• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Karate?

• Members

Hi. This is Lee-Anne; Zac's mum. We enrolled Our children in Karate after much prayer and thought. We have a Pastor friend of ours who is a martial arts teacher. He of course does not practice idol worship. Karate has been wonderful for our children. They have bloomed in confidence, coordination, fitness...........I could go on and on. All of our children love the Lord, as do we. It has been explained to them and their sensai ( teacher ) they we will not as a family be involved in idol worship of any kind. They understand and respect this; nor, is it practiced during the training sessions. Grading is on a Sunday morning. We explained that we could not attend during that time as we were commited christians. They have gone out of their way to accomadate us and are very respectful of our stand. If, as the children progress through their belts we have "any issues" then we will deal with them then. Right now, the kids are having fun, getting fit and increasing in physical confidence.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Hi. This is Lee-Anne; Zac's mum. We enrolled Our children in Karate after much prayer and thought. We have a Pastor friend of ours who is a martial arts teacher. He of course does not practice idol worship. Karate has been wonderful for our children. They have bloomed in confidence' date=' coordination, fitness...........I could go on and on. All of our children love the Lord, as do we. It has been explained to them and their sensai ( teacher ) they we will not as a family be involved in idol worship of any kind. They understand and respect this; nor, is it practiced during the training sessions. Grading is on a Sunday morning. We explained that we could not attend during that time as we were commited christians. They have gone out of their way to accomadate us and are very respectful of our stand. If, as the children progress through their belts we have "any issues" then we will deal with them then. Right now, the kids are having fun, getting fit and increasing in physical confidence.[/quote']
I didn't know you were Zac's mom..that's so neat.

• Members

Karate is a fighting art first and foremost. Religious aspects were added to some martial arts for a variety of reasons; such as because those using the arts wanted to add a spiritual element to their fighting skills or as a cover to practice their fighting skills as if they were just a form of religious practice.

Some martial arts had dance aspects added to them so they could be practiced as "dance" without attracting attention from those who had banned the practice of martial arts.

Our oldest son has practiced the fighting art of Karate at home for several years.

• Members
Karate and False religions do not necessarily go together. I admit we have to be wary, but I do not see any worship of ANYTHING at Karate.

Sorry if I offended anyone in making this thread.

No offense at all. There is nothing wrong with discussing Karate here.

Karate is a fighting art. It's sad that false religions have been so entwined into Karate but they are not what Karate truly is.

Guest Guest

My two cents, for they're worth.....

I got involved in Tae Kwon Do (sp?) for a spell. During that time I saw a lot of dragons and the teacher was very reclusive, in a sense. One night I arrived a little early, and found a bunch of the people sitting in front of a dragon painting on the wall. No one said a word, all heads were bowed, and all eyes were closed(now that sounds familiar).

I did an about face, left the building, and did not return. I do not know about all forms of the martial arts....... Just sharing my expeirence..

mksj1611

• Members

So i have a question that really needs answered, where does martial arts fit into a Christians life? Should we be harming people, even in our own defense?
[bible]Luke 6:29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.[/bible]

• Administrators

My son is in a Tae Kwon Do class when he is home. There is no meditation or worship of any kind in it. The instructor doesn't believe in it, thankfully, or he would never have begun taking it.

So i have a question that really needs answered, where does martial arts fit into a Christians life? Should we be harming people, even in our own defense?

Marcus, martial arts isn't for everybody. And the religious aspect of it is necessary to avoid, because it isn't scriptural. But self defense is biblical. This article is interesting:

After my plea to Americans last week to buy firearms as a first step to fighting terrorism, a number of Christians wrote challenging my prescription as unbiblical, unscriptural and ungodly.

Wrong.

The Bible couldn't be clearer on the right ? even the duty ? we have as believers to self-defense.

Let's start in the Old Testament.

"If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him," we are told in Exodus 22:2. The next verse says, "If the sun be risen upon him, there shall be blood shed for him; for he should make full restitution; if he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft."

In other words, it was perfectly OK to kill a thief breaking into your house. That's the ultimate expression of self-defense. It doesn't matter whether the thief is threatening your life or not. You have the right to protect your home, your family and your property, the Bible says.

The Israelites were expected to have their own personal weapons. Every man would be summoned to arms when the nation confronted an enemy. They didn't send in the Marines. The people defended themselves.

In 1 Samuel 25:13, we read: "And David said unto his men, Gird ye on every man his sword. And they girded on every man his sword; and David also girded on his sword: and there went up after David about four hundred men; and two hundred abode by the stuff."

Every man had a sword and every man picked it up when it was required.

Judges 5:8 reminds us of what happens to a foolish nation that chooses to disarm: "They chose new gods; then was war in the gates: was there a shield or spear seen among forty thousand in Israel?"

The answer to the rhetorical question is clear: No. The people had rebelled against God and put away their weapons of self-defense.

"Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight," David writes in Psalms 144:1.

Clearly, this is not a pacifist God we serve. It's God who teaches our hands to war and our fingers to fight. Over and over again throughout the Old Testament, His people are commanded to fight with the best weapons available to them at that time.

And what were those weapons? Swords.

They didn't have firearms, but they had sidearms. In fact, in the New Testament, Jesus commanded His disciples to buy them and strap them on. Don't believe me? Check it out.

Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

I know. I know. You biblically literate skeptics are going to cite Matthew 26:52-54 ? how Jesus responded when Peter used his sword to cut off the ear of a servant of the high priest: "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?"

Read those verses in context and they support my position. Jesus told Peter he would be committing suicide to choose a fight in this situation ? as well as undermining God's plan to allow Jesus' death on the cross and resurrection.

Jesus told Peter to put his sword in its place ? at his side. He didn't say throw it away. After all, He had just ordered the disciples to arm themselves. The reason for the arms was obviously to protect the lives of the disciples, not the life of the Son of God. What Jesus was saying was: "Peter, this is not the right time for a fight."

In the context of America's current battle ? as we make plans to rebuild after the devastation of Sept. 11 and defend ourselves at the same time ? we should recall Nehemiah, who rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem.

"They which builded on the wall, and they that bare burdens, with those that laded, every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon," we're told in Nehemiah 4:17-18. "For the builders, every one had his sword girded by his side, and so builded."

Protecting oneself and one's family isn't wrong. The Bible tells us in 1 Timothy 5:8 "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

Providing isn't just talking about food or shelter. It's talking about taking care of his own. If a man allows someone to hurt one of his own, he is not providing for that one.

• Administrators
So then what does [bible]Luke 6:29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.[/bible] mean?

It's part of an entire section of scripture in which Jesus is giving instruction on how we are to treat sinners, the lost. Read verses 27-40 together and you'll see that it all fits together. It is not addressing self-protection from a criminal or someone who is intent on hurting or killing a person. It is all about loving the lost.

• Members

It's part of an entire section of scripture in which Jesus is giving instruction on how we are to treat sinners, the lost. Read verses 27-40 together and you'll see that it all fits together. It is not addressing self-protection from a criminal or someone who is intent on hurting or killing a person. It is all about loving the lost.

Orly.jpg

:lol: