• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Holy Spirit baptism

Go to solution Solved by Jim_Alaska,

• Members
24 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Hmmm.  This thread discussion has moved some distance from the original subject of "Holy Spirit baptism."

Concerning "Holy Spirit baptism," the following questions must be considered:

1.  Does God's Word at all teach a doctrine of "Holy Spirit baptism"?
2.  If it does, when does it teach that such a baptism occurred or occurs (i.e. fulfilled at Pentecost or for all believers)?
3.  If it is for all believers, when does it occur for all believers; and what does it accomplish for them?
4.  Specifically, what baptism is taught in Romans 6:3-4, 1 Corinthians 12:13, and Galatians 3:27?

As for myself, I was raised on "local church only" doctrine and defended that position for many years.  However, due to certain matters of personal Bible study, I no longer hold strictly to that position.  I now hold to what I might call a "local church only on the earth" position AND a "universal heavenly church" position (which is NOT precisely the same the common "universal church" position, and which does actually retain the "local" aspect in the Greek word "ecclesia.")

Concerning "Baptist origins," I would hold to an "anabaptist heritage" position (although NOT an "unbroken succession" position), wherein the heritage of doctrine is more important than a succession of title, name, or institution.

Christ's church is seated in heavenly places. In writing to a local church, Paul says God "hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus" Ephesians 2:6. By saying "us," he is saying that they, he, and, no doubt, all believers are part of the entire church who are seated in heavenly places.

Consequently, I don't think a distinction can be made between a "universal heavenly church" and the "universal church." Biblically defined, they're the same entity.

• Members
1 hour ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Concerning "Baptist origins," I would hold to an "anabaptist heritage" position (although NOT an "unbroken succession" position), wherein the heritage of doctrine is more important than a succession of title, name, or institution.

Concerning the "1700's British separatist origins" viewpoint (which is somewhat beloved to more "Calvinistic Baptists," since the British Baptists of that time were primarily Particular (Calvinistic) Baptists) for present-day Baptists, I believe that there is actually historical evidence for British Baptist origins to find their roots in some anabaptists who migrated to Britain. 

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle
spelling

• Members
1 hour ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

No one can know for certain whether or not a local Baptist church is part of an unbroken succession of churches with the authority to baptise.

And I don't think you'll find but one or two people on these forums that believe this. Most do not.  There are a few, however, that do believe that God had a remnant of people who were never a part of the Romans that grew to be the RCC, nor do they believe that their branch of Christianity had anything to do with it in the first place. God will always have a remnant of people who have not been a part of the fallacy of man-made doctrines or positions. 

The authority to baptise is found in God's word alone. It was given to believers to practice and to teach to others among all the things Jesus commaned (Matt. 28:19).

In the passage you are giving here, it's specifically given to the Apostles...Care to try again? 

Baptism is a command to be followed regardless of the existance of any local church (Acts 8:26-40, 16:11-15). Missionaries especially understand this.

The need for, and belief in, successionism that some Baptists have seems oddly akin to the need for, and belief in, papal successionism that the Catholics have. Both are an unbiblical basis for authority and unnecessary. 

I don't believe "successionism" has anything to do with it. I believe ignorance of the Bible's teachings and one's own interpretations being forced into them as truth, as the Pharisees did when they added their teachings and traditions into and above scripture in many instances is the problem. The authority doesn't lie with just the pastoral/elder/deacon leadership to do these things. 

• Members
2 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

And I don't think you'll find but one or two people on these forums that believe this. Most do not.  There are a few, however, that do believe that God had a remnant of people who were never a part of the Romans that grew to be the RCC, nor do they believe that their branch of Christianity had anything to do with it in the first place. God will always have a remnant of people who have not been a part of the fallacy of man-made doctrines or positions. 

In the passage you are giving here, it's specifically given to the Apostles...Care to try again? 

I don't believe "successionism" has anything to do with it. I believe ignorance of the Bible's teachings and one's own interpretations being forced into them as truth, as the Pharisees did when they added their teachings and traditions into and above scripture in many instances is the problem. The authority doesn't lie with just the pastoral/elder/deacon leadership to do these things. 

The command was given to the apostles, but the commission explicity states that the were to teach others to do whatsoever they were commanded to do. That includes baptism.

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen" (Matt. 28:19-20).

