• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do you read any Calvinist authors?

Go to solution Solved by HappyChristian,

• Members

I have on many occasions. As Christians we don't have to agree on the soteriology to gain insight on other doctrines. I believe Alaister Begg is a man of great spiritual insight. I get his devotional every morning, along with a reading from Spurgeon.

• Members

Not if I can help it. Seeing that Calvinism, in effect, blasphemes the very character of God I can't listen to what they say without bias. Maybe I will develop a more gracious attitude about it some day. However, I believe that the teachers of this world do have a measure of wisdom on some things. (Luke 16:8) But on the other hand, I'm still wary of them. I've been told that rat poison, by weight, is mostly good wholesome corn. It's that teeny weeny trace of ingredients that kills the rat.

14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

• Members

The only one who've I read an entire book of was Donald Gray Barnhouse. "The Invisible War".  I've read a lot of quotes from preachers previously mentioned, though. Arthur Pink's "Gleanings" series I've heard is good and I liked what I read out of Surgeon's "John Ploughman's Talk". I would like to buy that book someday. 

I also read a good deal of Loraine Boettner's "Reformed Doctrine of Predestination" which is hardcore TULIP. It's pretty much a church killer, that book.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 5/25/2023 at 6:55 PM, HappyChristian said:

We like Spurgeon and Matthew Henry. Knowing their beliefs helps us not to accept any calvanistic teachings.

I read a lot of Matthew Henry as well. I read some Alaister Begg since I get his devotional every morning. But, when I get one that starts spouting "election" I break it off. I don't like pushy Calvinists. 

• Members

I use the Matthew Henry and John Gill Commentaries regularly. I have read a good amount of Spurgeon in the past, but not for a while. Like all commentaries you have to use what is good and spit out the bones. My use of commentaries is primarily to get my grey matter working. I'll take it on my own from there.

• Members
10 minutes ago, Napsterdad said:

I use the Matthew Henry and John Gill Commentaries regularly. I have read a good amount of Spurgeon in the past, but not for a while. Like all commentaries you have to use what is good and spit out the bones. My use of commentaries is primarily to get my grey matter working. I'll take it on my own from there.

That's what I do. I have found the bible to be reliable in all things. Those who are indwelt by the Holy Spirit can count on His guidance as well. Thank you for your input.