• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Being born again

• Members

Good post Seth

Lovejoy read john 10:28-29 again

Joh 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. J
oh 10:29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

No man and any man, includes you the individual. You cant take yourself out of God's Hand, even if you wanted to.

Also Ephsians 1:12-13 says

Eph 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Jesus is the only one who can break the seal and he assured us in John 10:28-29 he would not do that.

Salvation is free, final, and forever to all who will believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and call upon him to save them Romans 10:9-13

God Bless

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Most of the time, it is hard to turn your back against God after accepting his gift of salvation. People who accept it understand who God is and what they are (a sinner). Kinda like how once you love your child, it's hard to stop loving him (although it is easy to be disappointed in him) .

But those who have turned their back against God has never really fully grasp the gift of salvation. That's why it seem like some people just stop being a christian. I always felt they accepted his gift for the wrong reason. In my MIL's case, she thought accepting Christ would promise her a better life. But it didn't. She didn't have relationship with God. So she turned her back against him. I'll never know if she is really saved or not because she DID accepted the gift of salvation one time. I know some people who ARE saved, and lived a backslidden life.. and they seem what people would refer as "have all the bad luck". in my MIL's case, it was result of another's person sinful way that hurt her faith. I told my son one time that we can pray for protection but everyone still has to make the right decision to do right or wrong.. including the bad guys and including himself. So that if someone decide to hurt him and he pray about it, don't let it cause him to lose faith in God. That God (if he choose to do so) will try to convince the person to do the right thing but he will not control a person like a puppet. That person still have to make his decision. But then sometimes God help put an end to an abuse by putting them in Jail or something. But My MIL never really saw it that way. She wanted God to control the bad person that hurt her like a puppet so she could have a better life (and believe it or not, she does have better life today). But it didn't happen her way so she just stop believing in God. Well, she stopped believing in Christianity because she doesn't like people telling her how she should live her life. Sorry about rambling and hijacking. but I noticed these are the few that make people lose faith in God or make them turn their back on God that make them seem like they stop being a christian.

Okay, I think I understand what has been stated here. After I think that i am saved and believe that i am. It doesn't matter what i do from now on until the end of the world. I can go to a bar and dance, may be kill someone don't go back to church never pray and i will be saved. because no one or myself can take me out of the hand of God.

Okay' date=' I think I understand what has been stated here. After I think that i am saved and believe that i am. It doesn't matter what i do from now on until the end of the world. I can go to a bar and dance, may be kill someone don't go back to church never pray and i will be saved. because no one or myself can take me out of the hand of God.[/quote']
You appear to be saying that sarcastically, at least to my understanding. If you are not, however, please disregard what I wrote below:
You're committing the strawman fallacy, and terribly exaggerating our point. The fact of the matter is this: The Lord has given us eternal life. Eternal means just that: eternal.

And, yes, if you did do that, you would still be saved (though I find it hard to believe that a Christian would do that). I am reminded of this passage of Scripture:
(1 Corinthians 3:9-15) - "For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. {10} According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. {11} For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. {12} Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; {13} Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. {14} If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. {15} If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire."

While you yourself would be saved, your building would be tried with fire, and it would burn. You would receive no crowns to throw at the feet of our Almighty God.
However, you would yourself be saved, yet so as by fire. Why?
(John 10:28) - "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."

Regardless of what we build upon it, if we have indeed trusted in Christ as our personal Savior, and repented of our sins, Jesus is our foundation, and it will stand no matter what.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

• Members

Once a church of Christ preacher told me, "If I believe as you Baptist do I would go out and do everything I really wanted to."

I asked, "What are those things you really want to do."

He answered me with a puzzles look on his face, "You know, drink, chase women, stuff like that."

I them said, "I now know your problem, your not saved, if you would truly get saved you would not want to commit such vulgar & hideous sins against God the Father of your Savior."

Perhaps that is the problem with this poster, he has not been saved, so he is not been made into a new man.

:a :amen: men: :amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen: Thank you soooo much for saying that--it's true atleast in my life. Of course temptations come around but we don't stand there we walk away with Jesus and if we fall we don't stay there because there is no joy! your sister in Christ--pixiedust

• Members
:a :amen: men: :amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen: Thank you soooo much for saying that--it's true atleast in my life. Of course temptations come around but we don't stand there we walk away with Jesus and if we fall we don't stay there because there is no joy! your sister in Christ--pixiedust

Thank you, you made this thought come to my mind. If it were not so late I think I could find scriptures to go with it.

