• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Definitions: What are "stars"?

• Members

Revelation 6:13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

We all should know that if our "sun" is a "star", and a whole bunch of these "suns" fell to earth it would be instantly vaporized. Is it really referring to asteroids or comets? Bear with me here. What we call "food", the King James calls "meat" and what we call "meat" the King James calls "flesh". There are many other examples of meanings of words which have "drifted" over time like this. The reason I ask is because this just came across my Facebook feed.....and let me first say, I do not hold to anything that Neil Degrasse Tyson says. I'd also like to add, I didn't watch the whole video so, if he says anything inappropriate, I apologize.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/591029913122767/?s=ifu

Edited by heartstrings

• Members
5 hours ago, SureWord said:

Maybe scientists are wrong about the size, distance and nature of "stars".

Some of my college professors said they believed it was an analogy for a meteor shower with meteors of enormous size. I'm not sure I agree, but, it sounded feasible. 

• Members
4 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Some of my college professors said they believed it was an analogy for a meteor shower with meteors of enormous size. I'm not sure I agree, but, it sounded feasible. 

A Chlandi plate with sand or water on it with different sound waves run through create the same patterns that stars show through high powered telescopes. Don't believe the CGI.

Psalm 148:3,4

• Members

The book of Jude mentions "wandering stars" which are "reserved to the blackness of darkness". But a "sun" is certainly not in the dark. Asteroids and comets, however, do wander in darkness. I strongly suspect that this is what the Book of Revelation is referring to. 

Jude 1:13 ..............wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever. 

• Members
36 minutes ago, SureWord said:

A Chlandi plate with sand or water on it with different sound waves run through create the same patterns that stars show through high powered telescopes. Don't believe the CGI.

Psalm 148:3,4

That's feasible as well. We don't have the specifics, only what they saw and understood it to be at that time. 

• Members
2 hours ago, heartstrings said:

The book of Jude mentions "wandering stars" which are "reserved to the blackness of darkness". But a "sun" is certainly not in the dark. Asteroids and comets, however, do wander in darkness. I strongly suspect that this is what the Book of Revelation is referring to. 

Jude 1:13 ..............wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever. 

Jude 13 is clearly a reference to people and their character. Specific people are named in the previous verses in Jude. Rev 6:13 is preceded by references to the moon and then followed by references to heaven. The word 'star) is the same Greek word though. In Rev 6, the sight is so scary that people hide in the dens and rocks. Seems different to me.

• Members
13 hours ago, SureWord said:

Maybe scientists are wrong about the size, distance and nature of "stars".

The description in Rev 6 gave me great pause and I have wondered the very thing you just said. I even read the things that Flat Earthers say about it. I am not a flat earther, so that should tell you how far I went in my research of this topic.