• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is wrong with Christian Contemporary Music and Rock?

Guest Guest

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
I think 2003 or something. They're most recent album is the Altar and the Door. Some of my favorite songs are Who Am I' date=' Lifesong, East to West, If We Are the Body, Stained Glass Masquerade, etc. You can find them all on youtube. :smile[/quote']

Thank you! I will check them out! :thumb That was the year I got saved!

candlelight

• Members

From a long-time lurker and first-time poster...

It almost sounds like you are condemning a Christian song because a lot of people liked it and were touched by it. Do you have a problem with the lyrics? The theme of being excited to see just what eternity holds? The chorus goes like this...

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine

I probably would have written something other than "dance for you", but I believe the message is clear that the greatness of Heaven and being forever in the presence of Jesus, and the excitement of that eternity, is beyond an adequate description or human understanding. (By the way, if you are a Southern Gospel fan like I am, Ivan Parker does a beautiful version of this song.)

I still question you making such statements without being familiar with the song - but I'm new around here, and am still learning.

This song reminds me of "Oh that will be, glory for me" which ends with "When by His grace I shall look on His face, that will be glory for me".

Sorry to address more than one topic here, but it has been mentioned in this thread. I understand the importance of resisting "worldly" influence in clothing. But the implication in the comments is that Christians should only wear clothing that no one else wears. I know many non-Christian folks who wear suits and ties daily. If we are not to emulate those sinner's clothing, what is left? Where is the line between worldly clothes vs. non-worldly, and who defines that line?

Guest Guest
It almost sounds like you are condemning a Christian song because a lot of people liked it and were touched by it. Do you have a problem with the lyrics? The theme of being excited to see just what eternity holds? The chorus goes like this...

Let me ask you a question, in your opinion, was it the music that made it popular or the lyrics? Look at what was said about it and the "awards" it won...

Guest Guest
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/28/earlyshow/saturday/secondcup/main1560598.shtml?source=RSS&attr=_1560598

Also note that here the news calls them a "crossover" group. That right there shows that even the secular cbs news realizes just how worldly CCM like they produce is. You wouldn't sell 4 million copies of Godly music unless a major revival was shaking the nation. I don't think I would have missed it if one was. :wink

Strangely ironic how the secular media is a viable source for some news, and not for others, huh?

Living in the space coast of Florida, I know why that song made it to national airplay. The commander of the shuttle Columbia, Rick Husband, was a Christian and played that song every morning on board the shuttle as a wake up call for his crew. When the shuttle exploded, the song gained national attention. Albeit through terrible circumstances, God brought attention to Himself through tragedy - even if it was unconventional to our line of thought. Our God is anything but conventional.

Guest Guest
Strangely ironic how the secular media is a viable source for some news, and not for others, huh?

I don't see the issue with that unless your just using rhetoric? I think we can safely say that if the world admits something is worldly, it probably is...

Living in the space coast of Florida, I know why that song made it to national airplay. The commander of the shuttle Columbia, Rick Husband, was a Christian and played that song every morning on board the shuttle as a wake up call for his crew. When the shuttle exploded, the song gained national attention. Albeit through terrible circumstances, God brought attention to Himself through tragedy - even if it was unconventional to our line of thought. Our God is anything but conventional.

You think those 4 million cd's have gone to bible believing Christians? Or have they influenced the lost for good? No, they mostly just ended up with the other rock music in the collections of lost carnal people. It fits right in. You don't beat the devil by joining him, the weapons of our warfare are not carnal.

• Members

Let me ask you a question, in your opinion, was it the music that made it popular or the lyrics? Look at what was said about it and the "awards" it won...

I think both lyrics and music made it popular. There have been many successful "spiritual" songs that have done well on popular radio, such as "Spirit in the Sky", "God Bless America", "God Bless the USA", "Oh Happy Day", and several others. Those songs acknowledge God but little more. "I Can Only Imagine" was the first song in my memory that blatantly and unashamedly proclaims the hope and desire of heaven that has reached such a wide and diverse audience. And yes - it mentions Jesus by name!

Regarding the music, in my opinion it uses a similar structural technique to one of my favorite hymns, "Low in the Grave He Lay". It starts off low and subdued, then as it progresses into the chorus, the excitement level increases then climaxes at the end.

Do you feel that Christians have "joined the world" if they are financially successful? Chick-fil-A is a neat example of how Christian principles CAN be a part of successful business operations.

