• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The False Teachings of Seventh Day Adventism

LindaR

• Members

[quote]the whole religion is based on her writings, not the Bible.[/quote]

This is not entirely true. For example, the SDA Church teaches water baptisim just like the Bible teaches it and just like the Baptist teach it. There are some SDA folks who go to extremes with E.G. White's writings. But, there is a large majority that basically ignore her books and writings.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

[quote="John81"][quote="Jerry80871852"][quote="Jerry"]The SDA is a cult, and no one will get saved or grow spiritually through their false doctrines based on a false prophetess. Wishing they were a true Christian church/denomination won't make it so.[/quote]

Yes its a cult, and like many others, there are saved people within it who have been led astray.[/quote]

Were they saved in the SDA or prior to becoming SDA?[/quote]

My opinion is, some may well be saved in spite of their teachings, and some where probably saved outside of that church but went astray.

I know of a very few people who lost their way and went into a SDA church.

Hopefully many of them in their Bible studies will come to realize just what the SDA is them come out from among them.

In my post I probably should have used the word probably, that is there is probably truly saved people in the SDA.

I posted for quite some time on a message board with some SDA church members, I felt like some of them were probably saved, but I disagree with their teachings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Don't they adhere to some special dietary rules also?

Yes...I believe they are vegetarians...not sure if they eat dairy products however. I know they don't eat any meat (including chicken).

Guest Guest

One of my older cousins married a man that was SDA. She was a non-practicing Catholic at the time. They have 4 sons. I don't know what they believe now, b/c they left the SDA years ago. I do know that their oldest son married an American Baptist girl from California about a year ago.

When I would visit as a child...I do remember that they had very rigged dietary rules. I always thought that it was b/c he was a doctor, though. :ooops I just learned another thing today on OB. :smile

• Members

Yes...I believe they are vegetarians...not sure if they eat dairy products however. I know they don't eat any meat (including chicken).

We had neighbors who were Seventh Day Adventist, they raised chickens for many years for Tyson's.

Seems I remember them going fishing, but not positive about that.

• Members
Ah, but did they eat the fish they caught?

:lol :frog

Now I'm wondering if they ever ate any fried chicken. They raised many thousands of them, surely they ate some of them.

Oh, ever batch of chicken the service man woudl come by about 3 to 5 days before they caught my chickens and take a fat sample.

He would catch the 6 biggest and best looking chickens in each chicken house to take the fat sample, them we had finger licking good fried chicken to eat. Why waste the 12 biggest and best looking chickens I grew ever 8 weeks?

Oh, I would always share some of this chicken with my dog, I would always give him 2 chicken breast to eat. I did this because he was always by my side.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I think it is wise to investigate before making judgements about what people believe .
There are some things inte Bible that many sincere Christians miss .

Look at Acts 15 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

If you examine what that is saying ,it is commandment to Gentiles not to eat meat with the blood or from a beast that was strangled. How many Christians do you know worry about the blood in the meat they eat ?

My point is that until you really search everything the Bible says on a subject ,it is wiser not to pass judgement .Rather ask and if there is a Biblical explanation , be willing to examine it prayerfully .If the person is wrong ,pray for grace to show them .If the person has some valid Scriptures ,pray for humility to admit this. Prejudice only creates barriers and may actually be lack of love.

There are all kinds of people in every group and it is safer not to generalise .
And you need to define the term "cult" .
That can be catch cry for anything that is a bit different .

• 2 months later...
  • Members

My husband was raised SDA. To bring our family together, I offered to attend his church, if he would go back. So, we attended the SDA church for about a year. I went to the Pastor's class to become a member. I know what is taught, from the inside.

They do believe in the 5 fundamentals of Christianity (as taken from another post somewhere around here).
1. The virgin birth and deity of Jesus.

2. The substitutionary death of Jesus.

3. The resurrection of Jesus Christ.

4. The verbal inspiration of the Scriptures.

5. The second coming of Christ.

They do believe you can loose your salvation.
Most are vegetarians, but it is NOT a condition of being a member. They are really into health, and eating the right foods, as we all know, is good for our health.
They are post-trib and this is a big focus of the teachings.
Some of them adhere to Ellen White's teaching, but a lot of them have gone away from that - back to the Bible.
They believe in worshiping on the Saturday Sabbath only. They believe that Sunday worship is the mark of the beast.
They are definitely extremists. They do believe in the Sabbath day of rest. Church, food and naps - from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday.

