• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Opera

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
:wink I'm fortunate because I'm not limited to any one browser :lol

You can't be these days limited with just one. With the poor code made on some sites, you need browsers that are looser on standards and security to actually view the page.

• Members

The only site I have problems loading in Opera are this one...it always comes up with a white screen and text before it loads the graphics...I think I will change the skin on OB and see if that does anything

• Members

You can't be these days limited with just one. With the poor code made on some sites, you need browsers that are looser on standards and security to actually view the page.
Actually, now that you mention it... I kindof follow that pattern anyway without thinking about it--"It's just normal" *shrug*

• Members
I finally discovered something that makes most browser quirks meaningless...

...Whupped them other browsers right into shape.

That's actually a non-standard DTD even though it throws the browsers into standards mode and the xmlns attribute is only used with xhtml, so you actually have an error in there. The xmlns:v is also unnecessary and non-standard there.

Better DTDs to use are html 4.01 strict or transitional or xhtml 1.0 strict or transitional, depending on your coding style. I personally use xhtml 1.0 strict (although I serve it as html) because I like to use only strict html if I can and I like the xml style of coding.

- HTML 4.01 Strict (requires strict html)

- HTML 4.01 transitional (more forgiving)

- XHTML 1.0 Strict (requires strict xhtml and the xmlns attribute)

- XHTML 1.0 Transitional (more forgiving but still requires well-formed xhtml and the xmlns attribute)

You can also switch the browser into standards mode using the upcoming HTML 5's doctype, which is simply

• Members

That's actually a non-standard DTD even though it throws the browsers into standards mode and the xmlns attribute is only used with xhtml, so you actually have an error in there. The xmlns:v is also unnecessary and non-standard there.

Better DTDs to use are html 4.01 strict or transitional or xhtml 1.0 strict or transitional, depending on your coding style. I personally use xhtml 1.0 strict (although I serve it as html) because I like to use only strict html if I can and I like the xml style of coding.

- HTML 4.01 Strict (requires strict html)

- HTML 4.01 transitional (more forgiving)

- XHTML 1.0 Strict (requires strict xhtml and the xmlns attribute)

- XHTML 1.0 Transitional (more forgiving but still requires well-formed xhtml and the xmlns attribute)

You can also switch the browser into standards mode using the upcoming HTML 5's doctype, which is simply
All I know is I couldn't get Firefox to behave until I set it that way.

• Members

I don't like opera, it's too loud and high pitched. Plus they always sing in different languages. I prefer classical music.

I had a classmate that sang opera, I suppose she was a good singer, but I could not understand nothing she sang and didn't care for it the least bit.

• Members

Firefox acts fine with any new DOCTYPE. In reality, browsers don't really care which doctype you use, as long as it's there, to switch to standards mode. It would more than double the loading time if the browser would actually download and parse the doctype every timeyou load a page, so what really happens is the browsers check if " is up at the beginning of the page and if it is, turn on standards mode. -//W3C//DTD SILLY STUFF//EN"> would work just as fine too. lol It's just recommended to use a doctype to which your document conforms and it's only used for validating.

• Members

That's weird, because when I tested Firefox in any website I built, any recent standard doctype swithed it to stards mode, which is the only reason html 5 has a doctype at all. Perhaps that certain doctype you posted switches a special behavior such as almost standards mode in Firefox? I'll do a little research, but in theory, and in my personal experience, all browsers switch to standards mode with a standard doctype.

Edit: OK, I found this (certain doctypes, including your's actually stay in quirks mode):
http://hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/compat/mozi ... rks%20mode

So actually, you're switching the browsers into quirks mode and your site doesn't look right in Firefox when in standards mode.