• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is wrong with Christian Contemporary Music and Rock?

Guest Guest

• Members

Baptistgirl02 I recommend the book Why I left the Christian Contempary Movement book. I haven't read it myself however I heard great things about it. This will get you insight of why we are against CCM and Christian rock. To me I am more against Christian Rock then CCM however both shouldn't be part of a Church. I do want to adimit there are some songs I do like on Christian Contempary music however, I love the old fashioned hymns and people that sings for Spirit of the Lord rather then the Flesh.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
Baptistgirl02 I recommend the book Why I left the Christian Contempary Movement book. I haven't read it myself however I heard great things about it. This will get you insight of why we are against CCM and Christian rock. To me I am more against Christian Rock then CCM however both shouldn't be part of a Church. I do want to adimit there are some songs I do like on Christian Contempary music however' date=' I love the old fashioned hymns and people that sings for Spirit of the Lord rather then the Flesh. [/b']

Dan Lucarini is a good author, no doubt, but his book is full of holes. Seriously, if you want his opinion on why he left (which is the title and premise of his book) it is a good read. You will not, however, find any Biblically condemnatory statements that outright condemn CCM. He wrote the book to give his opinion, not for it to be the touted flagship in the never-ceasing battle of extra-Biblical opinion.

There, I've said a mouthful, and it is also my opinion. I have no wish to debate it. :)

Guest Guest
Whether a topic is "sensitive" or not shouldn't matter. If a Christian brother or sister has a sincere question, whether it be about music, dress style, hair length, sex or whatever other "sensitive" topic there might be, they deserve sincere, kind answers.

One problem with this topic today is that such a large variety of music styles and performers are lumped into overly broad categories. Too much is lumped into the CCM category for one to be able to give a blanket statement about all CCM. The same is true of Southern Gospel these days.

I'm really not up to date at all with CCM but I do know there are vast differences between a song like "Thy Word" which Amy Grant recorded decades ago and some of the rap stuff or thrash stuff that calls itself Christian and falls into the CCM category as well.

I've heard a few CCM songs that are very God honouring and I've heard many more that I have no idea why they are even called Christian.

Not everyone on this board is 100% anti-CCM. There are actually many members who listen to a few select CCM songs or artists while avoiding the rest. And there are also those here who are 100% anti-CCM.

Discernment is required when dealing with what music we listen to. Does it truly honour God? Does the music appeal to our fleshly nature wrongly? Does the music draw us toward worldly music or away from worldly music? Are the lyrics biblically accurate? Would you be ashamed or concerned about the music you are listening to if Jesus suddenly were standing there with you or would you be pleased with what He found you listening to? If others can hear your music is it obvious to them that your music is not of the world or would they think you were listening to worldly music?

These are a few things to consider.

:amen: Very well said, John. :goodpost:

I Peter 2:17...Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king. KJV 1611 AV.

candlelight

• Members

To answer the orginal question, there is nothing wrong with Christian rock. The way to judge any song is the lyrics and what the song is trying to say.

[quote]Could you all maybe recommend some websites that discuss the issue of Christian Contemporary Music and Christian Rock more? That would be really helpful.[/quote]

Here are two websites you can look over.

http://www.mindspring.com/~brucec/apol.htm

http://members.tripod.com/Pirate_Boy_Arrr/shred/

• Members

It all comes down to whether someone believes Rock as a medium is wrong. If so, "Christian" rock is wrong in itself. Then you add the lyrics, lifestyles, beliefs and associations of the artists and you have much to critique about CCM.

• Members

The problem comes from varying definitions. Does "rock" mean load beat and lots of electric guitar? Does "contemporary" mean in the style of current popular music? Why is it those who seem the most opposed to Christian Rock music like listening to "Gospel" music that sounds exactly like contemporary country western music?

A musical genre typically reflects a spetrum of emotions. Classical music was designed to reflect emotions from peace, joy, excitement and even fear. Rock music was designed to reflect excitement and sometimes anger. If the genre chosen supports the message and the message is good (and understandable--something many wanna-be christian musicians fail to comprehend) then it glorifies God.

I once illustrated how dangerous it is to overgeneralize about music, to a class at church. I played the intro to two songs: The first piano and organ in a very churchy style, the second electric guitar in a semi-hard rock style. I asked which one glorified God. They all agreed the first did. I then played the first song--Everybody's Got a Dream by Billy Joel. I read the lyrics so they wouldn't miss it. The song was about the dreams people have to help them cope with life. The music delivered the not so subtle message that Church was jothing but a fantasy, weak people dream because they can't cope with reality.

