• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The False Teachings of Seventh Day Adventism

LindaR

• Members

Heretical Christian "sect" or cult?

Is Seventh Day Adventism just another heretical Christian "sect" or is it a cult? I am not using the word cult flippantly. I studied the history of SDA and Ellen G. White...I have even gone "head to head" with some of their people. I feel that SDA teaches "another" gospel (Gal. 1:8-9). SDA never started out as a Christian "sect". The roots of this movement are not Biblical. First and foremost, SDA ADDS to the Gospel of grace...their #1 addition is Sabbath keeping...that the Sabbath is eternally binding on men from the creation. Here are some of the SDA teachings which, IMHO, put it into the category of "cult":

1. Soul Sleep
2. Annihilation of the wicked (JWs teach this also)
3. Investigative Judgment
4. Ellen G. White as prophetess (her "prophecies" have more authority than the Bible)
5. Mixing Law and Grace and leading people AWAY from Christ and putting them back under the Law.

That's for starters...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Right you are, Linda! It is not a Christian denomination. True Christians can possibly get deceived by their false teachings - but a person can never get saved through their works-based gospel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My uncle is a Seventh Day Adventist, and his wife has followed him into the religion. I do admire my uncles' commitment, but unfortunately many of those commitments are extra-Biblical at best. He won't even use a toll road on Saturday.

For example, he refuses to eat meat. I think Jesus made it clear in Matthew 15 that we can eat whatever, because it's what comes out of a man's mouth that makes him unclean rather than what goes in. Also, Paul said in 1st Timothy 4 I believe that a certain doctrine of demons forbids men to eat meat (and also to marry) and that all food is meant to be received with thanksgiving. Not to mention, Peter had a vision in the book of Acts where God declared all food clean.

• Members

I never knew much about the SDA. I always thought they were like us but just had church on Saturday. Then as I studied I realized that they really follow Ellen White's visions and all sorts of prophesies. There is a cable channel that is a SDA channel and all you have to do is watch about 20 minutes of their sermons and realize, if you know good doctrine, that they are way off.

• Members

My uncle has tried a few times to convince us of the teaching of Seventh-Day Adventism. They are very committed to what they believe, though I disagree with them completely since I think they are bringing themselves back under the law that we have been freed from. Of course, I also think that Ellen G. White was just a wannabe prophetess who deceived a lot of people. I don't think they claim her teachings are above the Bible but equal to it. I do believe with all my heart that my aunt and uncle are both Christians, though, despite their misguided beliefs. There is definitely fruit there.

• Members
I also think that Ellen G. White was just a wannabe prophetess who deceived a lot of people. I don't think they claim her teachings are above the Bible but equal to it.

Maybe not every SDA believes that they are above the Bible - but most do, and the whole religion is based on her writings, not the Bible.

I do believe with all my heart that my aunt and uncle are both Christians, though, despite their misguided beliefs. There is definitely fruit there.

And what do they believe about salvation and about the Lord Jesus Christ. Being active religiously is not necessarily Biblical fruit. A true Christian can get confused and get caught up in their deception (ie. being saved before they get deceived by the SDA church) - but no one can get saved through their false gospel of works.

• Members

I've only really known one SDA member fairly well. She was a very nice lady, very dedicated and really seemed to love the Lord but she was also SO caught up in the SDA rules (Saturday worship, no caffiene, etc). I really don't know if she was truly saved or not but I'm afraid she may not have been. :sad

• Members

Hi There!

First I'd like to say that the SDA Church is not a cult. Do they err in some doctrine? Absolutely. Can a person be a true Christian and attend an SDA Church? Absolutely. There are many fine Christian brothers and sisters in the Adventist Church. They love the Lord with all their heart and are earnestly seeking to know Him. Are there folks there that are trying to work their way to heaven? Yes. And mind you, they are some of the most miserable Christians you ever did see. Are there sheep in the SDA Church that hear His voice (see John 10:27). Yes there are! Is there lost souls in the SDA Church? Sadly, there is.

I would implore you to pray for your brothers and sisters in the SDA Church. Many love the Lord and will make heaven their home forever. Many are confused and still others are trying to work their way to heaven. They are all precious people that need your prayers. Jesus died for everyone, no matter what church door they pass through.

May the Lord richly bless each of you. Thank you for letting me join in the forum. :wave:

Blessings,

Little Sis

• Members

The SDA is a cult, and no one will get saved or grow spiritually through their false doctrines based on a false prophetess. Wishing they were a true Christian church/denomination won't make it so.

• Members

[quote="Jerry"]The SDA is a cult, and no one will get saved or grow spiritually through their false doctrines based on a false prophetess. Wishing they were a true Christian church/denomination won't make it so.[/quote]

True.

Any church, even one professing to be a Christian church, that doesn't preach and teach the One True Gospel is a false church, a cult. This is true of the SDA, Catholic, Mormon and other wrongly-called "Christian" churches.

No doubt many of the members of all these false churches are sincere but Scripture is clear that sincerity will not save anyone. Scripture leaves no doubt that in the end many will stand before Christ proclaiming all they did for Him yet Jesus Himself will have to say that He never knew them. Those who "do things for Jesus" yet who have never been biblically born again are just as lost as the Muslim who rejects Jesus is the Christ, the pagan who worships "Mother Nature", the one who declares there is no God and anyone else who is lost and condemned to eternal damnation because they have failed to accept Christ Jesus as their Saviour and Lord in accordance with the Word of God.

• Members

[quote="Jerry"]The SDA is a cult, and no one will get saved or grow spiritually through their false doctrines based on a false prophetess. Wishing they were a true Christian church/denomination won't make it so.[/quote]

Yes its a cult, and like many others, there are saved people within it who have been led astray.

• Members

[quote="Jerry80871852"][quote="Jerry"]The SDA is a cult, and no one will get saved or grow spiritually through their false doctrines based on a false prophetess. Wishing they were a true Christian church/denomination won't make it so.[/quote]

Yes its a cult, and like many others, there are saved people within it who have been led astray.[/quote]

Were they saved in the SDA or prior to becoming SDA?

Archived