• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The False Teachings of Seventh Day Adventism

LindaR

• Members

Do they believe that after your saved you no longer sin, if you do that means you were not saved?

Please explain, I John 1:8-10

[bible]1 John 1:8-10[/bible]

Admin Note: Please follow the boards rules when posting.
http://onlinebaptist.com/messageboards/thread-9015.html

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Heretical Christian "sect" or cult?

Is Seventh Day Adventism just another heretical Christian "sect" or is it a cult? I am not using the word cult flippantly. I studied the history of SDA and Ellen G. White...I have even gone "head to head" with some of their people. I feel that SDA teaches "another" gospel (Gal. 1:8-9). SDA never started out as a Christian "sect". The roots of this movement are not Biblical. First and foremost, SDA ADDS to the Gospel of grace...their #1 addition is Sabbath keeping...that the Sabbath is eternally binding on men from the creation. Here are some of the SDA teachings which, IMHO, put it into the category of "cult":

1. Soul Sleep
2. Annihilation of the wicked (JWs teach this also)
3. Investigative Judgment
4. Ellen G. White as prophetess (her "prophecies" have more authority than the Bible)
5. Mixing Law and Grace and leading people AWAY from Christ and putting them back under the Law.

That's for starters...

I was once a SDA. I was born into the SDA where we could not watch TV Friday and Saturday because we had to prepare for Saturday. We could not do no work on Saturday and we had to keep it Holy because if we did not do those things we feared that we could lose our salvation. We always had to walk on egg shells because if we made a mistake we could lose our salvation. We could not eat meat and PIG was a HUGE NONO! We would goto Hell for eating pig. I'm so glad I found out the truth. We are not saved by works but by grace. SDA is all about works and is very burdonsome and hard to follow, it is a cult started by Ellen G White and her husband. I can't really remember the history to a "T" but you know. They started it bacause they thought the world was going to end in 1884 and when it did not they made up the SDA to cover that blunder and then said it was the start of the Investigative Judgment and teach that it is still going on untill God comes back. Also when you die you are dead they teach. Yes, we are dead in the body but our spirit goes to God. "To be absent of the body is to be present with the Lord." They also teach that the SDA is the only church that God will save. Everyone else is going to Hell. Sorry IFB I guess we are doomed!Oh, yes I forgot! SDA don't believe in Hell, they think we will just not be no more. Praise God I'm out and now IFB. :amen:

• Members

I have had extensive dealings with the SDA's. When i was a young lad, I spent many summers up on my uncle's farm, and his wife tried to raise all of the 11 kids in the Adventist belief. I went to "Sabbath School" and even went to camp meeting down in Barrien Springs Michigan. I was a Roman Catholic by name only, and they tried their best to convert me. I heard H.M.S. Richards "preach" at the camp meeting (one of their "big guns"), but could not stomach the "vege-burgers" that they ate in place of meat. It seemed hypocritical to me that they ate vege-links and vege-burgers,and pretended that it was meat! The sect that i was exposed to did not wear jewelry either, but it was ok to make it out of agates that they collect on the roads! They sold it, but did not believe in wearing it! I even dated a SDA gal, but we could only go roller skating, and drive around and talk.

Many years later, my wife's aunt and uncle became SDA's and gave me a book to read called the "Blue collar law" or something like that. By that time I ws saved, and threw the book in the garbage. I don't think they ever forgave me for that; to this day they do not speak to us. I do not see how a Christian can take the Holy Spirit which indwells him into an environment like that, and claim that some may be saved.

Anyway, It is a cult, and furthermore, the Bible implies that a true Christian cannot be deceived by false Christs and doctrines. I said it "implies" that in Matthew 24:24
It mat be impossible to deceive the elect. And I am not afraid to say that any person that believes you can lose your salvation is not saved; they are trusting in their own works, and living in fear. It is ridicules to say that one can enter into eternal life by grace, and then suddenly think it is up to him to keep it.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

My husband and I were formerly SDA and after talking to other ex-Adventists it seems that each church is a little bit different. I can't speak for them all but we had bad experiences. Church doctrine itself changed drastically once we were baptised in to membership and questioning anything basically got me could-shouldered on and off for the time I was there. Eventually, we experienced many Biblical abuses.

