• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do We Also Have Bible-Based Doctrines That Are Wrong? Is There a Case for Women as Pastors?

• Members
43 minutes ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

You appear unaware that the terms complementarian and egalitarian are very commonly used in everyday commentary on this topic. They are helpful terms for discussion in that they carry a lot of meaning in a word.

Unaware? Very doubtful since I have mentioned why I rejected the use of such labels in my previous posts, which proves that you don't read the postings, but, rather scan them for bullet points that you can answer. Shameful, Doc. 

• Members
5 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Unaware? Very doubtful since I have mentioned why I rejected the use of such labels in my previous posts, which proves that you don't read the postings, but, rather scan them for bullet points that you can answer. Shameful, Doc. 

I can assure you I read everything.

• Members
2 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

"Appearances" are not facts. 

Yes, you're right, they often aren't. To clarify, I use the word "appear" for commentary, when I know it's only right to offer room for other possible reasons, like for why Paul swapped the names around.

Edited by Dr. Robert S. Morley

• Members

"Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me" (Rom 16:7).

The name Junia is female. And, according to the KJV, Junia was an apostle. Besides the twelve and Paul, there were others who were called apostles. Those who are named are James, the Lord's brother (Gal. 1:19), Barnabas (Acts 14:14), Silvanus (Silas) and, possibly, Timothy (1 Thess. 1:1,2,:6) and Andronicus and Junia (Rom. 16:7).

• Members
1 hour ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

"Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me" (Rom 16:7).

The name Junia is female. And, according to the KJV, Junia was an apostle. Besides the twelve and Paul, there were others who were called apostles. Those who are named are James, the Lord's brother (Gal. 1:19), Barnabas (Acts 14:14), Silvanus (Silas) and, possibly, Timothy (1 Thess. 1:1,2,:6) and Andronicus and Junia (Rom. 16:7).

And the word "apostle" means what? Answer: person sent. Again... nothing of note here. Why the continued attempts at overreach? An apostle mentioning others who were sent. ? Woman are sent as well, but, not as pastors.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
4 hours ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

This is the first time that I ever heard this, was this woman also an evangelist, did she lead anybody to Christ, baptize, or anyone healed. What did she do for the ministry?

• Members
16 hours ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

"who are of note among the apostles" could just as easily mean 'who are esteemed by the apostles'. In other words, when the apostles consider these two individuals, they are held in high regard. There is no need to force the title of Apostle on either of these two, whether they be male or female.

• Members
8 hours ago, DaveW said:

I am just a dumb bloke who chooses to understand what the Bible says in the way that it says it.

I hope I never become intelligent enough to figure out that the Bible doesn't mean what it says. Like you.

Well said, old boy. Let the clear passages take priority over the obscure passages. Forget all the "Yea hath God said?" nonsense. ? 

• Members
15 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

And the word "apostle" means what? Answer: person sent. Again... nothing of note here. Why the continued attempts at overreach? An apostle mentioning others who were sent. ? Woman are sent as well, but, not as pastors.

Good answer, Tony. Now, consider that a person sent by God as an apostle has been given the authority to teach.

• Members
26 minutes ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

Good answer, Tony. Now, consider that a person sent by God as an apostle has been given the authority to teach.

Nicely said, I like the part for she is the weak vessel, or weak apostle. ? Don’t forget to cover your head/hair during class.

• Members
12 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

This is the first time that I ever heard this, was this woman also an evangelist, did she lead anybody to Christ, baptize, or anyone healed. What did she do for the ministry?

A lot can be deduced from these few words Paul said: "Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me" (Rom. 16:7).

With regard to ministry, Paul says that Andronicus and Junia were "fellowprisoners" of his. One can assume that their imprisonment might also have been for their faith.

Paul also said that they "are of note among the apostles." Accordingly, Junia would have done the work of an apostle. Here are definitions of what an apostle does:

Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology - Apostle: (Gk. apostolos [ajpovstolo"]). Envoy, ambassador, or messenger commissioned to carry out the instructions of the commissioning age[sic n]t.

Strongs: From apostello; a delegate; specially, an ambassador of the Gospel; officially a commissioner of Christ.

Not much more is said of them, except that they were "kinsmen" of Paul and "also were in Christ before him."

• Members
7 minutes ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

A lot can be deduced from these few words Paul said: "Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me" (Rom. 16:7).

With regard to ministry, Paul says that Andronicus and Junia were "fellowprisoners" of his. One can assume that their imprisonment might also have been for their faith.

Paul also said that they "are of note among the apostles." Accordingly, Junia would have done the work of an apostle. Here are definitions of what an apostle does:

Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology - Apostle: (Gk. apostolos [ajpovstolo"]). Envoy, ambassador, or messenger commissioned to carry out the instructions of the commissioning age[sic n]t.

Strongs: From apostello; a delegate; specially, an ambassador of the Gospel; officially a commissioner of Christ.

Not much more is said of them, except that they were "kinsmen" of Paul and "also were in Christ before him."

Thanks, I also understand that in the Old Testament, they were much stricter than  we are today. The role of her teachings and reminding silence, today this all change of course. For the liberals are taking over and we true believers, are in the minority. I believe you are a liberal, open to changes that will please the more. You are a good liberal, trying to do what is right. This is your personal choice, like Salvation. Have a nice day. TGL