• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do you think Pastors, should be on Facebook posting

Go to solution Solved by Jerry,

• Members
3 minutes ago, E Morales said:

It has become so Worldly and more. Pastors and true Christian should stay away from posting there.

What do you think ?

I think you should allow people to make their own decision on whether or not to post there. I don't see why they shouldn't be able to post there...I know several who do. 

• Members

As a Pastor on Facebook with several groups, geared both to the lost and saved, I think more pastors and Christians in general should get involved in intentional ministry and evangelism there. Now if they are just there to chew the fat and complain and read gossip, or they are easily provoked or get high blood pressure, then no they should not be there or any social media platform. 

Edited by John Young

• Members
5 minutes ago, John Young said:

As a Pastor on Facebook with several groups, geared both to the lost and saved, I think more pastors and Christians in general should get involved in intentional ministry and evangelism there. Now if they are just there to chew the fat and complain and read gossip, or they are easily provoked or get high blood pressure, then no they should not be there or any social media platform. 

The good old email and text are still good tools, and you don’t have to see all other junk.

38 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I agree, that’s why I am asking brother Tony. I am not telling anyone what to do. I’m just telling everyone what I think. It’s your decision 

• Members
5 minutes ago, E Morales said:

good old email and text are still good tools, and you don’t have to see all other junk.

I get more junk in my email than on facebook. The key to both is to know how to use the blocking and spam tools. I have very little extra junk on my feed because I know how to customize it.

• Members
2 minutes ago, John Young said:

I get more junk in my email than on facebook. The key to both is to know how to use the blocking and spam tools. I have very little extra junk on my feed because I know how to customize it.

Sounds good and it’s working for you. No problem, I do watch on YouTube Preaching and services.

• Members

Email is only a good platform inasmuch as you can only contact people you know by email (or that have given you their contact info).

Facebook has its dangers. If someone does not link to or friend heretics, etc. then it can probably be a good platform - just have your settings changed so that anyone can read your posts. When they search for Bible topics, they find your posts. You can modify your settings that no one or those you choose can reply so you don't get flooded with spam or evil people trying to undermine your messages.

The biggest danger to me is the connections I see between people and other ungodly people or organizations - ie. someone might be a sound Christian but then have ungodly people friended and linked to them. You go to check out related people/links and you get immorality, immodesty, ungodly music and entertainment, in your face. Having a link to a godly preacher or ministry, with no links to sinful material or compromising individuals/ministries, I can see it being beneficial.

• Members
20 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Email is only a good platform inasmuch as you can only contact people you know by email (or that have given you their contact info).

Facebook has its dangers. If someone does not link to or friend heretics, etc. then it can probably be a good platform - just have your settings changed so that anyone can read your posts. When they search for Bible topics, they find your posts. You can modify your settings that no one or those you choose can reply so you don't get flooded with spam or evil people trying to undermine your messages.

The biggest danger to me is the connections I see between people and other ungodly people or organizations - ie. someone might be a sound Christian but then have ungodly people friended and linked to them. You go to check out related people/links and you get immorality, immodesty, ungodly music and entertainment, in your face. Having a link to a godly preacher or ministry, with no links to sinful material or compromising individuals/ministries, I can see it being beneficial.

Yet, we see that Jesus ate with publicans and sinners...Hmmm...so we shouldn't link or be friends with anyone who isn't a Bible banger...right? Don't think so...it's gonna be hard to reach people if we cloister ourselves!

• Members
11 minutes ago, Jerry said:

You won’t find me on Facebook, Instagrams, messenger, what’s up, or anything own by Facebook. They are watching, listening to all your movement and activities, Great anti christ tools app’s. Talk to somebody about buying a new TV, next thing you know you are getting TV’s commercials  On your smartphone. Hay Siri, Alexa, Hello Google all spying.

• Members
14 minutes ago, E Morales said:

You won’t find me on Facebook, Instagrams, messenger, what’s up, or anything own by Facebook. They are watching, listening to all your movement and activities, Great anti christ tools app’s. Talk to somebody about buying a new TV, next thing you know you are getting TV’s commercials  On your smartphone. Hay Siri, Alexa, Hello Google all spying.

Just thought I'd ask...do you have a cell phone? Smart phone? Do you drive a car newer than 1975? They all have computers and are able to be tracked. My brother and his wife, and my sister and her husband have Alexa, and they have admitted that they can hear other people's conversations, and that at times they hear the unit kick on an listen to them. It's a strange feeling being in their homes when these things kick on! 

