• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Karate?

• Members

Good posts LuAnne!

Scripture teaches we are to defend ourselves and to defend others. Nowhere does Scripture say we are to allow others to beat and rob us with no defense on our part.

We should not initiate fights nor should we look for opportunities to fight, but it's a good thing to be prepared to fight in order to defend oneself, and more importantly to defend others if necessary. In many situations just the fact a criminal can tell you are ready or able to defend yourself or others is enough to cause them to back down. As well, when a person defends themselves or others it's often the case a criminal will consider the cost of continuing to be too high and they will flee after a few strikes or throws to the ground.

Being able and willing to defend oneself and others is especially a part of a mans responsibility in caring for his family too.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
My two cents, for they're worth.....

I got involved in Tae Kwon Do (sp?) for a spell. During that time I saw a lot of dragons and the teacher was very reclusive, in a sense. One night I arrived a little early, and found a bunch of the people sitting in front of a dragon painting on the wall. No one said a word, all heads were bowed, and all eyes were closed(now that sounds familiar).

I did an about face, left the building, and did not return. I do not know about all forms of the martial arts....... Just sharing my expeirence..

mksj1611

There are many eastern martial artists instructors who do follow the entwined versions, mixing the martial art with false religionism. Those are to be avoided.

At the same time, there are many who teach and practice only the martial art without any religious adaptations. These are the ones to seek out if one is interested in learning a martial are. Either that, or choosing a martial art that comes from non-eastern traditions which has not been entwined with false religionism over the years.

• Members

Ahh yes, I have come across the religious side of martial arts. In order for some to become the very best (masters of the known universe, and other titles that I can't say with a straight face :frog ), some would go deeply into meditations n' all their black magic to try to be one step better than everyone else.

• Members

The world is getting to the point that as Christians we may have to defend ourselves. Our boys love the Lord; and prayer would ALWAYS be their first point of attack. I do not believe it is wrong to give our children tools to defend themselves. It is our job as well to instill in them the character qualities that are needed for self control and wisdom in situations that they may find themselves in.

• Members
The world is getting to the point that as Christians we may have to defend ourselves. Our boys love the Lord; and prayer would ALWAYS be their first point of attack. I do not believe it is wrong to give our children tools to defend themselves. It is our job as well to instill in them the character qualities that are needed for self control and wisdom in situations that they may find themselves in.

:goodpost: :amen:

• Members

If some one was going to mugg me or my brother and sisters I would have a chance to try to defend us.

• Members
Hey - kangaroos have a mean kick! :lol:
:wink Then can also scon you with one of their paws too--they can be highly unsociable at times.........

Some of them are so big (muscles bulging as though they are on steroids) that they are plain scary. You don't want to rough up some of the large males.

• Members
So then what does [bible]Luke 6:29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.[/bible] mean?

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
Matt 5:39-42 (KJV)

Some people disagree with this, but I think it fits perfectly with these scriptures.

Now I'm speaking about 2 right handed people who are standing face to face.

The man facing you slaps you on your right cheek. How does he slap you on your right cheek with his right hand? Easy, he slaps you with the backside of his right hand. What he is trying to do is provoke you into a fight.

So Jesus tells us not to let him provoke you, but turn your left cheek to him.

We who are God's children should never let people provoke us into a fight.

You know it, many of the none believes will try their best to provoke us into arguments, such things never bring glory to our Father.

I remember a long time back in our community a man went into the Marines, when he returned after 6 months of training he met a man in front of a local hangout of whom he had words with before he joined the marines.

He approached him and told him, "the marines taught me how to fight, my hands are lethal weapons, tonight I going to whip the living daylights out of you." The fight was on, and it wasn't looking very good for the Marine, for after a few minutes he was laying on the ground, his opponent told him. "I haven't been taught by the Marines how to fight, but I do know a thing or two about fist fighting, if you'll get back up off the ground I'll demonstrate a bit more of it to you."

The Marine told him, no that's enough, I've had enough. We were all hoping he had enough, for his face looked like hamburger meat and the front of his shirt was covered in blood.

But I see nothing wrong with defending ones self and or their family or property, but we surely should no ever go around trying to pick a fight, and we ought to only defend our self as last resort.

But I'm not to fond of judo, karate, and such stuff.

• Members

I think the martial arts and some types of training give people a false sense of toughness. I had a friend who was taking tae kwan do. He was a brown belt and he said I couldn't take him down before he kicked me in the chest. This was all in fun just a little male bonding :lol . I wrestled in high school and I shot in and took him down before he could get his kick off. Sufficed to say he soon quit spending the money to buy his belts. He knows I am not tough so he realized that he would really get hurt if he messed with someone who was.

• Members
:wink Then can also scon you with one of their paws too--they can be highly unsociable at times.........

Some of them are so big (muscles bulging as though they are on steroids) that they are plain scary. You don't want to rough up some of the large males.

I've never seen one so I wouldn't know...I've always wanted to...lucky!

• Members
I think the martial arts and some types of training give people a false sense of toughness. I had a friend who was taking tae kwan do. He was a brown belt and he said I couldn't take him down before he kicked me in the chest. This was all in fun just a little male bonding :lol . I wrestled in high school and I shot in and took him down before he could get his kick off. Sufficed to say he soon quit spending the money to buy his belts. He knows I am not tough so he realized that he would really get hurt if he messed with someone who was.

Way too many watched Chuck Norris on TV and think, if learn that, I can really do all that stuff he does. :roll

Guest Guest

When I was a single mom, I enrolled my (now 17 year old) son in Karate. I haven't really thought of the impact it might have had on him until now. He was 3 years old when he started Karate, and did that for 5 years. He has many different kinds of belts...for a child in those age categories. I enrolled him for the simple reason that the Power Rangers were very popular at that time. I wanted to give him structure. I wasn't saved until 5 years ago. I don't really have a comment on this, because it kind of reminds me of Yoga. You can do the Yoga stretches without the Eastern meditation involved with it? Maybe this can be the same with Karate? I am not really sure. :ideas: It is a great form of self-defense.

candlestick