• Members
25 minutes ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

Christ's church is seated in heavenly places. In writing to a local church, Paul says God "hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus" Ephesians 2:6. By saying "us," he is saying that they, he, and, no doubt, all believers are part of the entire church who are seated in heavenly places.

Consequently, I don't think a distinction can be made between a "universal heavenly church" and the "universal church." Biblically defined, they're the same entity.

Yet God's own Word in Hebrews 12:22-23 makes it quite distinct, saying, "But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, THE HEAVENLY JERUSALEM, and to an inumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect . . . ."  I myself would contend that wherein God's own Word makes something precise and specific, we ought not make it general.  By means of this Biblical precision we are able to discern that the "universal heavenly church" does NOT exist and is NOT assembled on the earth.  Members thereof do indeed exist on the earth, but the entity itself exists and is assembled ONLY in heaven.  Indeed, just as the Old Testament tabernacle/temple was intended by the Lord our God as a physical, earthly manifestation of the heavenly temple, even so the local church institution is intended by the Lord our God as a physical, earthly manifestation of the heavenly church.  Thus any attempt to organize a "universal" church on the earth, or to disregard the Biblical local church structure that the Lord our God DID institute for the earth, is contrary to Biblical truth.  Indeed, I would contend that Biblical precision prevents false doctrine and false practice.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle
last sentence added

• Members
1 minute ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

The command was given to the apostles, but the commission explicity states that the were to teach others to do whatsoever they were commanded to do. That includes baptism.

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen" (Matt. 28:19-20).

That's understood, and nowhere have I stated otherwise. As they were commanded to teach others to do so, they did. I truly believe that the power of the people to baptize has been usurped by the corporate church, ie, the power taken by the leadership. I liked most of what I read in "The New Reformation: Unfinished Business, Returning The Ministry To The People Of God," by Greg Ogden. I have been in churches where people have been baptized by those who led them to the Lord...they were baptized in a swimming pool, river, lake, or somewhere with sufficient water, who have come to church and requested membership, the one baptizing them giving an account of the baptism and the one who was baptized giving an account of his/her salvation to the congregation. They were accepted without question. I've seen this in at least two Baptist churches, four Cowboy Churches, and two inter-denominational churches. These people are thriving and growing, as are the churches they are in. I'm not saying I 100% agree with the process, but with the command given by Christ, I find it a feasible position.  

15 hours ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

Out of interest, was it Landmarkism itself that you found untenable? And, if so, do you see the origin of  the Baptists being 17th-century English Separatists (who were Protestants)?

I've already stated where I stand on the remnant of believers...my view isn't Landmarkism. Nor is it that we came from the Protestant Reformation. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Yet God's own Word in Hebrews 12:22-23 makes it quite distinct, saying, "But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, THE HEAVENLY JERUSALEM, and to an inumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect . . . ."  I myself would contend that wherein God's own Word makes something precise and specific, we ought not make it general.  By means of this Biblical precision we are able to discern that the "universal heavenly church" does NOT exist and is NOT assembled on the earth.  Members thereof do indeed exist on the earth, but the entity itself exists and is assembled ONLY in heaven.  Indeed, just as the Old Testament tabernacle/temple was intended by the Lord our God as a physical, earthly manifestation of the heavenly temple, even so the local church institution is intended by the Lord our God as a physical, earthly manifestation of the heavenly church.  Thus any attempt to organize a "universal" church on the earth, or to disregard the Biblical local church structure that the Lord our God DID institute for the earth, is contrary to Biblical truth.  

I agree we should not 'attempt to organize a "universal" church on the earth.' I also believe that each church has its own internal authority structure.

Nevertheless, I see the universal church and the church mentioned in Hebrews, "the heavenly Jerusalem," as one and the same. I believe that passage simply expands on what Paul wrote in Ephesians 2:6. See here:

"[God] hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus."

"But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem . . . to the spirits of just men made perfect . . ."

Similarly, "John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband . . . that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God" (Rev 21:2-10).

In this way, the prayer that God's "kingdom come . . . in earth, as it is in heaven" (Matt. 6:10) is continually being answered. As beings of the heavenly Jerusalem, "we are ambassadors for Christ" (2 Cor. 5:20), sent to establish His kingdom among the inhabitants of the earth.

