• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Recovering Fundamentalists

• Members

There is a group called the Recovering Fundamentalists. They have a WEB site and everything. I went there and read their articles of faith. I also have heard some of their preacher back before they started this group. There purpose is to disparage mainline fundamentalists. So they point out all the bad actors within the Independent Fundamental Baptist circles. In my opinion is that this is not a good movement. 

• Members

On their WEB site they have a Story tab. Go here to read about every possible horrible thing that IFB people have done to these people. So all the malcontents have a 'safe space' to vent. I fail to see how this benefits anybody. 

• Administrators

Yes, it's a mess, for sure! I know a number of "recovering" fundies...most have basically turned their backs on all things biblical (while claiming to be more biblical) and have become very humanistic while trying to appear spiritual. That breeds the critical spirit that the site you're referencing exudes.

Although I do know a number of people who have legitimately been hurt in churches. "Recovering" is certainly not the answer (their definition of recovering).

• Members
7 hours ago, Joe Chandler said:

There is a group called the Recovering Fundamentalists. They have a WEB site and everything. I went there and read their articles of faith. I also have heard some of their preacher back before they started this group. There purpose is to disparage mainline fundamentalists. So they point out all the bad actors within the Independent Fundamental Baptist circles. In my opinion is that this is not a good movement. 

I have to disagree with your assessment. It's purpose when it initially started was to help those who (like my wife and me) had been in abusive churches. At that time there were quite a few of these churches, usually connected with Hyles Anderson College, BJU, Ruckman, etc al, and was to encourage people to look for better churches within the IFB movement. I was in that group for a few months until some of the more unsavory characters started to enter, ie people who followed the writings of Christian novelist and BJU grad Jeri Massi. She has a blog on abuses in the IFB by both pastors and leaders in the movement. Very one sided and not always totally unbiased or factual. Still, she has a following. One of the people who helped lead a lot of people into the group is Evangelist Tim Lee. I believe he's since broken his affiliation with the group, but I am not certain of this.

• Members
Just now, SureWord said:

I've seen a few of their videos. I realize people have been mistreated and even abused in IFB churches but these guys seemed like nitpicking crybabies.

I agree. Many are and are crying "abuse" for everything. That's unacceptable. I was physically abused in the IFB churches when I was younger, beaten up by a pastor, mentally abused, as well as spiritual abuse from the man. Yet, I don't go around every day whining about it. We are responsible for how we respond and recover. 

• Members
3 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I agree. Many are and are crying "abuse" for everything. That's unacceptable. I was physically abused in the IFB churches when I was younger, beaten up by a pastor, mentally abused, as well as spiritual abuse from the man. Yet, I don't go around every day whining about it. We are responsible for how we respond and recover. 

Wow! That is pretty serious. I'm sorry that happened to you. 

• Members
23 minutes ago, Joe Chandler said:

Wow! That is pretty serious. I'm sorry that happened to you. 

Thank you. I didn't reveal that for pity but to help others to realize that recovery can come through the Lord and that we are responsible to forgive and move on with our lives. We forgive for us, not for them. They may never be sorry for what they did. That's between them and the Lord.