Gary

• Members
Their actions will show it, not the way they dress. And you know what? I've been to churches where all the kids dressed "right", and most of them would be trying to get out of the door by the time the altar call began, and if any of them did go to the altar, it was for about 30 seconds. On the other hand, I've been to churches where kids dressed wrong (guys had hair that went to their shoulders, wore t-shirts and blue jeans, girls wore pants, etc.), and I'd hear those kids asking the preacher to keep preaching when he said he was about to wrap up, and they wouldn't just be at the altar during the altar call. And when the altar call came, they would stay there on their knees and on their faces crying out to God with tears streaming down their faces, and they would still be there long after the preacher had left the building, crying out to Jesus Christ.

But we all know that they aren't really Christians, because they don't dress like our traditions say they should!

If these kids don't ever change, if they don't obey the Bible in regards to their hair and in wearing modest clothing - then they are ultimately just as rebellious as the teens who seek to duck out of church the instant it is over. God's Word addresses clothing, hair length, tattoos, etc. - so to pretend someone is holy while ignoring what the Bible says is dreaming.

P.S. It's not traditions we are debating - but God's Word and the standards contained therein.

• Members

I Can Only Imagine - perhaps worldly Christians like it because it is mainstream pop rock... I won't listen to it unless I am forced to. God convicted me against secular Rock when I got saved, and Christian Rock 10 years ago. I have no desire or taste (but rather disgust) for that junk.

• Members
I Can Only Imagine - perhaps worldly Christians like it because it is mainstream pop rock... I won't listen to it unless I am forced to. God convicted me against secular Rock when I got saved' date=' and Christian Rock 10 years ago. I have no desire or taste (but rather disgust) for that junk.[/quote']
I Can Only Imagine is mainstream pop rock???? :saywhat

For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S70gwFcSK9k

• Members

Jerry - I can understand and appreciate your convictions. God bless you for that.

I wouldn't jump in here only to stir things up - that is against MY convictions. I just get worried when I feel that folks are condemning efforts of fine Christian people, who have shared a message that has been heard millions of times. I am NOT saying you should like it - we all have our own tastes - but can you find it in your heart to let other people like it?

PS - for those who like Southern Gospel, here is Ivan Parker singing his version of the song. More of you may like it, because he has a traditionally "better" voice, and because it didn't sell 4 million copies or get a bunch of awards.

Gary

• Members
I Can Only Imagine is mainstream pop rock???? :saywhat

I was referring to the type of music - not indicating that the group itself is considered that genre. Somehow so many think that because some group is supposedly Christian that it magically changes the genre. That is the kind of pop rock I listened to before I got saved - it is still pop rock.

I just get worried when I feel that folks are condemning efforts of fine Christian people, who have shared a message that has been heard millions of times. I am NOT saying you should like it - we all have our own tastes - but can you find it in your heart to let other people like it?

I am condemning the genres of rock and country - regardless of whether it is "Christian" or not. My rejection is not based on personal tastes - I loved rock music in all its forms - it is based on firm conviction and the leading of the Holy Spirit. Now, I have trained myself to like more sacred music (whether old or new).

What I find funny is so many Christians defend rocky worship and praise music. Perhaps it is simply the music they are getting caught up in (and yes, I have seen maaany examples of that).

• Members

I didn't know where the song came from, but I heard that song sang in a conservative church not all that long ago. It was the congregation singing the song. I don't recall if they were singing to piano accompaniment or an accoustic guitar.

• Members

I was referring to the type of music - not indicating that the group itself is considered that genre. Somehow so many think that because some group is supposedly Christian that it magically changes the genre. That is the kind of pop rock I listened to before I got saved - it is still pop rock.

I am condemning the genres of rock and country - regardless of whether it is "Christian" or not. My rejection is not based on personal tastes - I loved rock music in all its forms - it is based on firm conviction and the leading of the Holy Spirit. Now, I have trained myself to like more sacred music (whether old or new).

What I find funny is so many Christians defend rocky worship and praise music. Perhaps it is simply the music they are getting caught up in (and yes, I have seen maaany examples of that).

But you said "mainstream" and I don't see anything mainstream about their music. I don't know that there needs to be a genre change, what's in a name, after all?

I think you ought to stick to your convictions if that's how the Holy Spirit has led. However, that music may not be wrong for everyone and the Bible doesn't say anything specifically against it. People defend their music for the same reason you would defend using a computer if someone came up and told you that you're sinning if you use it. If that music is wrong for you, then you shouldn't listen to it. If others can partake without sinning, they can feel free to do so. Music of itself does not violate a Scriptural command so it only becomes wrong if it causes you to violate a Scriptural command, which for many people, it doesn't.

• Members

If the lyrics were sound, but the genre wrong - then someone else sang it with different lyrics, then it would not have the same problems. I wouldn't necessarily say I would approve of it then, but at least the style of music would no longer be an issue.