• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is wrong with Christian Contemporary Music and Rock?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hi everyone. What is so wrong with Christian Contemporary Music and Christian Rock? I listen to both on a regular basis. I guess I just don't understand why Christian Rock and Christian Contemporary Music is frowned upon at this board.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There are lots of threads that you can look at concerning this issue--really, it is a very touchy subject. Christian music should be focusing on the Lord, and is to be pleasing to the Lord according as it is written HIS WORD. The end. CCM and Christian rock do neither of these. There should be no bias because the facts are black and white.

Guest Guest
There are lots of threads that you can look at concerning this issue--really' date=' it is a very touchy subject. Christian music should be focusing on the Lord, and is to be pleasing to the Lord according as it is written HIS WORD. The end. CCM and Christian rock do neither of these. There should be no bias because the facts are black and white.[/quote']

Hmmm ok. The music I listen to does focus on the Lord though. Maybe I am not listening to the kind of music that is condemned by these forums.

• Members

Christian and rock and roll are complete opposites you cannot combine the two. Rock and roll was give that name because of the movement of the cars out on the makeout spots while they listened to this music. I don't believe that Christ would want to be associated with that, or Christians should not be asociated with it either, Music that promotes the movements and girations that go along with rock and CCM is wrong because people listen to it more for the tune, beat and pleasure that it gives them than they do for worship of God. Not to mention the lust that these movements stir.

• Moderators

Much has been written on this topic from both "camps". At present time, the best book I can recommend on this subject is "Measuring the Music, Another Look at the Contemporary Christian Music Debate" by John Makujina published by Old Paths Publications ;1 Bittersweet Path, Willow Street, Pa 17584, USA. It is a more recent work than "Music in the Balance" by Frank Garlock. Whether a person has any, little, or much music background or training - this is a book that I recommend every Christian own. It deals with all 4 components of music (lyrics, melody, harmony, rythym) individually and sees how they apply to God honoring music.

• Members
Hi everyone. What is so wrong with Christian Contemporary Music and Christian Rock? I listen to both on a regular basis. I guess I just don't understand why Christian Rock and Christian Contemporary Music is frowned upon at this board.

We got incoming everybody down! :hide

• Members

BaptistGirl, I'm not so sure that your question is quite appropriate. This topic is a very sensitive issue, and I suggest that you take note and leave it there. There are many Christians that listen to music that is quite dishonouring to the Lord, and it generally indicates spiritual weakness and/or Biblical ignorance. There is no way that you can glorify God except by how it is described in His Word. There are many resources available to find out WHY this kind of music is ungodly, and I suggest that instead of asking questions here, find out by the many free resources available elsewhere (if you need to know where you can find more information, just ask--I haven't got the links in my bookmarks, but I'm sure that someone has ;)

To debate about music is a bad idea.

• Members

Whether a topic is "sensitive" or not shouldn't matter. If a Christian brother or sister has a sincere question, whether it be about music, dress style, hair length, sex or whatever other "sensitive" topic there might be, they deserve sincere, kind answers.

One problem with this topic today is that such a large variety of music styles and performers are lumped into overly broad categories. Too much is lumped into the CCM category for one to be able to give a blanket statement about all CCM. The same is true of Southern Gospel these days.

I'm really not up to date at all with CCM but I do know there are vast differences between a song like "Thy Word" which Amy Grant recorded decades ago and some of the rap stuff or thrash stuff that calls itself Christian and falls into the CCM category as well.

I've heard a few CCM songs that are very God honouring and I've heard many more that I have no idea why they are even called Christian.

Not everyone on this board is 100% anti-CCM. There are actually many members who listen to a few select CCM songs or artists while avoiding the rest. And there are also those here who are 100% anti-CCM.

Discernment is required when dealing with what music we listen to. Does it truly honour God? Does the music appeal to our fleshly nature wrongly? Does the music draw us toward worldly music or away from worldly music? Are the lyrics biblically accurate? Would you be ashamed or concerned about the music you are listening to if Jesus suddenly were standing there with you or would you be pleased with what He found you listening to? If others can hear your music is it obvious to them that your music is not of the world or would they think you were listening to worldly music?

These are a few things to consider.

• Members

I agree with you, John, I agree. Personally, I would be happy to talk about music, but I fear that some people might 'explode' over the topic as there are in previous threads. I'm just a little paranoid I guess :Bleh

Oh yea, I'll add one important thing to your discernment list :wink "What is the song about?/Who is it talking about." A lot of old fashioned hymns that have made it faithful throughout the ages are focusing attention on God or one of His attributes. :smile

• Members

Those who can't keep from "exploding" on this topic, or any topic really, should excuse themselves from participating.

There are issues which tend to really hit a nerve with each of us. If we can walk in the Spirit even while discussing such that's wonderful! However, if our flesh rises up and allows the nerve to lead us into "explosive" postings, then we should excuse ourselves and spend some time in prayer over the issue.

Excellent point about "What is the song about?/Who is it talking about."

Some CCM songs I've heard were so vague that the song could be about anyone or anything.

Guest Guest

Could you all maybe recommend some websites that discuss the issue of Christian Contemporary Music and Christian Rock more? That would be really helpful.

• Members

I did find some MP3 sermons by David Cloud that cover some topics?? Will that help?

http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?SpeakerOnly=true&currSection=sermonsspeaker&keyword=David%5ECloud

I like a lot of what he has to say (I haven't heard EVERYTHING, but I liked most of what I heard, I don't believe that he will lead anyone astray.) There are many things he covers nicely. They are MP3s and should be easy to download and play :smile

As for web sites... I got an idea, but I really don't have the time to review them.

• Members

Here is an article By Brother Cloud where it is all written out. http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/why-doyou-condemn-allCCM.html
I think he did an exceptional job with it. Also if you can get your hands on his dvd concerning this topic I would highly recommend it.

Here is a listing of all the articles he has written concerning the topic of music:
http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/fbns-index/musicfbns.htm