• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

parents with many children

Is it proper to have lots of children depending on the government helping to feed & clothe them?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is it proper to have lots of children depending on the government helping to feed & clothe them?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

• Members

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Gen 1:28 (KJV)

3 Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table.
Psalms 128:3 (KJV)

John, I believe your right.

Seems to me, at my age, the way I see things in this world. Christian families birth rates have been lower than most others, therefore Christians are not gaining number. Plus, way to many Christians are losing their children to the world, again, our numbers are declining.

But, I understand the reluctance of many for not having many children. With the cost of things, it is a hard time to have a large family. But, that is no excuse not to follow God's way. Not to, is showing a lack of faith.

In years gone by the large family could be an advantage. I believe those days are gone.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I had a christian friend who told me that she was afraid having children in this generation. This generation scares her and was afraid that if she had children' date=' her children will turn their back from God.[/quote']

Without faith it is impossible to please God.

For some reason, like with regards to politics and education, many Christians fail to or refuse to trust God to give them the right number of children at the right time and to provide for their needs.

God knows how many children He wants to bless us with and He won't "burden" us with more than we can handle. God's ways are not our ways. Whether a large family lives in a mansion with all aparent needs and many wants met or they live in a small house seemingly just barely getting by, God has it all under control and it's for His purpose that things are such.

God is more than capable of keeping our children safe and providing for their needs.

• Members
Scripture tells married folks to be fruitful and multiply.

Well don't have always have to consider context? Like who God was talking to, and why he told them certain things? (Think of a lot of the old Jewish laws for example, or rules about women's heads be covered {maybe not a great example, but you do reference Paul below}, etc. etc.) He said "be fruitful and multiply" to people who had to kick-start the population of the whole planet.

In the New Testament when Paul is discussing widows he tells the younger widows to remarry and have children.

Couldn't this again be a context issue? There are certainly practical, survival related reasons for a widow to remarry, and have the support of a husband (and children, who could later help with work).

For us to take such control upon ourselves is to be acting in rebellion against God.

In my opinion, it's just tough to say for sure what God would say to people today about this sort of thing, when so many factors are different (overall population, infant mortality rate, average life span etc.).

• Members

Well don't have always have to consider context? Like who God was talking to, and why he told them certain things? (Think of a lot of the old Jewish laws for example, or rules about women's heads be covered {maybe not a great example, but you do reference Paul below}, etc. etc.) He said "be fruitful and multiply" to people who had to kick-start the population of the whole planet.

Couldn't this again be a context issue? There are certainly practical, survival related reasons for a widow to remarry, and have the support of a husband (and children, who could later help with work).

In my opinion, it's just tough to say for sure what God would say to people today about this sort of thing, when so many factors are different (overall population, infant mortality rate, average life span etc.).

These words of Scripture were not written only for a certain culture or a certain time. They are there to guide all of us today just as they were then.

God never put any exceptions in place with regard to population, infant mortality rates or life spans. None of those have anything to do with the biblical principles set forth and the fact God clearly lets us know that He's in control of the womb and that children are a part of His blessing. Why would a professing Christian want thwart God in such a matter? Does not God know when to open and close the womb? Does not God know how many children he wants each of us to have?

• Members
Well don't have always have to consider context? Like who God was talking to, and why he told them certain things? ...He said "be fruitful and multiply" to people who had to kick-start the population of the whole planet.

This teaching is found throughout scripture.

Psalm 127:3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.

• Members
These words of Scripture were not written only for a certain culture or a certain time.

But some scripture was, and context is always a very important consideration. Why does context not matter in this case? I would think that mortality rates and lifespan and the nature of survival in those times would be a huge factor.

To Rev320: You referenced "Psalm 127:3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward."

And yeah, I agree that the Bible wants us to have children. That verse however does not say "have as many children as possible" or "give no thought to when you will have children or how many children you will have." In fact it seems to me that the gist of all of these verses is just "have children." I think that people are warping things if they want to profess with such certainty that they all mean "have as many children as possible."

• Members
I feel sure they were married couples back in the Bible days who had no children, or 1 child, or maybe 2, or perhaps even 3 or more, that were following God.

It stands to reason they will be married couples in our day that will be the same way.

Yes, that's true. The issue here though would be whether or not they had those "smaller" families intentionally or not.

• Members
I feel sure they were married couples back in the Bible days who had no children, or 1 child, or maybe 2, or perhaps even 3 or more, that were following God.

It stands to reason they will be married couples in our day that will be the same way.

Look how long it took Sarah and Abraham to have a child! :tum

• Members

Of course the Bible doesn't tell us to have as many children as possible. The Bible tells us to have however many children the Lord, in His perfect wisdom, determines to bless us with. It is God who is to determine the number of children we have and when we have them.

• Members

But some scripture was, and context is always a very important consideration. Why does context not matter in this case? I would think that mortality rates and lifespan and the nature of survival in those times would be a huge factor.

To Rev320: You referenced "Psalm 127:3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward."

And yeah, I agree that the Bible wants us to have children. That verse however does not say "have as many children as possible" or "give no thought to when you will have children or how many children you will have." In fact it seems to me that the gist of all of these verses is just "have children." I think that people are warping things if they want to profess with such certainty that they all mean "have as many children as possible."

Throughout scripture the pattern is that it should be left up to God how many children a married couple have. For a few more verses related to the subject see: Genesis 30:2, Genesis 30:22, Deuteronomy 7:13, 1 Samuel 1:5-6. Regarding Psalm 127:3, perhaps more context should be given. The chapter does say that children are a blessing from God, and that having many children is a positive thing. When a married couple chooses willfully to avoid having children, they are limiting God and rejecting what he calls a blessing from him. The couple shouldn't try to take control from God.

Psalms 127:3-5 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

• Members

You're not taking control from God if you put some thought into when and how to have children. How could you take control from God? If you're going to say that it's a disobedient thing to do, and that in doing so you're going against His perfect will, you have to be able to show that God is against people giving any consideration to when they have children.

Rev320, I'll respond to each of the verses you posted.

Genesis 30:2: Rachel hasn't been able to have children. Any children. Jacob becomes angry when she seems to blame him, and says that it's not his doing; it's God's. Yes, God controls everything. Nothing here that really addresses the issue of people thinking about when they should have children though.

Genesis 30:22: God heals Rachel's womb. Same as above.

Deuteronomy 7:13: Obey God's commandments and He will bless you, and bless your children (fruit of the womb). Again, it's saying that children are good, that we should have children and multiply. It's not saying that we should have no influence at all over whether or not we have the largest family that is biologically possible.

1 Samuel 1:5-6: God closed Hannah's womb. Yes, God controls aspects of our bodies that are beyond our control or influences. That's not the issue here.

Regarding Psalm 127:3: We've gone over this one already, but I think there's a strong link here between labor and the number of children that you have to help with the labor. Context (what life was like then) is very important here in my opinion.

God's message as I read it, in all of these:

"Children are good."

"Have children."

"Don't willfully stay childless."

This is absolutely not the same thing as "Don't ever try to avoid pregnancy, at any time."

Arguing that it does mean exactly this just strikes me as extrapolating too much with God's word....It feels like dogma.