Joining this to the forum's topic, I believe the Spirit that believers are baptized with is illustrated in the final vision of Revelation. He is seen as a river running in "it," the city, coming from God, and Jesus. John writes, "And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations" (Rev. 22:1-2).

Of the city, John says, "I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it" (Rev. 21:22). 

"For the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it - They are present in all parts of it in their glory; they fill it with light; and the splendor of their presence may be said to be the temple" - Barnes.

As Jesus said, "that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me" (John 17:21).

Of this, Paul wrote, "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" (1 Cor. 3:16).

And, Jesus said, "He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water" (John 7:38).

Edited by Dr. Robert S. Morley

• Members
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

That's understood, and nowhere have I stated otherwise. As they were commanded to teach others to do so, they did. I truly believe that the power of the people to baptize has been usurped by the corporate church, ie, the power taken by the leadership. I liked most of what I read in "The New Reformation: Unfinished Business, Returning The Ministry To The People Of God," by Greg Ogden. I have been in churches where people have been baptized by those who led them to the Lord...they were baptized in a swimming pool, river, lake, or somewhere with sufficient water, who have come to church and requested membership, the one baptizing them giving an account of the baptism and the one who was baptized giving an account of his/her salvation to the congregation. They were accepted without question. I've seen this in at least two Baptist churches, four Cowboy Churches, and two inter-denominational churches. These people are thriving and growing, as are the churches they are in. I'm not saying I 100% agree with the process, but with the command given by Christ, I find it a feasible position.  

I've already stated where I stand on the remnant of believers...my view isn't Landmarkism. Nor is it that we came from the Protestant Reformation. 

You appeared to say "otherwise" when you said, regarding my comments on Matt. 28:19, that it was a command given to the Apostles and that I should try again. 

Btw, I appreciate hearing the witness of thriving churches. 

As for Baptist origins, learning of the three Baptist views has allowed me to better see what you wrote. You were very clear. I was too quick to make it an option between Landmarkism and believers from 17th century Protestantism when there was a third option, as well a blend of your view with 17th century Protestants.

• Members

I agree we should not 'attempt to organize a "universal" church on the earth.' I also believe that each church has its own internal authority structure.

Nevertheless, I see the universal church and the church mentioned in Hebrews, "the heavenly Jerusalem," as one and the same. I believe that passage simply expands on what Paul wrote in Ephesians 2:6. See here:

"[God] hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus."

"But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem . . . to the spirits of just men made perfect . . ."

Similarly, "John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband . . . that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God" (Rev 21:2-10).

In this way, the prayer that God's "kingdom come . . . in earth, as it is in heaven" (Matt. 6:10) is continually being answered. As beings of the heavenly Jerusalem, "we are ambassadors for Christ" (2 Cor. 5:20), sent to establish His kingdom among the inhabitants of the earth.

Joining this to the forum's topic, I believe the Spirit that believers are baptized with is illustrated in the final vision of Revelation. He is seen as a river running in "it," the city, coming from God, and Jesus. John writes, "And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations" (Rev. 22:1-2).

Of the city, John says, "I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it" (Rev. 21:22). 

"For the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it - They are present in all parts of it in their glory; they fill it with light; and the splendor of their presence may be said to be the temple" - Barnes.

As Jesus said, "that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me" (John 17:21).

Of this, Paul wrote, "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" (1 Cor. 3:16).

And, Jesus said, "He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water" (John 7:38).

I fully agree that Hebrews 12:22-23 & Ephesians 2:6 correspond to one another.  Indeed, I believe that Ephesians 2:6 helps to explain how the Church of the First Born in heaven can be a local assembly (in one location - in heaven), yet also include all New Testament believers who are still alive on the earth -- because the Lord our God spiritually sees all of us as presently seated in HEAVENLY places in Christ.  Furthermore, both passages precisely specify that these truths are heavenly, in heavenly places (not on the earth).

Even so, I fully disagree with your allegorical usages of the passages in the Book of the Revelation.  The prophetic utterance concerning the New Jerusalem coming down out of heaven has NOT yet occurred, but is yet to come after the event of the Great White Throne Judgment, which will occur after the end of this first creation through divine fire.  We definitely part company and walk with significant division over the manner in which you handle the Book of the Revelation (which seems to be a "go-to" doctrinal focus for you, as per your primary involvement as you first joined the forum).

