• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is wrong with Christian Contemporary Music and Rock?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I have a question related to cymbals, would any of you go to a bellydance type of show? I just need an opinion on this cause I'm really not so sure.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Bible teaches that it is nakedness to uncover the loins - which is the belly and private area; therefore a belly dance would be wrong, as it is uncovering the belly region.

Guest Guest

[quote="Jerry"]The Bible teaches that it is nakedness to uncover the loins - which is the belly and private area; therefore a belly dance would be wrong, as it is uncovering the belly region.[/quote]

Again, :goodpost: Jerry! I didn't even go to a "belly dance" when I was unsaved. IMO, this is not ONLY not Biblical, but it is against my morals and values...as well.

candlelight

• Members
I have a question related to cymbals' date=' would any of you go to a bellydance type of show? I just need an opinion on this cause I'm really not so sure.[/quote']
I think belly dancing is just about pure sensuality from what I've seen. I would certainly not recommend seeing it, especially if you have a husband. :smile

• Members
I have a question related to cymbals' date=' would any of you go to a [b']bellydance type of show? I just need an opinion on this cause I'm really not so sure.
:puzzled: I have very little knowledge of bellydancing... but how in the world did you jump from cymbals to bellydancing???

• Members

Bellydancers dance with little cymbals in their hands. My Mom used to bellydance when I was a teenager. It disgusted me then, before I knew what was wrong with it.

• Members
:puzzled: I have very little knowledge of bellydancing... but how in the world did you jump from cymbals to bellydancing???

:lol::lol: Never a dull moment around here..........I decided to take a look at this thread today because it had continued so long without being locked...........I jusy knew it must be WAY off topic!

• Members

I don't know what they are called, but they are cymbals they play with their fingers (ie. put on their fingers and clang their fingers together).

Guest Guest

I remember seeing "bellydancing" in some Egyptian movie years ago.

BTW, OB has been far from "dull" over the past 2 weeks. OB is rather, enlightening...in fact. A very informative Christian site to visit. :wave:

Guest Guest

[quote="Jerry"][quote="Kenny5682"]II cannot help but close my eyes and imagine somebody singing a song like "We Fall Down" or "Awesome God." They cry as they focus on the goodness and the mercy of a God who would send His Son to die for them despite their shortcomings and sinful lifestyle. They meditate on how God rescued them from their sin and washed them clean. They are smiling, with tears flowing... Then I imagine walking up to them and saying "How can you call yourself a legit Christian, worshiping to this kind of music?"[/quote]

No one is questioning someone's Christianity based on the music they listen to. Perhaps question their separation and walk with the Lord.

But I can just see God going, "I'm glad you are worshipping me - but why are you worshipping me based on songs written by those who were religious - who don't know me?" Rich Mullins was joining the Catholic church when he died - that tells me he believed in a works-based salvation - no matter how good his songs may sound.

[quote]It's at that point, I feel like I've missed the point. If a person loves God, and worships Him out of love for Him with his or her whole heart; do you really think God is going to frown upon them because the music is contemporary or specific instruments are used?[/quote]

The issue has never been whether a song is new (ie. contemporary) or old - but whether it is Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) - which is worldly rock (in all its forms) or country music.

[quote]Without conviction, even in the name of Jesus Christ Himself, I will go as far as to say that you; as a Christian, if you are solid in your faith can worship God with thanksgiving while singing and enjoying Contemporary Christian Music.[/quote]

Is God pleased with that though? Sounds like lighting strange fire or perhaps reaching out and touching the ark to steady it - contrary to what God has commanded. Those two Biblical examples show that we can't just approach God any old way. He wants His children to be separated in our lives - I believe that also means being separated in our musical choices.[/quote]

[b]Jerry many of the Hymns in the Hymnal were not written by Baptists. By the way some of them I sang at a CCM festival this weekend. Amazing Grace I'll Fly Away, Nothin but the blood, etc.. Had a great time well over 1,000 people accepted Christ. It is just too bad that the local IFB church would not help out so they could teach them biblical truth instead we will let them go to those other denominations. Surely no one can be saved without a KJV bible at an alter call on Sunday at the local IFB church. LOL I love a good old fashioned alter call to. [/b]

• Members
many of the Hymns in the Hymnal were not written by Baptists.

So? Your point is what exactly? I don't care (generally speaking) what denomination someone is who is writing a gospel song, as long as they are saved and their doctrine is sound. I have no desire to sing any hymns or choruses written by heretics or the lost.

Guest Guest

So? Your point is what exactly? I don't care (generally speaking) what denomination someone is who is writing a gospel song, as long as they are saved and their doctrine is sound. I have no desire to sing any hymns or choruses written by heretics or the lost.

Jerry said "But I can just see God going, "I'm glad you are worshipping me - but why are you worshipping me based on songs written by those who were religious - who don't know me?" Rich Mullins was joining the Catholic church when he died - that tells me he believed in a works-based salvation - no matter how good his songs may sound."

So you are basically saying that he was not saved because he was joining a Catholic Church therefore his songs are not worthy to be sung. And you know that the Hymns you sing were written by saved Catholics. If somebody knows a good website offereing information on the Hymns and writers and what denomination they were that would be helpful to enhance this thread.

Guest Guest

I personally admire Jerry's stance (not only his but others' as well, those of you who have similar convinctions). They offer a great example for 'young' Christians. I would definitely want to arrive at that point where I only listen to appropriate Christian music, still I'm not much of a music fan.

• Members

1) If songs are written by the lost or heretics, their theology/doctrine will be off. What you put into your mind and heart will influence you - and that is Biblical.

2) Is God pleased when we play/sing music written by those who never knew Him? We say we are doing it out of worship to Him - but frankly, you make it all so selfish and carnal. Why don't we read some verses out of the Satanic Bible or the Book of Mormon, as long as we are thinking about God? Would He be pleased with that kind of worship? Of course not. Well, why wouldn't our choice of songs and music matter to Him too?

The context of this passage is interesting, in considering our worship mixed with wrong elements:

2 Kings 17:25 And so it was at the beginning of their dwelling there, that they feared not the LORD: therefore the LORD sent lions among them, which slew some of them.

2 Kings 17:27-28 Then the king of Assyria commanded, saying, Carry thither one of the priests whom ye brought from thence; and let them go and dwell there, and let him teach them the manner of the God of the land. Then one of the priests whom they had carried away from Samaria came and dwelt in Bethel, and taught them how they should fear the LORD.

2 Kings 17:32-36 So they feared the LORD, and made unto themselves of the lowest of them priests of the high places, which sacrificed for them in the houses of the high places. They feared the LORD, and served their own gods, after the manner of the nations whom they carried away from thence. Unto this day they do after the former manners: they fear not the LORD, neither do they after their statutes, or after their ordinances, or after the law and commandment which the LORD commanded the children of Jacob, whom he named Israel; With whom the LORD had made a covenant, and charged them, saying, Ye shall not fear other gods, nor bow yourselves to them, nor serve them, nor sacrifice to them: But the LORD, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt with great power and a stretched out arm, him shall ye fear, and him shall ye worship, and to him shall ye do sacrifice.

2 Kings 17:41 So these nations feared the LORD, and served their graven images, both their children, and their children's children: as did their fathers, so do they unto this day.

God wasn't too happy with the worship of the heathen... They feared the Lord AND served their own gods - they feared the Lord AND worshipped God their own way - which He wasn't too pleased with!