all been in love with the Savior. The hymn singing has been wonderful (there have been some who haven't liked it, but that's a matter of course) and the preaching has been Biblical. I'm sorry you two missed out on that (no sarcasm intended, I really am sorry!!).

Sometimes impressions arise from the heart of the individual. I have always found it amusing in a sad sort of way how two people can sit in the same service and one will say what a glorious time they had and how the Lord spoke to them and the other will say how dull, powerless, and hypocritical the service was. Obviously both can't be true. Now I don't know the church kevin grew up in and there is certainly a chance he is right, however, I do know kevin from this forum at least.... I am reasonably certain he wouldn't much care for my church and would likely describe it as he described the church he grew up in. I am equally assured I wouldn't much like where he is currently attending. Possibly I am mistaken here, but I really don't think so. :2cents

BTW Even though this post might look a little like it I am not trying to start a fight with you kevin. However, I do pray a fair bit for you and I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say that I think you will have some serious spiritual troubles farther down the road unless God in his mercy grants you a change of course...

Grace and peace....

• Members

I can see where Kevin is coming from. I don't think that Kevin is by any means stating that you cannot have a good worship service using hymns. I think what he's saying is that the services he's attended that did use the traditional hymns were all about principle rather than passion.

I'm not the type of person that jumps up and down, claps my hands, and yells. I'm very laid back. However, I have noticed that; for the most part, the services I've attended that use only hymns are full of people who look straight ahead, sing the words without any show of emotion, and then continue through Church as if it's a pre-scripted day. Anything out of the ordinary becomes a nuisance.

The contemporary services I've attended however, are full of people raising their hands in worship. I've also noticed that you're more likely to me greeted at a contemporary service.

• Members

I always appreciate when people pray for me Seth, so I won't turn them down. :wink
However, I feel much more spiritually fulfilled now and being here and a lot of old stereotypes that I had about people from the environment I grew up in are coming crumbling down. I'm realizing that Christians of various beliefs and Biblical understandings can have the same and more passion and love for Christ than those that may seem to have it all together, so to speak. I'm discovering true Christianity and I think it will bring me closer to Christ, not cause me spiritual troubles in the future. I actually have encouragement from Christians on a regular basis and I've really been challenged to deepen my prayer life in recent weeks. It's been so wonderful being here. :thumb