• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Being born again

Doug138 wrote: Adam was created in the image of God. When he sinned, he died in two ways. First, the Spirit of God left him, & he became spiritually dead. Second, the flesh God made him was created to last forever, but after he sinned, the death process began.

The rest of us were not so much created in God's image, but in Adam's fallen image. Adam was created eternal and died. We were born spiritually dead, like our father Adam, but can be reborn. When we are born again, we re-acquire what Adam had originally, the Spirit of God in us.

Hey, Doug...that statement is great....You are soooooo right! I love it!

You know the new birth in the Spirit is kinda like the physical birth. When a baby is born into this world, there is a cry, if not, the doctor spanks and then the baby cries, if the baby doesn't cry, then it is a dead baby. That is the way it is in the Spiritual birth. When someone receives the Holy Ghost, there will be evidence of the Spirtual birth, and that evidence is the cry of the tongues. If there is no tongues, then the babe never is born alive. A repented baby will stay in the womb and never enjoy real life until they are fully born again. That is why we must seek the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bro. Dave, do you not know anything about the book of Acts? Everytime a beliver received the Holy Ghost they spoke in another tongues. That is the evidence that you have received the Holy Ghost.

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Acts 19: 2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. 3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. 4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 7 And all the men were about twelve.

I just love the Word of God, don't you Bro. Dave?

• Members

I like Paul in 1cor 14:19

had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue
I learned a long time ago some of the things God used before
that which was perfect was come
, (cannon of scripture) He does not use any more. 1 Cor 13:8
Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away
. 1Co 13:10
But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away
Because we have the complete "perfect" Word of God things that were in part have been done away with IE.. prophecies, tongues, knowledge.

And another thing, when you baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: as Mat 28 commands you have included Jesus name haven't you?

Bro. Dave, there is a difference in speaking in tongues when you are born again of the Spirit and the spiritual gift of tongues. The gift of tongues is use in the Church as to when God gives a message to the Church, and then the gift of interpretation is used. Every time someone received the Holy Ghost in the book of Acts, they spoke in tongues. That is the evidence that they have been born again of the Spirit.

I Corinthians 6-10 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

The only perfect one that I know of is Jesus Christ. When he comes it will be all over. No more need for speaking in tongues or for prophesy, because we will be caught up with Jesus in the air. If you hadn't received the Holy Ghost when the perfect one comes, then it is too late. No need to try to speak in tongues then.

And on that other thing...about Matthew 28:18-19...Jesus was speaking to his disciples, and you know Peter was there and heard what Jesus told him to do...and don't you know that Peter obeyed Jesus Christ in Acts 2:38. I believe Peter understood what Jesus told him to do..don't you? Then if Peter didn't obey Jesus....we should just throw in the towel.

Everyone baptized in the book of Acts were baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

Acts 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. 4Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 7 And all the men were about twelve.

I do believe that it is important to say "in the name of Lord Jesus Christ for remission of sins" The name is very important.

• Members
Doug138 wrote: Adam was created in the image of God. When he sinned, he died in two ways. First, the Spirit of God left him, & he became spiritually dead. Second, the flesh God made him was created to last forever, but after he sinned, the death process began.

The rest of us were not so much created in God's image, but in Adam's fallen image. Adam was created eternal and died. We were born spiritually dead, like our father Adam, but can be reborn. When we are born again, we re-acquire what Adam had originally, the Spirit of God in us.

Hey, Doug...that statement is great....You are soooooo right! I love it!

You know the new birth in the Spirit is kinda like the physical birth. When a baby is born into this world, there is a cry, if not, the doctor spanks and then the baby cries, if the baby doesn't cry, then it is a dead baby. That is the way it is in the Spiritual birth. When someone receives the Holy Ghost, there will be evidence of the Spirtual birth, and that evidence is the cry of the tongues. If there is no tongues, then the babe never is born alive. A repented baby will stay in the womb and never enjoy real life until they are fully born again. That is why we must seek the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.

By this definition of yours, June, you are calling me and every other baptist on here unsaved--having NOT been born again because we "DON'T speak in tongues" (basically that we are on our way to hell); was that your intention? I came to OB to learn and fellowship with like-minded believers. I'm not saying that I wouldn't listen to or check-out your interpretation of some verses out of the Bible, but I would expect that you would seriously take to heart that which people like brodave is trying to explain to you as well. I may have misunderstood your intentions, please forgive me if I have, but in your post it seems you are trying to teach us with authority, rather than learn from us or discuss with us what WE believe.......it is, after all, an IFB board.

