• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"God hates the sinner"

• Members

I just heard a Calvinist in my Facebook feed, John McArthur, saying that God hates sinners. I've heard and seen this debated many times. Some say God hates the sin but loves the sinner and others say that God hates both and use various scriptures to prove it either way. But what Mr. McArthur says doesn't agree with one thing. Jesus Christ Himself told us that, to be like God, you have to "Love your enemies". So,  if someone does something to you, in a really serious way, you are commanded by God to do something that he wouldn't even do Himself? By that logic, you would be taking a higher road than God would. I don't think so. God says his ways are higher than our ways. So God, being perfect, can indeed love his enemies. I, myself, have a tough time trying to do that. You can take all the verses you want which seem to say that "God hates sinners" but you still have to deal with what God says right here...........

Matthew 5:43Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. 46For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 47And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? 48Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

If this is truly what any Calvinist or Johnny Mac said, they're wrong....John 3:16 proves this. They're going against Biblical teaching, and that's one problem I truly have with the Calvinist way of thinking. 

• Members

The Bible says that "God is angry with the wicked every day" and He is ready to judge us for our sin. I'm reminded of the city of Nineveh. God was ready to destroy them and their destruction was imminent. They were about to die and burn in Hell for eternity. But at the same time, God was actively making certain arrangements to get Jonah there to preach to them; and God made sure he got there. When Jonah preached, they then repented. So God repented of the imminent destruction and they were saved from His wrath. God demonstrated His great love, by getting the man of God to Nineveh on time and I'm sure God gave him the words to say. We should not preach "love only" but we shouldn't preach only "hate" either. The Holy Spirit deals with hearts by "sin, righteousness and judgement". We can show them all the sin and judgement we want, but if there's no love in it, it ain't the gospel. Thank God I was shown all three.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members
24 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

If this is truly what any Calvinist or Johnny Mac said, they're wrong....John 3:16 proves this. They're going against Biblical teaching, and that's one problem I truly have with the Calvinist way of thinking. 

I would have to ask John McArthur, about the sinners that god hates, are you talking about born again Christians, or are you taking about those that don’t know Christ. God does hate the sinners, those that don’t want to believe in him. That’s why they go to a place called hell in the Bible. They are going to hell on their on own will. Now those that are born again or sinners that repent, and believe in His name. They are covered by the blood of the lamb. Their sins are all forgiven, and these are the ones that Christ died for. In this case God hates the sinners. All those that reject Him, and his gospel, the word of God.

• Members
36 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

I would have to ask John McArthur, about the sinners that god hates, are you talking about born again Christians, or are you taking about those that don’t know Christ. God does hate the sinners, those that don’t want to believe in him. That’s why they go to a place called hell in the Bible. They are going to hell on their on own will. Now those that are born again or sinners that repent, and believe in His name. They are covered by the blood of the lamb. Their sins are all forgiven, and these are the ones that Christ died for. In this case God hates the sinners. All those that reject Him, and his gospel, the word of God.

Romans 5:8... God loved us while we were yet sinners and died for US. 

Ezekiel 33:11 tells us that God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked. 

I don't believe God hates the sinner. But, being a just and HOLY God he must punish the sin of the wicked. 

Let me add Morales, I didn't post the OP, so I really don't know who you were addressing.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

I don't believe God hates the sinner. But, being a just and HOLY God he must punish the sin of the wicked. 

Let me add Morales, I didn't post the OP, so I really don't know who you were addressing.

?

• Members
2 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

Well, now that you mentioned it, McArthur's false god must hate you and I as well because, we're both still sinners. For that matter, he must hate McArthur as well because he's a sinner too. Yes, God will put (lost)sinners in Hell. But while they're still breathin' there's still hope. Like I posted above, God was ready to annihilate the city of Nineveh. Their death was imminent. But at the same time, God was making sure Jonah arrived to preach to them. If that isn't love I don't know what is.

• Members
2 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

This is a open forum, good reply.

• Members
56 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

Well, now that you mentioned it, McArthur's false god must hate you and I as well because, we're both still sinners. For that matter, he must hate McArthur as well because he's a sinner too. Yes, God will put (lost)sinners in Hell. But while they're still breathin' there's still hope. Like I posted above, God was ready to annihilate the city of Nineveh. Their death was imminent. But at the same time, God was making sure Jonah arrived to preach to them. If that isn't love I don't know what is.

What I understood was sinners send them self to Hell, for not believing, not God. Can someone correct me if I’m wrong. Does God, send the lost to Hell?

• Members
19 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

What I understood was sinners send them self to Hell, for not believing, not God. Can someone correct me if I’m wrong. Does God, send the lost to Hell?

He allows them to make a decision to either seek and follow him, or to reject him and spend eternity in the Lake of Fire where death and hell end up being cast. 

• Members
41 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

It says they are "cast" into the lake of fire so, somebody has to do the casting.

• Members
2 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

He allows them to make a decision to either seek and follow him, or to reject him and spend eternity in the Lake of Fire where death and hell end up being cast. 

I’m a little bit confused, did Jesus love the Pharisees, and hated their sins, or did He hate the Pharisees, and hated their sins.

• Members
3 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

I’m a little bit confused, did Jesus love the Pharisees, and hated their sins, or did He hate the Pharisees, and hated their sins.

If he hated them, why did he tell them to repent? I don't see how you could be confused if you know your Bible. Were the Pharisees part of this world or not, Morales? John 3:16.

Edited by BrotherTony