• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is wrong with Christian Contemporary Music and Rock?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

BeholdtheLamb...WOW! No wonder my sister loves "casting Crowns". Before I got saved...and, I was sitting in an IFB church, thinking I was saved...I thought the same thing. I still feel that I don't "measure up" to many of the Christians that I know...sometimes. That song really spoke to my heart...b/c it really shows us what people may think...as I did me for many years...and, still does on occasion. :smile My pastor tells us...that..."the greatest Christian in the room...my NOT be the greatest Christian in the room". He also adds that, "we are probably going to be very surpised when we get to Heaven with what we "thought" we did to glorify the Lord". Lastly, he encourages us by saying, "we should only compare ourselves to Christ b/c we are ALWAYS going to come up short". May Jesus tuly bless and enrich your life! :thumb

candlelight

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

[quote]Before I got saved...and, I was sitting in an IFB church, thinking I was saved...I thought the same thing. I still feel that I don't "measure up" to many of the Christians that I know...sometimes. That song really spoke to my heart...b/c it really shows us what people may think...as I did me for many years...and, still does on occasion[/quote]

Is it just me or is that song written from the perspective of a lost person, the lyrics sure look that way. If they are lost and pretending otherwise it is no wonder they think they see a masquerade... The masquerade is in their own heart...

• Members

Behold, I'm curious - where does the Bible say that a Christian can disobey Biblical standards and still be spiritual? That certainly isn't in my Bible. The same God and Saviour who gave us standards of dress, who forbid tattoos and piercings, who set hair length for men and women also said this:

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

[quote]We truly have fallen in love with the stained glass masquerade. Father, forgive us for falling in love with the way church is done, instead of falling in love with You, for my generation is dying because of it.[/quote]

You are fooling yourself if you think people can "love" the Lord without obeying Him.

1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Guest Guest

[quote="Seth Doty"][quote]Before I got saved...and, I was sitting in an IFB church, thinking I was saved...I thought the same thing. I still feel that I don't "measure up" to many of the Christians that I know...sometimes. That song really spoke to my heart...b/c it really shows us what people may think...as I did me for many years...and, still does on occasion[/quote]

Is it just me or is that song written from the perspective of a lost person, the lyrics sure look that way. If they are lost and pretending otherwise it is no wonder they think they see a masquerade... The masquerade is in their own heart...[/quote]

Yes...it is!!! My sister is lost! She thinks she is saved, though. She believes in the Eucharist for salvation...so??? Very :sad

I feel "inferior" to other Christians, though, at times...this is human nature. My pastor preaches to Christians about this. He ALWAYS reminds the Christian to remember what it was like when they first came to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. The more people grow in the Lord...the less they "forget" where they came from. :smile

candlelight

• Members

It's interesting that many born again Christians have different ideas about various types of music.

I love hearing the Jordanaires sing the hymns in their Southern Gospel style yet some Christians denounce Southern Gospel.

I love hearing the hymns sang in the Bluegrass style, yet there are some Christians who denounce Bluegrass.

I love hearing the hymns sang by some who us the Country style, yet there are some Christians who denounce Country.

"Rock" is a catchall phrase these days which can encompass anything from the very mild to the very wild. Some prefer to try and divide these into various categories; soft rock, urban, hard, heavy, rap, lite, soul, Southern, blues, dance, pop, bubblegum, etc.

Some Christians find edification in some of these "Rock" styles while others don't. Some denounce all of these styles, some denounce some while accepting others.

Even among the worlds musical "experts" there is no concensus as to what truly defines "Rock" music and what categories actually belong under that heading, which deserve their own heading, and those who deserve to be categorized otherwise.

For myself, I know when a songs lyrics are not edifying to me; I know when a songs lyrics do edify me; I know those that could be harmful.

The same goes for the style of music. I know what types have a positive impact and which ones have a negative impact.

I love the song Amazing Grace. However, I don't care for the way it's done by many. Whether it's their singing style or the music with the song, if it's not to my personal tastes, even that song I find unedifying under those conditions. Performed in a manner that appeals to me, I find the song very edifying. (I'm not the only one like this, I know of many who have said the same thing about this particular song; including my own wife.)

In any event, while some (sometimes MUCH) of what passes for Christian music in the various genres these days I find to be obviously unChristian, there are those few that I hear that I do find edifying and there are others that don't appeal to me, but I could see how others could find edification in them.

Guest Guest

[quote] My pastor preaches to Christians about this. He ALWAYS reminds the Christian to remember what it was like when they first came to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. The more people grow in the Lord...the less they "forget" where they came from.[/quote]

:thumb

[color=#0000FF]"2 Peter 1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins."[/color]

Guest Guest

In my opinion John81 has a great outlook on the subject. I recently wrote 3 songs that were totally biblical and led by The Holy Spirit. I am younger sport a goatee and played these at the IFB I was a member and Deacon at when the "old" guard those who started the church claimed it was CRM. Sorry, but the songs are played on an acoustic guitar (the music gift God gave me) and these people pushed me away from the church because they felt like I was changing the music "style" away from old traditional Hymns written by Catholics, Luthereans, etc. On a side note someone please list some Hymns written by IFB from the Hymnals we all use? Why are new songs rejected? or labeled CCM? When they are led by the Spirit?