• Members

By this definition of yours, June, you are calling me and every other baptist on here unsaved--having NOT been born again because we "DON'T speak in tongues" (basically that we are on our way to hell); was that your intention? I came to OB to learn and fellowship with like-minded believers. I'm not saying that I wouldn't listen to or check-out your interpretation of some verses out of the Bible, but I would expect that you would seriously take to heart that which people like brodave is trying to explain to you as well. I may have misunderstood your intentions, please forgive me if I have, but in your post it seems you are trying to teach us with authority, rather than learn from us or discuss with us what WE believe.......it is, after all, an IFB board.

I think I read in another post concerning "June" that she has "moved on," which I interpret to mean she's been given the moderator boot.

Was it Paul in Galations that said he hasn't arrived but went on striving for perfection in Christ ?
Paul both a grace and new works preacher ? Really want to mess with Ephesians 2:10 ?
Was it John in his epistle letter that said our confession of sin gets us back into the salvation of God when we mess up ?
Paul said as much about repentance as he did grace to be saved.
Actually he said more about repentance than he did grace to be saved.
While this is true I'm not saying grace only is salvation.
Just saying grace + repentance = salvation if Paul a grace and repentance preacher on salvation too.
Only way to do mess up an understanding on that is to overlook Ephesians 2:10, Mark 16:16, etc.
Truths of the bible aren't put there to overlook other truths of the bible.
All truth on salvation is all the bible on salvation.
Otherwise we phony if we despise 2 Timothy 3:16 and run off with Ephesians 2:8 like a quick scholar so easy.
Just need a big shot celebrity and intellectual to influence you to do this.

• Members
So do I understand that you believe that you must do more than put your trust in the finished work of Christ on the cross and His resurrection 1Cor 15:1-4 for your salvation? If we are saved by "grace through faith" that means I put my faith in the grace of God. Not in any work I could ever do' date=' if Christ did the work for me.[/quote']

Tony,
Why is it you never answer the specific questions posed and always run to the same scriptures?
Here are a few other questions I have always wanted answered by someone who believes like you. But they never answer, maybe you will.
How many sins must someone commit before he looses his salvation?
Must they get saved again?
Does he have need to be baptized again?
Which sin causes me to loose my salvation?

Thank you ahead of time for your answers
Bro Dave

I believe that I can answer the questions:

How many sins must someone commit before he looses his salvation? One will do it.

Must they get saved again? Only repent and your back in, if you don?t die or Jesus comes before you do.

Does he have need to be baptized again? No. Just repent, but if you feel to, then do it.

Which sin causes me to loose my salvation? Telling a lie, Rev. 21:8

I believe that I can answer the questions:

How many sins must someone commit before he looses his salvation? One will do it.

Must they get saved again? Only repent and your back in, if you don?t die or Jesus comes before you do.

Does he have need to be baptized again? No. Just repent, but if you feel to, then do it.

Which sin causes me to loose my salvation? Telling a lie, Rev. 21:8

(John 10:28-29) - "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. {29} My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand."
An interesting thought came to me when I was thinking about losing your salvation...

These verses tell us that, when we are saved, Christ has us in His hand. Thus, if you can "lose your salvation" you are overpowering God, and wriggling out of His hand.

It's something to think about.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

The previous post was - These verses tell us that, when we are saved, Christ has us in His hand. Thus, if you can "lose your salvation" you are overpowering God, and wriggling out of His hand.

I don't know too much about the Bible, but I heard that explained one time. No one can take you out of God's hand but you can take yourself out i guess by wriggling. Did the bible say somewhere that we can keep on sinning until we have searred (sp) our concience with a hot iron. (something like that)

No one can take you out of God's hand but you can take yourself out i guess by wriggling.

Wouldn't that mean that the blood of Christ was not enough to cover your sin of "wriggling"?

Can you not see that nothing is more powerful than the blood of Christ? Once you are saved it is enough to cover all sin...

1st Peter among other passages proves that the Christian can't "wriggle out".

I will quote quite a bit here so the context is plain.

"1st Peter 13-23 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear: Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever."

We see from this passage that the saved person is a son of God(many other passages teach this as well). We also see that the reason we should not sin after salvation is based on two things, one, because the father is just and will judge us according to our work(this judgment can't mean for our salvation because other passages clearly state that salvation is not of our works, so rather it refers to the chastening the father gives his children) and two, out of respect for the blood of Christ. Why should we do that which Christ died to save us from? Finally, that passage says we are born again of "incorruptible" seed, meaning we cannot die spiritually speaking. Christ said that "whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die" If we can loose salvation that would not be true.