• Members

The anti-Christ will be be able to hunt anyone down with all this technology and don’t let me talk about cameras, and China, they’re taking photos of all humans right now, there and over here. Just go to google and enter China photo ID images being taken. Watching people through Tic-Tok. That’s why Trump was trying to ban them, here in America.

• Members
57 minutes ago, E Morales said:

The anti-Christ will be be able to hunt anyone down with all this technology and don’t let me talk about cameras, and China, they’re taking photos of all humans right now, there and over here. Just go to google and enter China photo ID images being taken. Watching people through Tic-Tok. That’s why Trump was trying to ban them, here in America.

My wife and I know about these things...she worked for Dell for many years, and we were involved in IT technology before it was "cool." We are photographed anywhere from 100 to 10K times a day, depending on how accessible you are...If you're out there in the public all day long. Thankfully, that isn't much of a problem for me any longer. My wife, however, is usually out in the public eye for 12 to 18 hours a day. We don't use TikTok, though our nephews and nieces seem to like it. 

• Members
  • Solution
22 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Yet, we see that Jesus ate with publicans and sinners...Hmmm...so we shouldn't link or be friends with anyone who isn't a Bible banger...right? Don't think so...it's gonna be hard to reach people if we cloister ourselves!

I didn't say anyone shouldn't reach out to sinners or be cloistered off from them. I gave my opinion of how I thought I and other preachers could use Facebook safely. You can reach out to the lost without linking to their profiles and associations. Years ago, when everyone was focussed on websites (more than social media), to link to another site meant you endorsed them, put your stamp of approval on them. To me the same principle applies here - especially if you are trying to reach the lost for the Lord - having them follow links from your profile to other ones that teach falsehood, teach another gospel, or present religious information that would lead them astray would be counterproductive to what you say you are doing. And this is criminal and unjustifiable when it is actually within your ability to control. You can't control who links to you - a sound ministry - but you can control who you link to. If they follow an immoral or lost person's profile to get to you - great! But if they are already visiting your ministry profile, they don't need to be led astray from that.

Personally, I find it very morally damaging and offensive, for example, to click on someone's profile, wondering how they were connected to you or someone you knew, and then be flooded with profile pics of their women "friends" that basically have their breasts hanging out of their shirts or showing more skin than any true believer should ever be showing in public, or you are flooded with pics and posts that are full of swearing and sexual suggestiveness, or even all types of idolatry.

And for the record, I am not telling anyone to do or not do anything here, Tony, like you seemed to state above. I am giving my opinion on how I believe someone can have and maintain a ministry safely on Facebook.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I didn't say anyone shouldn't reach out to sinners or be cloistered off from them. I gave my opinion of how I thought I and other preachers could use Facebook safely. You can reach out to the lost without linking to their profiles and associations. Years ago, when everyone was focussed on websites (more than social media), to link to another site meant you endorsed them, put your stamp of approval on them. To me the same principle applies here - especially if you are trying to reach the lost for the Lord - having them follow links from your profile to other ones that teach falsehood, teach another gospel, or present religious information that would lead them astray would be counterproductive to what you say you are doing. And this is criminal and unjustifiable when it is actually within your ability to control. You can't control who links to you - a sound ministry - but you can control who you link to. If they follow an immoral or lost person's profile to get to you - great! But if they are already visiting your ministry profile, they don't need to be led astray from that.

Personally, I find it very morally damaging and offensive, for example, to click on someone's profile, wondering how they were connected to you or someone you knew, and then be flooded with profile pics of their women "friends" that basically have their breasts hanging out of their shirts or showing more skin than any true believer should ever be showing in public, or you are flooded with pics and posts that are full of swearing and sexual suggestiveness, or even all types of idolatry.

And for the record, I am not telling anyone to do or not do anything here, Tony, like you seemed to state above. I am giving my opinion on how I believe someone can have and maintain a ministry safely on Facebook.

I know that I am linked to many people who are unsaved on Facebook...many of them my relatives. I don't encourage people to go looking at their profiles...and I don't go to other peoples profiles and visit their friends profiles. I don't know many who do that kind of thing. If someone has that much time on their hands...they have TOO much time on their hands! ? I don't believe I said you were stating what you implied I was stating...I made a generalized comment of my position. 

• Members

A pastor or a ministry could EASILY make up a profile for their church or ministry that only links up to other like minded ministries. This could easily be separated from any personal or family profiles. People do it for businesses all the time, why not for a ministry? That way the ministry is still separate from anything questionable and still has a solid Facebook presence. You can follow things you personally choose to follow with your own personal Facebook profile - even a particular pastor or ministry (so that others can find it through your Profile if it ever came to that) - without that ministry necessarily linking back to you. Danger and compromise easily avoided in that regard.