• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Children's Devotionals

• 1 month later...
  • Members

[quote="Bakershalfdozen"]Anybody use children's devotionals for your kids?

Now that summer break is here :clap: , we are going through [url=http://cefpress.com/store/product.php?productid=54&cat=8&page=1]this[/url] one by CEF.[/quote]
that looks great. I have been wanting something like that for 2 kids that can read on their own.
One question though, what us CEF's believes, do you know? Are they pretty solid? I have looked at some that are way off base, IMO.

thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Members
What about using the Bible for devotions with children.

I think this is a great idea, Biblema! A Bible, a journal, and a pen is all that is needed, when you really think of it. We've done this at times as well. I think we tend to forget that great and godly men and women of the past somehow "got along" with just their Bibles and a quiet place. They didn't need cutesy, cartoony, trendy, dumbed-down study aids. Can you tell I'm not a fan of the children's devotional books offered today? In fact, I have found none I really like (and I've looked and looked). So, my kids have never used a devotional book other than the studies I've written for them. When they're not using my material, they just use their Bibles.

That said, I do like the devotional ideas presented by Doorposts publishers in their books Polished Cornerstones (for girls), Plants Grown Up (for boys), and Instruction in Righteousness (for families). There's no "devotional book," just ideas for study about topics which are geared toward helping children to become virtuous women and godly men.

EDITED TO ADD: In reading this post, I realized I need to temper my words about the children's devo books available today. I don't want to offend anyone who uses them, and I think that many of them are probably useful. I just do not prefer them for my own children; I think there are better ways for children to study the Bible.

• Members

I agree with you .Children can handle what they become used to .
Give them dumbed down material and that is what they will like .
Give them the real Bible and they will be used to that .
I don't use children's Bibles either .
I taught my oldest girls to read using the KJV Bible .And it became their reader then too starting in Genesis of course .
Only the Bible is pure and sanctfying .

• Members

I check on this thread every time someone else replies and find some of the responses amusing.

#1, At the time of my OP, my children were 3, 4,5 and 9.

#2, The 3, 4 and 5 year-olds could not read well enough on their own to read the Bible for themselves.

#3, I never said it was for personal devotions. We used it in a group setting.

#4, Apparently most of you have never even seen the children's devotional I linked up there because in spite of the cover, it is not a cutesy little Bible story book. It is a daily lesson with a Bible passage to read. I would have my 9 year old read the passage and then I would read the devotion. Then we would discuss the verses and the devotion and then pray together. These studies provoked some good questions from my kids.

#5, This devotional is not the only Bible influence our children get. I did this with our children in the mornings but my husband also had a time of just regular Bible reading and prayer with everyone later in the day.

Everyone happy? :wave:

• Members
I check on this thread every time someone else replies and find some of the responses amusing.

Well, I'm glad you were just amused, and not offended. I for one completely misunderstood what you were asking. (See below.)

#1, At the time of my OP, my children were 3, 4,5 and 9.

#2, The 3, 4 and 5 year-olds could not read well enough on their own to read the Bible for themselves.

#3, I never said it was for personal devotions. We used it in a group setting.

I'm sorry, BHD...I did misunderstand you. When I looked at the product's description, it said that it was to get kids started on their daily quiet time...so I assumed that you were asking about stuff that our kids do on their own. Many apologies. My response was geared toward that question.

#4, Apparently most of you have never even seen the children's devotional I linked up there because in spite of the cover, it is not a cutesy little Bible story book. It is a daily lesson with a Bible passage to read. I would have my 9 year old read the passage and then I would read the devotion. Then we would discuss the verses and the devotion and then pray together. These studies provoked some good questions from my kids.

Sounds great; I'd love to check this book out sometime. (There was no "look inside" feature on this item.) I'm glad this book has been helpful for you and your kids. Sounds like you're doing a great job getting them all involved and excited about devotions with Mom! Our family also uses books in addition to the Bible for our family worship time, since the kids' ages are so disparate. Of course, our time together is centered around Scripture. One book in particular that has been great at teaching doctrine is Marian Schooland's Leading Little Ones to God.

#5, This devotional is not the only Bible influence our children get. I did this with our children in the mornings but my husband also had a time of just regular Bible reading and prayer with everyone later in the day.

Sounds wonderful...Don't forget the Bible influence your children get as they watch you and your husband live godly lives! You seem to be doing a great job with them.

Just to clarify (which I tried--maybe unsuccessfully--to do at the end of my previous post), I wasn't saying I dislike the resource you linked to, which would have been unfair, since I don't know anything about it. I was commenting on the devotionals I had seen at the average Christian bookstore, which IMO give the wrong impression of God and His glory, greatness, power, and reality with insipid drawings and warm-and-fuzzy depictions of things that should be depicted with reverence and true artistic beauty. But I know I'm pickier than most...and when it comes down to it, there's probably nothing "wrong" with those devotionals. As I said, these are preferences of mine. Literary pet peeves include references to God as "totally awesome," or to miracles as "cool," etc. I think these kinds of words, as well as comic-type drawings bring God down to our level instead of exalting Him as the totally transcendent, Holy One.

• Members

I read the Bible to my children when they were 3,5 and so on .It was a special time for them .I did stick drawings to go with what I read .And used other little things too to illustrate .I did the same narrative every day for a week. They grew up with the Bible as their own devotional.
I nearly started using something else at one stage but was convicted not to.

• Members
I was commenting on the devotionals I had seen at the average Christian bookstore' date=' which IMO give the wrong impression of God and His glory, greatness, power, and reality with insipid drawings and warm-and-fuzzy depictions of things that should be depicted with reverence and true artistic beauty. But I know I'm pickier than most...and when it comes down to it, there's probably nothing "wrong" with those devotionals. As I said, these are preferences of mine. Literary pet peeves include references to God as "totally awesome," or to miracles as "cool," etc. I think these kinds of words, as well as comic-type drawings bring God down to our level instead of exalting Him as the totally transcendent, Holy One.[/quote']

I completely agree with your assessment of many children's Bible story books and devotionals.

I wasn't clear in my OP about my usage of this devotional so my 2nd post was meant for clarification, not offense. I hope no one was offended by what I wrote.

• Members
I read the Bible to my children when they were 3,5 and so on .It was a special time for them .I did stick drawings to go with what I read .And used other little things too to illustrate .I did the same narrative every day for a week. They grew up with the Bible as their own devotional.
I nearly started using something else at one stage but was convicted not to.

That's great, Biblema. The fact that you used stick figurers along with your reading shows that you are not really opposed to using things other than the words of Scripture to help your children understand the content. Young children can benefit from visual aids like this. I like this approach. We all have different styles, don't we?