• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Two dollars for a cup of coffee

Go to solution Solved by BrotherTony,

• Members

I’m sitting out here in front of the store waiting for my wife as she’s finish making her purchases. There’s a gentleman outside axing for two dollars for a cup of coffee please. I see people giving him money but he continues to ask for two dollars for a cup of coffee, finally came to me and looked at me and said can I have two dollars for a cup of coffee. I was going to tell him with all that money collected, you can buy me a cup of coffee, but I just told him no. I don’t have two dollars for a cup of coffee. There’s been a lot of people begging for money lately, the Holy Spirit will tell you when to give..

.Germany Deutschland GIF by Dritan Alsela Coffee

• Members
  • Solution
1 hour ago, TheGloryLand said:

I’m sitting out here in front of the store waiting for my wife as she’s finish making her purchases. There’s a gentleman outside axing for two dollars for a cup of coffee please. I see people giving him money but he continues to ask for two dollars for a cup of coffee, finally came to me and looked at me and said can I have two dollars for a cup of coffee. I was going to tell him with all that money collected, you can buy me a cup of coffee, but I just told him no. I don’t have two dollars for a cup of coffee. There’s been a lot of people begging for money lately, the Holy Spirit will tell you when to give..

.Germany Deutschland GIF by Dritan Alsela Coffee

I agree. I don't have $2 for a cup of coffee either. We make ours at home. My brother and his wife in Riverside, FL pay over $5 each for a cup of coffee most mornings, and then several times a day. I don't see how. Now, as to the panhandler, my wife and I would offer to buy him a cup of coffee from Mcdonald's or Burger King, but, there's NO WAY I would put money into his hand if I witnessed what you say you did. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There is a video of a man on you tube pretending to be homeless and asked for food. For over 2 hours no one spoke to him, the a black woman stopped and spoke to him and said she would be back. Some time later she returned and gave him something, a can't remember if if was cash or food. He said thank you very much I am not really  homeless I just wanted to see what it was like and he gave her $1000. Sometime later another person stopped and offered him money  and he gave her some as well. 

I agree that we should not give money.  A pastor of mine said people came to the church asking for money. He said he never gave them money, but if they said they wanted he would say, "come home with me and my wife will make you some sandwiches",  or if they said that they wanted to buy a train ticket to London,  he said "meet me at the station and I will buy you a ticket". They never did.

• Moderators

People call our church for handouts sometimes. Our policy is to offer them a job - helping around the yard, stuffing envelopes, doesn’t matter. The job is no way proportionate to the money they’d get; we just want to see that they are willing to work if they are physically capable of doing so. Funny how few people take Pastor up on it.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Salyan said:

People call our church for handouts sometimes. Our policy is to offer them a job - helping around the yard, stuffing envelopes, doesn’t matter. The job is no way proportionate to the money they’d get; we just want to see that they are willing to work if they are physically capable of doing so. Funny how few people take Pastor up on it.

Same here in the US. I offer them work at the church and it has been declined 100% of the time. Too bad too, because it would have equaled to around $30 to $50 hour.