• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is wrong with Christian Contemporary Music and Rock?

Guest Guest

• Members
P.S. Meat is referring to indepth things of the Word of God - not straightforward preaching. The lost and baby Christians should be given the plain' date=' straightforward Word of God - not something watered down. You can't save someone by watered down lyrics - you need to clearly present the Gospel in order to have fruit from it. If you water down the Gospel, you won't get anyone saved - AND YES, most CCM contains watered down lyrics, most have unclear or questionable (if not outright false) doctrine, and most doesn't even use the name of the Lord Jesus Christ - they say, He, Him, God, the One, etc. - but rarely mention Jesus Christ in a clear manner that glorifies Him.[/quote']
Have you ever listened to Casting Crowns lyrics? They have some very powerful stuff that is not at all ungodly or doctrinally in error.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

I'm afraid you misunderstood my post, Candlelight. I was not clear, and for that I apologize. I clarified it two posts later.

• Members

I like the Gaithers, the music of Stephen Curtis Chapman, Twila Paris, Sandi Patti, and Majesty. I do not like rap or any music that does not glorify the Lord. But some music is based upon Christian convictions! It is between the Holy Spirit and the individual believer! No music based upon Christian convictions is worth dividing the body of Jesus Christ over! I also love patriotic music such as that by Lee Greenwood and the kind we sing in church on the Fourth of July!

Guest Guest

Hi Kevin! Some CCM groups glorify the Lord Jesus Christ. This is true, IMO. The one group that comes to mind is, Mercy Me. The lyrics for many of the songs on one of their CD's are very powerful...as well.

"HERE AM I"...Words and Music by Peter Kipley and Bart Millard

On the other side of the world
She stands on the ocean shore
Gazing at the heavens she wonders
Is there something more
Never been told the name of JesusShe turns and walks away...What a shame.

Just across the street in your hometown
Leaving from his nine to five
Gazing down the road he wonders
Is this all there is to life
Never been told the name of JesusHe continues on his way...What a shame.

Chorus:
Whom shall I send
Who will go for me
To the ends of the earth
Who will rise up for the King
Here am I, send me
Here am I, send me

Whether foreign land or neighbors
Everyone's the same
searching for the answers
That lie within your name
I want to proclaim the name of Jesus
In all I do and say
Unashamed

Chorus:
Whom shall I send
Who will go for me
To the ends of the earth
Here am I, send me
Here am I, send me

Bridge:
How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news
Proclaiming peach and your salvation

Chorus:
Whom shall I send
Who will go for me
To the ends of the earth
Here am I, send me
Here am I, send me

mercyme. almost there. CD...copyright 2001.

Because of Calvary,

candlelight

Guest Guest

Yikes!!! :-S :eek :sad Well, I had to dust it off...I got it before I was saved. I guess, I will have to crack or burn this CD. Unbelievable! My "Life Verse" Romans 1:16...is even mentioned on this site.

candlelight

Guest Guest

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/28/earlyshow/saturday/secondcup/main1560598.shtml?source=RSS&attr=_1560598

Also note that here the news calls them a "crossover" group. That right there shows that even the secular cbs news realizes just how worldly CCM like they produce is. You wouldn't sell 4 million copies of Godly music unless a major revival was shaking the nation. I don't think I would have missed it if one was. :wink

Guest Guest
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/28/earlyshow/saturday/secondcup/main1560598.shtml?source=RSS&attr=_1560598

Also note that here the news calls them a "crossover" group. That right there shows that even the secular cbs news realizes just how worldly CCM like they produce is. You wouldn't sell 4 million copies of Godly music unless a major revival was shaking the nation. I don't think I would have missed it if one was. :wink

Oh...it is amazing what the "secular" news tells viewers. My pastor has said, "the secular world is giving us more "valuable" information than some of our Christian pulpets across America". Sssh...my pastor doesn't know that I still have this group in my collection. So, mums the word, right? That goes for you, too, Kevin waaay over their in Korea. :wave:

candlelight

Guest Guest
The only song I really like is I Can Only Imagine, which is undeniably Christian.

I am inclined to deny it. Something is wrong when it is their first "crossover" smash hit.

From wikipedia:

"I Can Only Imagine" is a song written and recorded by contemporary Christian music group MercyMe. Released on MercyMe's 2001 debut album Almost There, the song received major airplay on both Christian and mainstream radio. It earned three Dove Awards in 2002 for "Pop Song", "Song of the Year", and "Songwriter of the Year" for its author and MercyMe lead singer Bart Millard.

I just don't see that happening if it was a godly song.

John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

It looks a great deal more like a case of the world loving its own...

BTW candlelight no one is worried about what you had, you said it was before you were saved anyway so it is no wonder you didn't have the discernment to see the "issues".

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Guest Guest
I'm not a big fan of MercyMe. The only song I really like is I Can Only Imagine' date=' which is undeniably Christian. Casting Crowns is very dedicated to Christ. I've been particularly impressed with that.[/quote']

Good evening Kevin. My sister told me about the group, "Casting Crowns". I can't place them, though. When did they surface? I must has missed them.

candlelight