• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

LindaR

The False Teachings of Seventh Day Adventism

Heretical Christian "sect" or cult?

Is Seventh Day Adventism just another heretical Christian "sect" or is it a cult? I am not using the word cult flippantly. I studied the history of SDA and Ellen G. White...I have even gone "head to head" with some of their people. I feel that SDA teaches "another" gospel (Gal. 1:8-9). SDA never started out as a Christian "sect". The roots of this movement are not Biblical. First and foremost, SDA ADDS to the Gospel of grace...their #1 addition is Sabbath keeping...that the Sabbath is eternally binding on men from the creation. Here are some of the SDA teachings which, IMHO, put it into the category of "cult":

1. Soul Sleep
2. Annihilation of the wicked (JWs teach this also)
3. Investigative Judgment
4. Ellen G. White as prophetess (her "prophecies" have more authority than the Bible)
5. Mixing Law and Grace and leading people AWAY from Christ and putting them back under the Law.

That's for starters...

Right you are, Linda! It is not a Christian denomination. True Christians can possibly get deceived by their false teachings - but a person can never get saved through their works-based gospel.

My uncle is a Seventh Day Adventist, and his wife has followed him into the religion. I do admire my uncles' commitment, but unfortunately many of those commitments are extra-Biblical at best. He won't even use a toll road on Saturday.

For example, he refuses to eat meat. I think Jesus made it clear in Matthew 15 that we can eat whatever, because it's what comes out of a man's mouth that makes him unclean rather than what goes in. Also, Paul said in 1st Timothy 4 I believe that a certain doctrine of demons forbids men to eat meat (and also to marry) and that all food is meant to be received with thanksgiving. Not to mention, Peter had a vision in the book of Acts where God declared all food clean.

I never knew much about the SDA. I always thought they were like us but just had church on Saturday. Then as I studied I realized that they really follow Ellen White's visions and all sorts of prophesies. There is a cable channel that is a SDA channel and all you have to do is watch about 20 minutes of their sermons and realize, if you know good doctrine, that they are way off.

My uncle has tried a few times to convince us of the teaching of Seventh-Day Adventism. They are very committed to what they believe, though I disagree with them completely since I think they are bringing themselves back under the law that we have been freed from. Of course, I also think that Ellen G. White was just a wannabe prophetess who deceived a lot of people. I don't think they claim her teachings are above the Bible but equal to it. I do believe with all my heart that my aunt and uncle are both Christians, though, despite their misguided beliefs. There is definitely fruit there.

I also think that Ellen G. White was just a wannabe prophetess who deceived a lot of people. I don't think they claim her teachings are above the Bible but equal to it.

Maybe not every SDA believes that they are above the Bible - but most do, and the whole religion is based on her writings, not the Bible.

I do believe with all my heart that my aunt and uncle are both Christians, though, despite their misguided beliefs. There is definitely fruit there.

And what do they believe about salvation and about the Lord Jesus Christ. Being active religiously is not necessarily Biblical fruit. A true Christian can get confused and get caught up in their deception (ie. being saved before they get deceived by the SDA church) - but no one can get saved through their false gospel of works.

I've only really known one SDA member fairly well. She was a very nice lady, very dedicated and really seemed to love the Lord but she was also SO caught up in the SDA rules (Saturday worship, no caffiene, etc). I really don't know if she was truly saved or not but I'm afraid she may not have been. :sad

Hi There!

First I'd like to say that the SDA Church is not a cult. Do they err in some doctrine? Absolutely. Can a person be a true Christian and attend an SDA Church? Absolutely. There are many fine Christian brothers and sisters in the Adventist Church. They love the Lord with all their heart and are earnestly seeking to know Him. Are there folks there that are trying to work their way to heaven? Yes. And mind you, they are some of the most miserable Christians you ever did see. Are there sheep in the SDA Church that hear His voice (see John 10:27). Yes there are! Is there lost souls in the SDA Church? Sadly, there is.

I would implore you to pray for your brothers and sisters in the SDA Church. Many love the Lord and will make heaven their home forever. Many are confused and still others are trying to work their way to heaven. They are all precious people that need your prayers. Jesus died for everyone, no matter what church door they pass through.

May the Lord richly bless each of you. Thank you for letting me join in the forum. :wave:

Blessings,

Little Sis

The SDA is a cult, and no one will get saved or grow spiritually through their false doctrines based on a false prophetess. Wishing they were a true Christian church/denomination won't make it so.

[quote="Jerry"]The SDA is a cult, and no one will get saved or grow spiritually through their false doctrines based on a false prophetess. Wishing they were a true Christian church/denomination won't make it so.[/quote]

True.

Any church, even one professing to be a Christian church, that doesn't preach and teach the One True Gospel is a false church, a cult. This is true of the SDA, Catholic, Mormon and other wrongly-called "Christian" churches.

No doubt many of the members of all these false churches are sincere but Scripture is clear that sincerity will not save anyone. Scripture leaves no doubt that in the end many will stand before Christ proclaiming all they did for Him yet Jesus Himself will have to say that He never knew them. Those who "do things for Jesus" yet who have never been biblically born again are just as lost as the Muslim who rejects Jesus is the Christ, the pagan who worships "Mother Nature", the one who declares there is no God and anyone else who is lost and condemned to eternal damnation because they have failed to accept Christ Jesus as their Saviour and Lord in accordance with the Word of God.