• Members
20 hours ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

You misunderstand me. I'm trying to help you see that this source is simply being matter-of-fact.

"Matter of fact" or not, they're wrong. 

• Members
2 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

I fully agree that Hebrews 12:22-23 & Ephesians 2:6 correspond to one another.  Indeed, I believe that Ephesians 2:6 helps to explain how the Church of the First Born in heaven can be a local assembly (in one location - in heaven), yet also include all New Testament believers who are still alive on the earth -- because the Lord our God spiritually sees all of us as presently seated in HEAVENLY places in Christ.  Furthermore, both passages precisely specify that these truths are heavenly, in heavenly places (not on the earth).

Even so, I fully disagree with your allegorical usages of the passages in the Book of the Revelation.  The prophetic utterance concerning the New Jerusalem coming down out of heaven has NOT yet occurred, but is yet to come after the event of the Great White Throne Judgment, which will occur after the end of this first creation through divine fire.  We definitely part company and walk with significant division over the manner in which you handle the Book of the Revelation (which seems to be a "go-to" doctrinal focus for you, as per your primary involvement as you first joined the forum).

I hope readers see how the Scriptures correlate, even if from a perspective outside of their own. They can decide to disagree with my Amillennial approach or not. Concerning Amillennialism, The Baptist Messenger has an article, Exploring the Book of Revelation, which reads:

Interpreting the book of Revelation from an amillennial perspective has a long history in the Church and, in fact, has been the predominant eschatological position of Christianity since the time of Augustine (though it was not called “amillennialism” until more recent times).

It is also a position many Baptists have embraced [underlining added], including Hershey Davis, W. T. Conner, Herschel Hobbs, Edward McDowell, H. E. Dana, Ray Summers and James Leo Garrett. Indeed, some have claimed it was the dominant view of Southwestern Seminary from the 1930s–1990s. Even John Walvoord (a dispensational premillennialist) admits, “The weight of organized Christianity has largely been on the side of amillennialism” (Millennial Kingdom, 61).

• Members
15 minutes ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

Concerning Amillennialism, The Baptist Messenger has an article, Exploring the Book of Revelation, which reads:

Interpreting the book of Revelation from an amillennial perspective has a long history in the Church and, in fact, has been the predominant eschatological position of Christianity since the time of Augustine (though it was not called “amillennialism” until more recent times).

Indeed, for Augustine has led many astray with his false teachings.  (By the way, the statement above seems to work - as long as you hold a loose definition for "Christianity."  However, I myself would contend that any individual or group who teaches a false, unbiblical gospel, while humanly included in Christendom, should not be accepted as a legitimate part of Biblical Christianity.)

• Members
12 hours ago, Dr. Robert S. Morley said:

No one can know for certain whether or not a local Baptist church is part of an unbroken succession of churches with the authority to baptise.

The authority to baptise is found in God's word alone. It was given to believers to practice and to teach to others among all the things Jesus commaned (Matt. 28:19).

Baptism is a command to be followed regardless of the existance of any local church (Acts 8:26-40, 16:11-15). Missionaries especially understand this.

The need for, and belief in, successionism that some Baptists have seems oddly akin to the need for, and belief in, papal successionism that the Catholics have. Both are an unbiblical basis for authority and unnecessary. 

Its too hard to prove an unbroken line of churches from the apostles till now.  It may exist.. (and should)... But people being killed in these churches.. the people themselves not recording much of their own history and the hiding from persecution make it a fruitless exercise to fully prove.

But... God's churches do have distinctive characteristics that is seen in the first NT churches.  

So a church now that is solid on the Bible. .. that has those characteristics.. that does have connection to churches in the past like them.. would have the authority to baptise.

If a church carries the same characteristics of the NT churches.. it's most likely got the authority.  Because they would have got their doctrine from the same source. 

I mean.. you get a charismatic church that believed salvation can be undone.. you gonna trust their leaders to baptise and have it right?  

Therefore not all churches have the authority.

• Members
11 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Indeed, for Augustine has led many astray with his false teachings.  (By the way, the statement above seems to work - as long as you hold a loose definition for "Christianity."  However, I myself would contend that any individual or group who teaches a false, unbiblical gospel, while humanly included in Christendom, should not be accepted as a legitimate part of Biblical Christianity.)

Regardless of Augustine, amillennialism has been embraced by good Baptists who have tested it and found it biblical.