The second song was Satan Just Leave Me Alone by David Meece. The message of the song was angry and the music reflected that.

After listing to boths songs, and understanding the message of both songs, they all, unanimously agreed the one they assumed glorified God, was an evil song that did the opposite, and the one they thought was worldly had a good message.

Another song that I've not listened to in a long time, but illustrates a proper use of the rock genre would be Russ Taff's I'm Goin' down to the River. The music reflects the strength of will of a man going to the river to be baptized.

• Members

Just because the lyrics may be "good" doesn't make the genre of Rock good. It is evil, regardless of the lyrics. Oftentimes the lyrics just make it twice as evil.

• Members

My church really opposed CCM, i am so glad most of us here arent into that kind of music. I still have to learn more about the issue so that I can explain it clearly to others...i will be reading more of this topic here. God bless...

Jen

Guest Guest

As someone who came from the "dark side" of the fence, I can say without a doubt that the CCM arena is for the majority, a money market for Satan; as well as a very influencial tool he is using to destroy countless lives. If one will do a study of the lives and "testimonies" of those "sartist" there will be no question in the mind of the Believer as to what they represent.

I used to listen to the "hardcore" music when I was lost. I never was able to decifer the words to many of the poisionous garbage i allowed to enter into my ears. I was only listening for the 'music' and the feeling it gave me. Some say the music itself is not 'influencial' - baloney! I've been there, I know.
The CCM industry[yes, I said industry] lets "whosoever will" come and be a part of their flesh feast. I have not run across one solid Biblical testimony from these modern artist who call themselves "Christian"

Many of them have sites that promote the flesh, and most often will not mention anything Biblical; let alone contain a good testimony. The music CCM promotes is sensual, fleshly, and can be compared identical to that of the secular style and sound. "It's the words, it's the words that are different!" Notice the contemporary crowd, when their "singers" perform, what is the first thing you notice? The flesh is exalted, and lust is honored.
Sad thing is (and yes, this rant is almost over) our fundamental churches are doing the same thing!

Things I've noticed are the applause of men, and no praise to God. Seems it's more important that one has talent, than the heartfelt thanksgiving unto the Lord.

The same sounds coming from 'fundamental' churches, that are coming from the carnal christian crowd church.The swooning and swaying of the flesh, it is really sad I tell you.

Since when are we told to let compassion over-rule the Bible. What part of "love not the world.." don't they understand?

okee dokee, rant over, I'm going for some ice-cream and cherry cobbler :thumb

• Members
Just because the lyrics may be "good" doesn't make the genre of Rock good. It is evil' date=' regardless of the lyrics. Oftentimes the lyrics just make it twice as evil.[/quote']
So, then would that also mean "gospel" music, which is nothing but country western music with christian sounding lyrics, just as evil. Or is there a double standard.

• Members

No double standard - I am also against worldly country music (which is also categorized under CCM by the music industry).

• Members
No double standard - I am also against worldly country music (which is also categorized under CCM by the music industry).

The point is, music itself is amoral, it's how it's done and why. Trying to imply some sort of moral significance in a genre of music is akin to witchcraft which claims "magical" powers in objects and words. Jesus warned of observing the form of the law while ignoring the function when He said, "Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man." [[bible]Matthew 15:11[/bible]]

• Members

The notes may be amoral - musical styles are not. That would be like saying, horror novels are amoral. The words may be amoral - the setting they are put into express a moral style. The same with music. A B-Flat is amoral - a rock song, or hip hop song melody are not.

• Members
The notes may be amoral - musical styles are not. That would be like saying' date=' horror novels are amoral. The words may be amoral - the setting they are put into express a moral style. The same with music. A B-Flat is amoral - a rock song, or hip hop song melody are not.[/quote']
There context and meaning which makes a movie a horror movie. There is no context or meaning which differentiates classical from rock from any other musical genre.

Guest Guest

Good observation. In fact, the lines are even more blurred. Many professional studio musicians refer to Beethoven as the father of rock, due to his heavy use of off-beat syncopation. Ever heard Beethoven's 5th on an electric guitar with the snare looping behind it? It is already a driving beat without adding any stylistic change.

So what do we do? Do we ban instruments? Oh, wait...that has already been done, hasn't it? :wink