[quote="Jerry"]The SDA is a cult, and no one will get saved or grow spiritually through their false doctrines based on a false prophetess. Wishing they were a true Christian church/denomination won't make it so.[/quote]

Yes its a cult, and like many others, there are saved people within it who have been led astray.

[quote="Jerry80871852"][quote="Jerry"]The SDA is a cult, and no one will get saved or grow spiritually through their false doctrines based on a false prophetess. Wishing they were a true Christian church/denomination won't make it so.[/quote]

Yes its a cult, and like many others, there are saved people within it who have been led astray.[/quote]

Were they saved in the SDA or prior to becoming SDA?

[quote]the whole religion is based on her writings, not the Bible.[/quote]

This is not entirely true. For example, the SDA Church teaches water baptisim just like the Bible teaches it and just like the Baptist teach it. There are some SDA folks who go to extremes with E.G. White's writings. But, there is a large majority that basically ignore her books and writings.

[quote="John81"][quote="Jerry80871852"][quote="Jerry"]The SDA is a cult, and no one will get saved or grow spiritually through their false doctrines based on a false prophetess. Wishing they were a true Christian church/denomination won't make it so.[/quote]

Yes its a cult, and like many others, there are saved people within it who have been led astray.[/quote]

Were they saved in the SDA or prior to becoming SDA?[/quote]

My opinion is, some may well be saved in spite of their teachings, and some where probably saved outside of that church but went astray.

I know of a very few people who lost their way and went into a SDA church.

Hopefully many of them in their Bible studies will come to realize just what the SDA is them come out from among them.

In my post I probably should have used the word probably, that is there is probably truly saved people in the SDA.

I posted for quite some time on a message board with some SDA church members, I felt like some of them were probably saved, but I disagree with their teachings.

Don't they adhere to some special dietary rules also?

Yes...I believe they are vegetarians...not sure if they eat dairy products however. I know they don't eat any meat (including chicken).

Guest Guest

One of my older cousins married a man that was SDA. She was a non-practicing Catholic at the time. They have 4 sons. I don't know what they believe now, b/c they left the SDA years ago. I do know that their oldest son married an American Baptist girl from California about a year ago.

When I would visit as a child...I do remember that they had very rigged dietary rules. I always thought that it was b/c he was a doctor, though. :ooops I just learned another thing today on OB. :smile

Yes...I believe they are vegetarians...not sure if they eat dairy products however. I know they don't eat any meat (including chicken).

We had neighbors who were Seventh Day Adventist, they raised chickens for many years for Tyson's.

Seems I remember them going fishing, but not positive about that.

Ah, but did they eat the fish they caught?

:lol :frog

Now I'm wondering if they ever ate any fried chicken. They raised many thousands of them, surely they ate some of them.

Oh, ever batch of chicken the service man woudl come by about 3 to 5 days before they caught my chickens and take a fat sample.

He would catch the 6 biggest and best looking chickens in each chicken house to take the fat sample, them we had finger licking good fried chicken to eat. Why waste the 12 biggest and best looking chickens I grew ever 8 weeks?

Oh, I would always share some of this chicken with my dog, I would always give him 2 chicken breast to eat. I did this because he was always by my side.

I think it is wise to investigate before making judgements about what people believe .
There are some things inte Bible that many sincere Christians miss .

Look at Acts 15 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

If you examine what that is saying ,it is commandment to Gentiles not to eat meat with the blood or from a beast that was strangled. How many Christians do you know worry about the blood in the meat they eat ?

My point is that until you really search everything the Bible says on a subject ,it is wiser not to pass judgement .Rather ask and if there is a Biblical explanation , be willing to examine it prayerfully .If the person is wrong ,pray for grace to show them .If the person has some valid Scriptures ,pray for humility to admit this. Prejudice only creates barriers and may actually be lack of love.

There are all kinds of people in every group and it is safer not to generalise .
And you need to define the term "cult" .
That can be catch cry for anything that is a bit different .

My husband was raised SDA. To bring our family together, I offered to attend his church, if he would go back. So, we attended the SDA church for about a year. I went to the Pastor's class to become a member. I know what is taught, from the inside.

They do believe in the 5 fundamentals of Christianity (as taken from another post somewhere around here).
1. The virgin birth and deity of Jesus.

2. The substitutionary death of Jesus.

3. The resurrection of Jesus Christ.

4. The verbal inspiration of the Scriptures.

5. The second coming of Christ.

They do believe you can loose your salvation.
Most are vegetarians, but it is NOT a condition of being a member. They are really into health, and eating the right foods, as we all know, is good for our health.
They are post-trib and this is a big focus of the teachings.
Some of them adhere to Ellen White's teaching, but a lot of them have gone away from that - back to the Bible.
They believe in worshiping on the Saturday Sabbath only. They believe that Sunday worship is the mark of the beast.
They are definitely extremists. They do believe in the Sabbath day of rest. Church, food and naps - from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday.

So, if they believe in the same Jesus Christ, the same Bible (KJV) and Christ's return for His Church, are they saved? I believe so.
Some of my husband's friends love the Lord more than some of my Baptist friends.
They do take take things out of context and have some strange interpretations of Scripture, are these conditions that will keep someone out of Heaven?
And, of course, they have their cult off-shoots (David Koresh for one) but don't all denomination brands?

But, God works things out in awesome ways, amen? Through a time of learning and growing, I finally found where I belong. Definitely Fundamental and absolutely Baptist!