I was told by the preacher that if you cry during prayer it's because you have sin on your sould and aren't truly saved, for example. That it's ok to eat meat (part of the health message/food restrictions) but that people who do so are in danger of hell, even if they believe in the Christ and are saved. The preacher would say salvation is forever and after a few months, from pressure of some of the older members who questioned him, changed his stance and said that re-baptism was needed for salvation after sin. There's a much longer list of everything that went on, really.

It came on suddenly, the doctrinal changes, and finally we left when the preacher stated that if a decision between Ellen White's writings or the Bible was needed that White took precedence, being more recent prophecy.

I, for one, consider it a cult having seen it from the inside and knowing many people who've left the SDAs.

• Members

My husband and I were formerly SDA and after talking to other ex-Adventists it seems that each church is a little bit different. I can't speak for them all but we had bad experiences. Church doctrine itself changed drastically once we were baptised in to membership and questioning anything basically got me could-shouldered on and off for the time I was there. Eventually, we experienced many Biblical abuses.

I was told by the preacher that if you cry during prayer it's because you have sin on your sould and aren't truly saved, for example. That it's ok to eat meat (part of the health message/food restrictions) but that people who do so are in danger of hell, even if they believe in the Christ and are saved. The preacher would say salvation is forever and after a few months, from pressure of some of the older members who questioned him, changed his stance and said that re-baptism was needed for salvation after sin. There's a much longer list of everything that went on, really.

It came on suddenly, the doctrinal changes, and finally we left when the preacher stated that if a decision between Ellen White's writings or the Bible was needed that White took precedence, being more recent prophecy.

I, for one, consider it a cult having seen it from the inside and knowing many people who've left the SDAs.

Stories similar to this is what I've heard too. Even from my own limited experience with a few SDA folks it seems that even the "better" SDA churches are cultish.

• Members

Stories similar to this is what I've heard too. Even from my own limited experience with a few SDA folks it seems that even the "better" SDA churches are cultish.

What really seemed odd to me, for lack of a better word, is the sway the older church women had on the preacher. He'd say something in the pulpit one didn't like, she'd talk or even argue with him in front of everyone on the way out, and the next week he's apologizing for saying whatever it was he preached on. Just rubbed me the wrong way and after the first time it put my hackels up.

• Members

What really seemed odd to me, for lack of a better word, is the sway the older church women had on the preacher. He'd say something in the pulpit one didn't like, she'd talk or even argue with him in front of everyone on the way out, and the next week he's apologizing for saying whatever it was he preached on. Just rubbed me the wrong way and after the first time it put my hackels up.

Unfortunately there are also other churches where some of the women pull the strings of the preacher so they get their way.

Totally wrong, and a bad church to be in where the women want to take authority so they can have things their way and the preacher bows to those women rather than to God.

• Members

Unfortunately there are also other churches where some of the women pull the strings of the preacher so they get their way.

Totally wrong, and a bad church to be in where the women want to take authority so they can have things their way and the preacher bows to those women rather than to God.

The stealing of authority troubles me, but moreso the fact that he'd apologize for preaching and the Bible. Far as I'm concerned no one needs to apologize for the Bible.

• Members

The stealing of authority troubles me, but moreso the fact that he'd apologize for preaching and the Bible. Far as I'm concerned no one needs to apologize for the Bible.

That's true. If one preaches what the Bible says they should never apologize for that. Any time we put the desires or wishes of others above what the Bible says we have placed them in the place of God. Very dangerous ground to be upon!

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

I was going to start an SDA thread, but here's a nice one to resurrect!

In our area, there are quite a few SDA folks. My wife is good friends with a couple. Interesting thing about them, is they agree with us that from a Sabbath perspective, it was originally never meant as a day to gather and worship-rather, as a day of rest, to stay home, relax, and seek God as a family. Including not to even light a fire. So, they have no church they gather with on Saturdays. In this, at least they get it.

