• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is Christ Jesus God?

• Members

The deity of Jesus is one of the most important question in this book, and every believer should have a biblical answer to this question. 

Why is that? 

Because there is more confusion around the person of Jesus Christ than any other human figure in history, while most people will readily accept that Jesus was once a man, many will rage at the claim that He was more than a man.

It is worth noting that a compelling argument is made stating that Jesus never mentioned, nor does the Bible document Him saying, “I am God worship me.”

Although Jesus does not explicitly use those words, we do have several statements in the Bible that would imply the characteristics of Jesus’s claims of deity.

CLAIMS & ACTIONS OF JESUS 

JESUS CLAIMED TO BE ETERNAL YAHWEH
John 8:58 (NIV)

58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”

JESUS CLAIMED EQUALITY WITH GOD
John 10:30 (NIV)

30 I and the Father are one.”

JESUS OPENLY ACCEPTED WORSHIP
Matthew 8:2 (NIV)

2 A man with leprosy came and knelt before him and said, “Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.”

John 9:38 (NIV) (the man who was born blind)

38 Then the man said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him.

JESUS OPENLY FORGAVE SIN
John 8:11 (NIV) – (Jesus and the prostitute)

11 “No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

Matthew 9:2 (NIV) – (Paralyzed man)

2 Some men brought to him a paralyzed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.”

JESUS EXPECTED THE DISCIPLES TO PRAY IN HIS NAME
John 14:13-14 (NIV)

13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

A further list of claims by Jesus is included at the end of this page for your reference. 

Furthermore, in John Chapter 5:17–24, Jesus makes five distinct claims of being equal with God. He is equal with the Father in His person, in His sovereign power, in His works, in His judgment, and in the honor that is due to Him.

John 5:17-24 (NKJV)

17. But Jesus answered them, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.”

18. Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.

19. Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.

20. For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does; and He will show Him greater works than these, that you may marvel.

21. For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will.

22. For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son,

23. that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

24. “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

CLAIMS OF JESUS FOLLOWERS 

Moreover, we also see statements made by Jesus’ close disciples.

Although initially, it took them a while, they eventually recognized that behind the cover of His humanity abided the Glory of His Divinity.

THOMAS CALLED JESUS GOD
John 20:28 (NIV)

28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

JOHN OPENS HIS BOOK BY CALLING JESUS GOD
John 1:1 (NIV)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 (NIV)

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

MATHEW REFERS TO JESUS AS IMMANUEL IN HIS BOOK
Matthew 1:23 (NIV)

23 The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel (which means “God with us”).

Even from a historical study, the early Church refuted claims that reduced Jesus to being merely a man and warmly welcomed Jesus as God. 

The Chalcedonian Creed, written in 451 AD (statement of the early Church), asserts that Jesus is indeed God and Truly Man. 

These clear statements from the Bible are sufficient for anyone to recognize that Jesus was more than a just man and was God revealing Himself in human flesh.  

In fact there are only three possible explanations for the claims that Jesus made. Either he was crazy, a deceiver or exactly who He claimed to be. He could not have possibly been merely a good moral teacher for such people do not make the kind of claims that Jesus had made – as C. S. Lewis notes,

”A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

• Members

There was never no confusing to me, who Jesus is. Those that have any doubts or unbeliever of Jesus. I don’t waste my time trying to prove this to them. I simply say to them, the lost, what the Bible says. The foolish man say there is no God, or those that don’t believe in Jesus the son of God. Your on your own, live a happy life. 

Thanks you for sharing your post.

• Members

Just a tip....don't post references as (NIV)....On these forums, Scripture references are to be KJV only.  I'm sure sooner or later a moderator or administrator of the site would have told you. 

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
30 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

There was never no confusing to me, who Jesus is. Those that have any doubts or unbeliever of Jesus. I don’t waste my time trying to prove this to them. I simply say to them, the lost, what the Bible says. The foolish man say there is no God, or those that don’t believe in Jesus the son of God. Your on your own, live a happy life. 

Thanks you for sharing your post.

You do sound stoical and let me put you in remembrance of this scripture..

1Pe 3:15  But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Col 4:6  Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

The Deity of Christ Jesus is under attack would you agree?

28 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Just a tip....don't post references as (NIV)....On these forums, Scripture references are to be KJV only.  I'm sure sooner or later a moderator or administrator of the site would have told you. 

The KJV is my primary Bible and I am well aware of the perversions that are in circulation in this world.
J.

• Members
19 minutes ago, Johann said:

1Pe 3:15  But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Col 4:6  Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

The KJV is my primary Bible and I am well aware of the perversions that are in circulation in this world.
J.

Just making you aware of a forum rule before moderators or administrators say something. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Johann said:

J.

Quote, The Deity of Christ Jesus is under attack would you agree? 

I would say that true  Christians are under attack, remember Jesus is ❤️ Love for many. 

• Members

Welcome to these boards, Johann. I will restate what BrotherTony did, yes it is the policy of these boards to quote from the KJV only. It may take you longer to edit something you are copying and pasting, but it will be more beneficial to all involved - especially as you yourself are acknowledging the KJV as superior to the modern versions.

There are certainly some worthwhile points that you made above.

Edited by Jerry

• Moderators

Yup to both above. Johann, can you please edit your opening post to include only KJV verses? This is a rule of this board. You can find them at the link below. Thank you!

• 11 months later...
  • Members

John chapter 1 cannot be gainsaid.

John 1:1-4 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Hebrews is clear also. I never understood the debate.

Hebrews 1:1-4 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; 4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.