• Members

Obviously you have not read very much on these boards on this subject. New music is not rejected - ROCK music is rejected. We are all for NEW sound sacred music, just not new "Christian rock".

• Members

[quote="Jerry"]Behold, I'm curious - where does the Bible say that a Christian can disobey Biblical standards and still be spiritual? That certainly isn't in my Bible. The same God and Saviour who gave us standards of dress, who forbid tattoos and piercings, who set hair length for men and women also said this:[/quote]

Didn't say anything about biblical standards.

I'm talking about the rules and laws of men that have been elevated to the status of biblical standards. I'm talking about the fact that we have replaced purity and holiness (which is in the heart)with the ability to follow a dress code and put on an external show.

Guest Guest

[quote]Didn't say anything about biblical standards.[/quote]

You said:

"[b]On the other hand, I've been to churches where kids dressed wrong (guys had hair that went to their shoulders)[/b].... and I'd hear those kids asking the preacher to keep preaching when he said he was about to wrap up, and they wouldn't just be at the altar during the altar call. And when the altar call came, they would stay there on their knees and on their faces crying out to God with tears streaming down their faces, and they would still be there long after the preacher had left the building, crying out to Jesus Christ. But we all know that they aren't really Christians, because they don't dress like our traditions say they should!"

Right there you are implying that when we say a guy having hair down to his shoulders is shameful it is just our "tradition".

However, you are the one making the Word of God of none effect through your own opinion.

Scripture says:

[color=#0000FF]"1 Corinthians 11:14-15 [b]Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?[/b] But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."[/color]

When a guys hair gets to his shoulders it is pretty much universally agreed to be long, it isn't like we are arguing just how long hair can be before it is actually long...

Now I am not saying that if a guy has long hair he isn't a Christian, but it is a fact that if a guy has long hair and is a Christian he isn't very mature spiritually yet. If the whole tone of the church is like that it is safe to say that either the church as a group is imature and carnal, or it contains a great many lost people. One or the other is true. On a guy, short hair doesn't show your spiritual, but long hair does show your carnal.

• Members

[quote="candlelight"]BeholdtheLamb...WOW! No wonder my sister loves "casting Crowns". Before I got saved...and, I was sitting in an IFB church, thinking I was saved...I thought the same thing. I still feel that I don't "measure up" to many of the Christians that I know...sometimes. That song really spoke to my heart...b/c it really shows us what people may think...as I did me for many years...and, still does on occasion. :smile My pastor tells us...that..."the greatest Christian in the room...my NOT be the greatest Christian in the room". He also adds that, "we are probably going to be very surpised when we get to Heaven with what we "thought" we did to glorify the Lord". Lastly, he encourages us by saying, "we should only compare ourselves to Christ b/c we are ALWAYS going to come up short". May Jesus tuly bless and enrich your life! :thumb

candlelight[/quote]
Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUJrjUGGfg
It's a great song and one that I can really relate to myself. It seems so often that people just play church and no one ever reaches out to people where they are but just expects them to do their part...

Guest Guest

But "Rock" music is a matter of opinion. Please tell me the IFB who wrote all the hymns in the Hymnal that sits in most of our IFB churches. Not dogging IFB just think some things like music need to relate to the Spirit not mans definition of the Spirit. Most IFB churches will not let cymbals in the Church but they are mentioned in the Bible many times. I did read through most of the Posts just feel like it comes down to style which in turn hurts the Local IFB Church.

• Members
Hi everyone. What is so wrong with Christian Contemporary Music and Christian Rock? I listen to both on a regular basis. I guess I just don't understand why Christian Rock and Christian Contemporary Music is frowned upon at this board.

Well personally I think some CCM is wrong and frowned on because they sound secular and if A non- Christian sees it and hears it and sees no difference in the music then we know for sure it is wrong. In the bible it says we should seperate ourselves from things of this world. We want to be different from the world not like the world. If a song can uplift us and help us and can convict us about how we are living that is what the music should do

• Members
Most IFB churches will not let cymbals in the Church but they are mentioned in the Bible many times.

Exaggeration is not helping your cause. IF there are some churches that don't allow cymbals (one, that is up to each individual church), that is some, not most. We don't have cymbals in my church, but we are not opposed to them. We are opposed to drums (which are not in the Bible, and which the history of is bad), and to electric guitars because we are opposed to rock music. We are not opposed to acoustic guitars in themselves.

Guest Guest

Exaggeration is not helping your cause. IF there are some churches that don't allow cymbals (one, that is up to each individual church), that is some, not most. We don't have cymbals in my church, but we are not opposed to them. We are opposed to drums (which are not in the Bible, and which the history of is bad), and to electric guitars because we are opposed to rock music. We are not opposed to acoustic guitars in themselves.

ITA! Great post, Jerry. :thumb

candlelight