The trouble with the SDA church is that, like so many other cults, there are many things they are correct about, but then, there are so many false doctrines, as well. My wife and I enjoy watching things on the creation vs. evolution subject, and there is an SDA teacher named Walter Veith who is excellent-almost an SDA Dr. Dino. Very informed, very smart and with great understanding of the subject. We watched all his videos, enjoyed them much, but of course, then my wife's friend sent us some of his other DVD's on specific SDA subjects, and its amazing to see how this man with such good understanding, suddenly begins towing the 'party line' and spouting the doctrines of the SDA without giving any biblical evidence to support it. Amazing the blind spots they set for themselves!

Ellen White: While many say, "Well. White was a good writer, and she had some inspiration, but we don't follow her as a prophet", yet according to SDA official writings, this is false: they hold her as a prophet, that she was given 'special light' to understand the scriptures. Her dreams and visions were given to her, and were to be considered authoritative. Such teachings as soul sleep/annihilation, no hell/punishment, the investigative judgment, the lifting of the seventh-day Sabbath above all other commandments, and as being necessary for salvation today, and, originally, veganism, not vegetarianism, were directly from her fertile imagination. She also taught, for quite a few years, the need to wear a certain style of special, 'healthy' clothing. Even the way God judges or blesses you are said to be in accordance with how well you follow or reject White's teachings, many of which were blatantly plagerized.

White was a compatriate of such health-seekers as Kellogg, (yes, the cereal guy), and her views on health matters were certainly based upon their teachings, not anything of the Bible. She also continued to eat meat, butter and such until the day she died, while insisting that no one else should.

Some lasting fruit of the SDA movement is that Charles Taze Russel was and SDA before leaving and starting the Watchtower Tract and Bible Society, also known as the Jehovah's Witnesses. He brought some of her teachings with him, such as soul-sleep and an unbelief in eternal punishment.

Like many cults, we can look at their early "authoritative' writings, and see many places where changes have been made over the years. Like Veganism has gone from being a command from God, to a suggestion to eat less meat today.

My concern, of course, is that anyone who gets 'saved' in the SDA church is not really saved at all, because an aspect of their salvation is a dependence upon works and the law to remain saved. Hence, they trust in Grace AND works for salvation=not saved.  But, I know many go into their church already saved, just immature, and misled. A family from my church had some minor issue with my wife, and they left and are now meeting with this friend of my wife's. One is (ostensibly) saved, while his wife and her mother, I suspect not. So, being the man who led him to Christ, his spiritual father, as Paul was to, say, Timothy, I am planning on sending him a letter with my concerns for their souls, and a book to read by David Cloud, "Avoiding the Snare of Seventh Day Adventism". This is an excellent book, based on his own studies of their own writings and history, their official books, as well as taking a corresponence course from them. If you want a very indepth look at them, pick up this book.

So, what do YOU think about the SDA?

• Members

Greetings in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ!  This is my first post , I was going to start with introductions but, I saw this and read many of your responses.  Before I became a Christian , I was a Seventh-day adventist.  So, I speak from personal experience with this false religion.  It might seem harsh but, I have seen what their doctrine can do to an individual.  Seventh-day adventism is legalism personified.... We were taught that Sister White's writings were not supposedly on the same level as Scripture.  Yet, I will be honest they are looked  as scripture.  I was taught that the Bible was easily misunderstood and we NEEDED Sister White's writings to clarify scripture. 

One of the biggest un-truths i was taught in my opinion is that Christ sacrifice was not sufficient, that we could not know we were saved because right now since 1844 we were going through the final judgement.  And, as I child we were taught that anyone outside the SDA church was unsaved.  Albeit, I did attend a rather conservative SDA church known in the movement as a "landmark" congregation.Also, I was taught that we had to prove to God our worthiness (through works) to have any chance of salvation.  Holiness was a burden to me in Sda church we heard over and over again from the pulpit that we were just the most unworthy people..... I also found that the false teaching that it was the 7th day sabbath that would be the "mark of the beast" I see now this is nowhere in scripture.  I do not want to be demeaning , perhaps some of you think that there are "good" folks in the SDA church.... you are absolutely correct but,  and this is a huge but......The scripture that comes to me is from Matthew chapter 7 verses 21-23 ;

"  Not every onethat saith unto me  , Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven ;  but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.  Many will say to me in that day , Lord , Lord , have we not prophesied in thy name?  And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works?   And , then will I profess unto them , I never knew you : depart from me , ye that work iniquities."

