• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Altar Call for Salvation

Go to solution Solved by Napsterdad,

• Members
On 3/12/2023 at 3:00 PM, TheGloryLand said:

When there is an invitation for those that seek in being born again. This can yes, be in a church or outside the church, invitation for salvation. The altar today is not a Holy spot, but a very nice place, to repent and seek Christ. So it is not wrong to do altar calls, where ever you’re are. For salvation, baptisms, or membership.

Altars are for sacrifices.  Our church doesn't have sacrifices so we don't need an altar.  They are for Roman Catholics and fellow travellers.

• Members
12 hours ago, Invicta said:

Altars are for sacrifices.  Our church doesn't have sacrifices so we don't need an altar.  They are for Roman Catholics and fellow travellers.

Semantics, Invicta...Semantics.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members

Invicta, seems you are too busy explaining away a word in the passage instead of applying the passage!!

No, we do not have a physical altar, like in the temple or tabernacle - but neither has anyone else had one for over 1950 years. But the passage still applies today. Jesus said make peace with your brother or there will be consequences - whether that altar is a symbolic altar in your church or in your heart, Jesus' words still stand today.

• Members
19 hours ago, Jerry said:

Invicta, seems you are too busy explaining away a word in the passage instead of applying the passage!!

No, we do not have a physical altar, like in the temple or tabernacle - but neither has anyone else had one for over 1950 years. But the passage still applies today. Jesus said make peace with your brother or there will be consequences - whether that altar is a symbolic altar in your church or in your heart, Jesus' words still stand today.

After the reformation the Church of England did away with altars and replaced them with a communion table  which is what the called it. Archbishop Laud returned the altars, I think it was in the reign of King Charles the first. They also had the 10 commandments the wall. If it is a table why don't you call it so. Calling it an altar makes one think of Catholicism. 

• Members
1 minute ago, Invicta said:

After the reformation the Church of England did away with altars and replaced them with a communion table  which is what the called it. Archbishop Laud returned the altars, I think it was in the reign of King Charles the first. They also had the 10 commandments the wall. If it is a table why don't you call it so. Calling it an altar makes one think of Catholicism. 

The Catholics do some things, right.

• Members
41 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Because in American and Canadian churches they usually use the platform for "alter" calls. Again...semantics.....UGH!

• Members

Our SBC does not have a physical "altar". There is a raised platform with a podium and a communion table. But the pastor always mentions the need to be saved and always gives an invitation at every Sunday morning service. I liken it, Biblically, to this: 

Come unto me........ Matt 11:28-29

I was saved at what I would call the "invitation" so, I can say it was important in my case. May 11, 1986, about three or 4 pews back on the left side, I believe one of the songs was "Love Lifted Me" and the pastor preached on "The Lord is my Shepherd", Not sure what the invitation song was, I don't remember hearing it. I think I may have plowed my way out of the pew before it even got started.

• Members
19 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

Our SBC does not have a physical "altar". There is a raised platform with a podium and a communion table. But the pastor always mentions the need to be saved and always gives an invitation at every Sunday morning service. I liken it, Biblically, to this: 

Come unto me........ Matt 11:28-29

I was saved at what I would call the "invitation" so, I can say it was important in my case. May 11, 1986, about three or 4 pews back on the left side, I believe one of the songs was "Love Lifted Me" and the pastor preached on "The Lord is my Shepherd", Not sure what the invitation song was, I don't remember hearing it. I think I may have plowed my way out of the pew before it even got started.

I was saved during an invitation time as well....At Maranatha Baptist Bible College during a Tom Williams crusade. April 15, 1983. They called the steps up to the podium and the front row of chairs "the altar." I don't care what they call it, it's where I knelt and prayed and asked the Lord to save me. 

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
21 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Such as?

They believe in the Holy Bible, Jesus is the son of God. The virgin birth, the Old and New Testament, in the trinity. Now how they apply all this, is a different story. Like the baptisms, they sprinkle. This is done incorrectly.

• Members

Catholics do not believe in the Gospel of salvation by grace through faith in the finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ. They add their works to what Jesus has done - therefore are trusting in a false gospel. The heart of their system is the mass, which is "sacrificing" Christ on all their altars, every day, all around the world. A system built on blasphemy - whereas Hebrews teaches Jesus paid the whole price of salvation by Himself, by ONE offering FOREVER.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 2/22/2023 at 12:11 PM, Napsterdad said:

Noone on this forum can possibly answer this question. Why don't you ask the pastors you actually witness "not asking visitors or members if they will like to accept Jesus Christ for Salvation". Right or wrong, they are the ONLY ones that can give an answer to this. Perhaps you can then help them in some way. I certainly can't. I don't even know them or their church.

Thank you, yesterday, I finally spoke to the pastor as you mentioned I should above. My fear came true, he sincerely share with me that he believes it is not needed. He mentioned through the preaching, hearts are changed. Not in the invitation, this is true, but the invitation is also is needed with the preaching of the Word. I told him, good man, you have a mission now to convince the whole church this. For they are saying you have good preaching but no callings at the end of the service. This is going to be difficult but not impossible for you to do. Then we prayed

• Members

I've been in churches that employ both methods, and I have witnessed both growing. It's not an altar call that saves. I have seen this method used and manipulated and in return has given the churches many false converts. Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages. Each congregation must choose for themselves which method to implement.