So, if they believe in the same Jesus Christ, the same Bible (KJV) and Christ's return for His Church, are they saved? I believe so.
Some of my husband's friends love the Lord more than some of my Baptist friends.
They do take take things out of context and have some strange interpretations of Scripture, are these conditions that will keep someone out of Heaven?
And, of course, they have their cult off-shoots (David Koresh for one) but don't all denomination brands?

But, God works things out in awesome ways, amen? Through a time of learning and growing, I finally found where I belong. Definitely Fundamental and absolutely Baptist!

• Members
My husband was raised SDA. To bring our family together, I offered to attend his church, if he would go back. So, we attended the SDA church for about a year. I went to the Pastor's class to become a member. I know what is taught, from the inside.

They do believe in the 5 fundamentals of Christianity (as taken from another post somewhere around here).
1. The virgin birth and deity of Jesus.

2. The substitutionary death of Jesus.

3. The resurrection of Jesus Christ.

4. The verbal inspiration of the Scriptures.

5. The second coming of Christ.

They do believe you can loose your salvation.
Most are vegetarians, but it is NOT a condition of being a member. They are really into health, and eating the right foods, as we all know, is good for our health.
They are post-trib and this is a big focus of the teachings.
Some of them adhere to Ellen White's teaching, but a lot of them have gone away from that - back to the Bible.
They believe in worshiping on the Saturday Sabbath only. They believe that Sunday worship is the mark of the beast.
They are definitely extremists. They do believe in the Sabbath day of rest. Church, food and naps - from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday.

So, if they believe in the same Jesus Christ, the same Bible (KJV) and Christ's return for His Church, are they saved? I believe so.
Some of my husband's friends love the Lord more than some of my Baptist friends.
They do take take things out of context and have some strange interpretations of Scripture, are these conditions that will keep someone out of Heaven?
And, of course, they have their cult off-shoots (David Koresh for one) but don't all denomination brands?

But, God works things out in awesome ways, amen? Through a time of learning and growing, I finally found where I belong. Definitely Fundamental and absolutely Baptist!

Carolyn, Tell me something, do they believe that saved people do not sin? And if they do sin they are not saved.

• Members

Yes, they do believe you can loose your salvation. And then you have to ask for forgiveness, then during that little bit of time when you are perfect, you are saved
.....yeah I know :roll

You should be around when my husband and I discuss that hehehe
btw, even with all his Church background - being a deacon, youth leader, etc, - my husband is not saved and right now has no interest in knowing Jesus. But at least we can have discussions about the Bible and the Lord.

• Members
Yes, they do believe you can loose your salvation. And then you have to ask for forgiveness, then during that little bit of time when you are perfect, you are saved
.....yeah I know :roll

You should be around when my husband and I discuss that hehehe
btw, even with all his Church background - being a deacon, youth leader, etc, - my husband is not saved and right now has no interest in knowing Jesus. But at least we can have discussions about the Bible and the Lord.

I can imagine, I was posting in a group once were they were a few SDA's, I got educated quite quick about their beliefs.

Seems they fail to understand that only One was perfect and He is the One who made it possible for us sinners to be saved and have the promise of ever lasting life in heaven and that God is the one who keeps us saved, its not us.

5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 Peter 1:5 (KJV)

6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Phil 1:6 (KJV)

24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:24-25 (KJV)

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Carolyn, had you remained in the SDA long enuff for their elders to believe that you really wanted to be a member of their gang, they woulda introduced you to some of their darker secrets, such as "salvation by worx", baptismal regeneration, "investigative judgment", etc.

And, depending upon the local congregation, they mighta told you that JESUS was once the archangel Michael.

BTW, the Jehovah False Witlesses are another offshoot of the seven-day-Adlibbers. There have been many others; most were and are virtually unknown, as they generally have/had less than a hundred members. The Branch Davidians was founded in 1929 by one Victor Houteff, & woulda remained virtually unknown if not for the Waco Wacko, David Koresh.(Vernon Wayne Howell) BTW, there were two nameless sub-splinter groups who broke off from the Branch Davidians before their siege! Like a hydra, the evil just keeps multiplying!

The Bible is both the whole armor of God, and His sword for us to use to fight evil. Remember, JESUS answered the devil on the temple roof with "It is WRITTEN..." & Satan had NO REPLIES. The more you study and understand God's word, the more invulnerable to cults such as the SDA you will become. Rely upon YOUR OWN READING of the Bible, and the HOLY SPIRIT'S guidance, rather than upon what any man "teaches" you about Scripture. Deceivers come in all types, forms, both genders, and all ages.

Archived