One way of telling if one is saved or not, if they sin, they will feel guilty for having done so, and I believe they will feel ashamed as well. After all the saved person does have the Holy Spirit dwelling within them and when we sin that will grieve the Holy Spirit that is within us.

• Members
Okay' date=' I think I understand what has been stated here. After I think that i am saved and believe that i am. It doesn't matter what i do from now on until the end of the world. I can go to a bar and dance, may be kill someone don't go back to church never pray and i will be saved. because no one or myself can take me out of the hand of God.[/quote']

If that's your mentality (not saying that it is), then you're clearly not saved. How do I know? Jesus said that a tree is known by its fruits (Matt. 7:16-17) There are too many people in churches today walking down an aisle and repeating the words of a pastor thinking they're saved. The majority of them are probably on their way to eternal damnation. This is the primary reason why there are SO many false converts in churches today....they are unregenerated and they have NEVER truly been born of God. This is not a matter of judging someone's heart, but rather them demonstrating by their deeds and actions that they have no godly sorrow or remorse towards sin...they are unrepentant and unregenerate and bear no fruits of the spirit. Their lifestyle will give proof to whether they have truly been born again. It's sad that many professed Christians are hellbound because they have walked down an aisle at church when they were 6 or 7 and now live a lifestyle of sin and carnality. Matthew 7:21-23 is a warning towards professing Christians, and the sad fact is that "MANY" professing Christians are in fact unsaved as that passage clearly says.

2 Corinthians 13:5 - Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

If Christ is in us, then we ought to walk as Christ walked. And as professed Christians, we should examine our lifestyle and see if it is aligned with how the Word of God dictates how we should live.

Love,
Madeline

Thank you, you made this thought come to my mind. If it were not so late I think I could find scriptures to go with it.

One way of telling if one is saved or not, if they sin, they will feel guilty for having done so, and I believe they will feel ashamed as well. After all the saved person does have the Holy Spirit dwelling within them and when we sin that will grieve the Holy Spirit that is within us.

That is true to a point, but even some (or most) lost people feel guilty for sinning because of their conscience.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

• Members

[quote="Crushmaster"][quote="Jerry80871852"][quote="pixiedust"]:a :amen: men: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: Thank you soooo much for saying that--it's true atleast in my life. Of course temptations come around but we don't stand there we walk away with Jesus and if we fall we don't stay there because there is no joy! your sister in Christ--pixiedust[/quote]

One way of telling if one is saved or not, if they sin, they will feel guilty for having done so, and I believe they will feel ashamed as well. After all the saved person does have the Holy Spirit dwelling within them and when we sin that will grieve the Holy Spirit that is within us.[/quote]
That is true to a point, but even some (or most) lost people feel guilty for sinning because of their conscience.
God bless,
Crushmaster.[/quote]

True. God written in their heart.
There are alot of lost people who act alot better than christians. But then there is a lot who don't.

But they do sin against the Lord and say there is no God or have a different belief in a god.

BUT the Lord said we will know them by their fruit so can a person be saved and remain in continual sin and not be chastised by the Lord? Doesn't He punish His children??? In love of course!--Pixiedust

BUT the Lord said we will know them by their fruit so can a person be saved and remain in continual sin and not be chastised by the Lord? Doesn't He punish His children??? In love of course!--Pixiedust

• Members

Its difficult to judge a person being saved or not, something that we just cannot disceran for sure. Its something we have to leave to Jesus and we can be assured He can read that persons heart and know what is in it.

There was a time, when if we had witness David's life during a certain time period, I feel sure we would have thought that David was not a man after God's heart, for he was invloved is an affair with Bathsheba, them had her husband murdered, them tried to cover it all up. One thing he did do, when he was approached about this, he repented and was very sorry for what he had done.

Seems that many times when we approach someone becasue of their back slidden condition, that can happen and does not mean they are lost, instead of having convictions becasue of their sin, they get mad and very defensive, to me that is a sign they care not about God nor His way. Seems if they did, they would be repenant and want nothing but forgivness from God as David did.

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

1 John 2:19 (KJV)

It semes to appear, if they go competely out from us, and do not come back, they were never of us.

And as you mentioned, the child of God when living in sin will get chasteing from God, if they stay in this sin, refuse to repent, and if it gets bad enough they could bring the sin unto death upon their self.

5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:

6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Heb 12:5-9 (KJV)

16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

1 John 5:16 (KJV)