• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Does the Moral Character of Public Officials Matter?

• Members
13 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

BT, we are not going to beat the Dr. or brother. He’s a professional theologian, He has answers to all your questions, and mine. It’s a matter of if he’s on the right page, or not. He can be on the conservative page, or he can be on the liberal page. 

My purpose is not to beat anyone. It is, however, to stand against theological error and elitist arrogance. Too many people follow people who claim to be "Christian," but who bring in theological error, leading many astray. So, it's very much about whether he's on the right page or not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 4/23/2023 at 8:37 AM, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

Was the lesser of two evils chosen, or did evangelicals get it wrong?

We have a 2 party system for all practical purposes. aside from prayer, what would you have me do?

I can write in a candidate, he will lose. I can vote third party, he will lose. I can abstain. Or I can vote issues and hold my nose. I wanted Ted Cruz, but he lost in the primaries. So I cast four anchors out of the stern, and wished for the day, so to speak. ? I believe I made the right choice given my options. BTW I enjoy your posts.

• Members
19 minutes ago, Joe Chandler said:

We have a 2 party system for all practical purposes. aside from prayer, what would you have me do?

I can write in a candidate, he will lose. I can vote third party, he will lose. I can abstain. Or I can vote issues and hold my nose. I wanted Ted Cruz, but he lost in the primaries. So I cast four anchors out of the stern, and wished for the day, so to speak. ? I believe I made the right choice given my options. BTW I enjoy your posts.

I really had to hold my nose while voting for Mr. Trump. But, I did so knowing he was a better choice than Biden. It's all we can do when there are only two options.

• Members
9 hours ago, Joe Chandler said:

I understand the 2 party dilemma. You mentioned abstaining as an option. Some Christians have taken this option. While it strengthens the opposition's hand, they may feel it absolves them of any guilt associated with supporting someone they deem morally corrupt. Diminishing that person's support base, along with prayer and even losing, may deliver better long-term outcomes for the country.

When voting issues, the moral character of public officials should be foremost among them. No one is perfect, but there's a moral tipping point with regard to the kind of character that's biblically unwise to support. In fact, some might consider it wise to vote for the opposition to maintain democracy and avoid the greater dangers posed by disregarding an antichrist character, regardless of what they promise.

• Moderators

We have something in our countries that many really believe it’s not have – the ability to have even the tiniest amount of influence in our choosing our officials. No man will ever be exactly what we think he should be public office. Yes, a lot of men are a lot less than what they should be. But for Christians to abstain from voting because they don’t have a perfect candidate to vote for, is a waste of the opportunity that we have been given. ‘The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to say nothing.’
A vote for the lesser of two evils is a vote against the greater of those evils. To refuse to take whatever small say we have to insist our country stay as right as possible is, IMO, foolish. And if people don’t vote, they better not be complaining about the outcome. ?

• Members
37 minutes ago, Salyan said:

We have something in our countries that many really believe it’s not have – the ability to have even the tiniest amount of influence in our choosing our officials. No man will ever be exactly what we think he should be public office. Yes, a lot of men are a lot less than what they should be. But for Christians to abstain from voting because they don’t have a perfect candidate to vote for, is a waste of the opportunity that we have been given. ‘The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to say nothing.’
A vote for the lesser of two evils is a vote against the greater of those evils. To refuse to take whatever small say we have to insist our country stay as right as possible is, IMO, foolish. And if people don’t vote, they better not be complaining about the outcome. ?

What if the choice is Hitler or abortion? Which is the lessor evil? We're not commanded by God to always vote. Abstaining has its place.

Edited by Dr. Robert S. Morley
Added last two sentences

• Members
1 hour ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

What if the choice is Hitler or abortion? Which is the lessor evil? We're not commanded by God to always vote. Abstaining has its place.

And I am sure nobody is denying this. Why are you being so obtuse and argumentative, Robert? Adding unlikely scenario's isn't helpful.

• Members

You're the one being obtuse, Tony. It was a response to Salyan's comment, "But for Christians to abstain from voting because they don’t have a perfect candidate to vote for, is a waste of the opportunity that we have been given."

The unlikely scenario might be manifesting right under your nose.

17 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

God answered that question when he allowed Hitler to be born, knowing the evil he would do. Voting is not a command, and we can choose not to vote if we feel led by the Lord.

God answered what question?

Edited by Dr. Robert S. Morley
Added final sentence

• Members
2 hours ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

In point of fact, a vote for Hitler was a vote for abortion. Let's discuss the moral character of Biden.

On 4/26/2023 at 5:23 PM, BrotherTony said:

I see nothing wrong with praying the wicked be removed. 

Maybe we could remove all the deprecatory Psalms from the Bible. ? 

Edited by Joe Chandler

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

God answered what question?

Maybe I misunderstood you. When you said Hitler or abortion it seem to me that it implied the choice was to have Hitler being born or not (that is why my comment said what it said). One you mentioned was a person and the other was an action, so I naturally put them together. ? 

16 minutes ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

You're the one being obtuse,

I do not believe any one is being abusive here, but rather just a personality conflict. 

• Members
4 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Maybe I misunderstood you. When you said Hitler or abortion it seem to me that it implied the choice was to have Hitler being born or not (that is why my comment said what it said). One you mentioned was a person and the other was an action, so I naturally put them together. ? 

I do not believe any one is being abusive here, but rather just a personality conflict. 

I wasn't trying to be abusive to anyone. I was just pointing out that the Dr wasn't using good reasoning by adding hypotheticals to the conversation, especially by bringing a dead dictator into the conversation.