Its good to try and be tolerant of other faiths but be very careful because the devil is wicked.  The One thing I most love about the Baptist is they call sin and falsehood as they are ,  SIN....

• Moderators

Greetings in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ!  This is my first post , I was going to start with introductions but, I saw this and read many of your responses.  Before I became a Christian , I was a Seventh-day adventist.  So, I speak from personal experience with this false religion.  It might seem harsh but, I have seen what their doctrine can do to an individual.  Seventh-day adventism is legalism personified.... We were taught that Sister White's writings were not supposedly on the same level as Scripture.  Yet, I will be honest they are looked  as scripture.  I was taught that the Bible was easily misunderstood and we NEEDED Sister White's writings to clarify scripture. 

One of the biggest un-truths i was taught in my opinion is that Christ sacrifice was not sufficient, that we could not know we were saved because right now since 1844 we were going through the final judgement.  And, as I child we were taught that anyone outside the SDA church was unsaved.  Albeit, I did attend a rather conservative SDA church known in the movement as a "landmark" congregation.Also, I was taught that we had to prove to God our worthiness (through works) to have any chance of salvation.  Holiness was a burden to me in Sda church we heard over and over again from the pulpit that we were just the most unworthy people..... I also found that the false teaching that it was the 7th day sabbath that would be the "mark of the beast" I see now this is nowhere in scripture.  I do not want to be demeaning , perhaps some of you think that there are "good" folks in the SDA church.... you are absolutely correct but,  and this is a huge but......The scripture that comes to me is from Matthew chapter 7 verses 21-23 ;

"  Not every onethat saith unto me  , Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven ;  but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.  Many will say to me in that day , Lord , Lord , have we not prophesied in thy name?  And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works?   And , then will I profess unto them , I never knew you : depart from me , ye that work iniquities."

Its good to try and be tolerant of other faiths but be very careful because the devil is wicked.  The One thing I most love about the Baptist is they call sin and falsehood as they are ,  SIN....

Very good. Its good to hgear from someone who is former SDA-you are correct, it is a very pernicious doctrine that snares many. As you say, there are good, sincere people in there, but sincerely wrong.

Welcome to the boards, hope to read much from you as you participate, and hope you'll find some enjoyment, challenge and that your sword will be sharpened.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Bumping for whoever would like to discuss the cult of Seventh Day Adventism.  I started this thread June 9, 2008 and somehow my OP got moved down to post #19 and a poster calling herself "Little Sis" is in position #1 and began posting in agreement with the teachings of SDA.

Bump!

• Members

During some of the changeovers the older threads were messed up for some reason.

Part of the reason some immature Christians, as well as others, end up in the SDA is because of our nature to think there must always be something more, something more we are to do. Even to an extent of thinking that since the road is narrow, we need to find that "narrow church" which is really "the one" (this isn't exclusive to SDA, some folks become Baptists, or join another church, because they believe they are the ones on the narrow way).

One lady I knew in the 90s seemed to be truly saved, but her husband led her into the SDA before he died. This woman really wanted to live for the Lord but being so immersed in the SDA much of that ended up focused upon SDA teaching rather than actual Bible teaching.

It's much easier for those who are trying to figure these things out on their own (getting right with God) or who are immature Christians, to get involved in something false than to find the right way. I've known of many over the years who got caught up in Armstrongism, SDA, the 'positive thinking' Christians, etc. Some found their way out later, some got sucked in soundly and some got away and turned from Christianity.

They need our help, not our condemnation, they need salvation and/or discipleship.

Archived