• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Let There Be Light!

• Members

I had an interesting conversation with a preacher I am acquainted with about the first few chapters of Gensis regarding creation of the universe, specifically the creation of light, and then the creation of the moon, sun and stars. It was a strange interaction in a way, because I had never heard a pastor question certain aspects of God's creating the light, the sun, moon, and stars. But, I thought I'd pose the questions here. 

In Genesis 1:3-5 

3And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. 4And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. 5And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day

God created the light to separate it from the darkness. Why didn't he create the sun, moon and stars at this time?

Was this "day" mentioned for the first day a true, literal 24 hour day? 

14And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: 15and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. 16And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. 17And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, 18and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. 19And the evening and the morning were the fourth day. 

Why did God wait until the fourth day to create the sun, moon, and stars?

Could those first four days have been longer than 24 hour periods of time?

This COULD (according to the preacher I was discussing this with) account for those who hold to the Biblical creation as told in Genesis having differing opinions of how old the earth is. 

It was a strange converstion, but not one that I hadn't had before. My father was a man who believed in the gap theory. I personally don't hold that view, but he did. He knew the Bible backwards and forwards and had done much research on the subject, and nobody could ever sway him from this position. The same is true of the preacher I was discussing this with. He is a borderline "gap theory" position holder. He seems to sway back and forth on this particular subject, admitting that he's unsure. Remember, we're not here to discuss the gap theory. I just threw that in as a possible part of the reason that this pastor might have the questions he has.

• Members

Apparently, light does not originate from the sun (Job 38:19). The sun, moon and stars were given for times and seasons and lights upon the earth but light exists outside of them. 

Einstein was wrong too, about light from the stars taking billions of light years to get here. Einstein had to get rid of the aether to come up with that theory but scientists are finding out that space isn't a void after all but there is an aether like the old scientists postulated. According to one scientist at the Royal Institute it is similar to water just as the bible mentions.

Like I've said before we have been brainwashed with a lot of science falsely so-called since kindergarten. It's hard to get un-brainwashed but believing the bible without twisting it to fit science is a good start. 

• Members

It doesn't matter what is filling the gap between these different suns, etc. and us. If God could create a world with mature plants and animals right at the start, surely He could create light sources in the heavens whose lights are already reaching us.

Also, the Bible teaches that EVERYTHING in the heavens and earth was created in those six days, and that that creation week was an example for us to follow. Can't follow the example to work for six days and rest for one day if the days were 1000 years for example - the oldest man that ever lived never even made it to 1000 years - so none of us is ever going to be able to follow God's example and be able to rest!!

Nehemiah 9:6 Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

Exodus 20:9-11 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exodus 31:16-17 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jerry said:

It doesn't matter what is filling the gap between these different suns, etc. and us. If God could create a world with mature plants and animals right at the start, surely He could create light sources in the heavens whose lights are already reaching us.

Also, the Bible teaches that EVERYTHING in the heavens and earth was created in those six days, and that that creation week was an example for us to follow. Can't follow the example to work for six days and rest for one day if the days were 1000 years for example - the oldest man that ever lived never even made it to 1000 years - so none of us is ever going to be able to follow God's example and be able to rest!!

Nehemiah 9:6 Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

Exodus 20:9-11 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exodus 31:16-17 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Remember, though...God is outside of space and time. He's not restricted in the least by any of it. He can do as he wills. I'm not saying that the days were longer than 24 hours, but I do believe that because GOD is outside of space and time, it's not relevant to him. Just as the day being longer during a battle because Joshua was holding up his staff...the sun held fast in it's place increasing the amount of day that they had to win the battle. There have been calculations that say that the world's time is off by at least two or three days. It could very well be more. I'm not putting that limitation on God.

• Members

If God says something in His Word, it is not limiting God by believing what He has said - and He has in various places stated that everything that is in this universe (my wording) was created within those literal 24 hour days of creation week.

And the story of the world's time being off by two or three days is just a fable, a myth. The astronomers would have had to have perfect knowledge of where everything was astronomically back then and where everything should have been in order to make that kind of declaration. They don't know. The most they can do is look at the placing of all the stars and objects in space, see how far they travel (in their orbits, etc.) in a given period of time, and trace it back to the days of Joshua. There is no way they could tell if a period of time was missing. We believe it because the Bible says it, not because some scientist somewhere thinks he had a way to prove it.

If the Bible itself stated where they objects in space were and where they were supposed to be, then maybe someone could calculate that because they aren't where they should have been, some time was missing - but looking back almost 3500 years, we do not have that kind of scientific data. It's just a story told by some (perhaps) good meaning Christian.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Jerry said:

If God says something in His Word, it is not limiting God by believing what He has said - and He has in various places stated that everything that is in this universe (my wording) was created within those literal 24 hour days of creation week.

And the story of the world's time being off by two or three days is just a fable, a myth. The astronomers would have had to have perfect knowledge of where everything was astronomically back then and where everything should have been in order to make that kind of declaration. They don't know. The most they can do is look at the placing of all the stars and objects in space, see how far they travel (in their orbits, etc.) in a given period of time, and trace it back to the days of Joshua. There is no way they could tell if a period of time was missing. We believe it because the Bible says it, not because some scientist somewhere thinks he had a way to prove it.

If the Bible itself stated where they objects in space were and where they were supposed to be, then maybe someone could calculate that because they aren't where they should have been, some time was missing - but looking back almost 3500 years, we do not have that kind of scientific data. It's just a story told by some (perhaps) good meaning Christian.

Please, prove that the story was just a myth..That's the first time I've heard someone inside Christianity call it that. Just wondering why you'd call it that.

• Members

I already said in my post why I believe this story was just something created possibly by a well meaning Christian with no true scientific backing behind it - and gullible Christians keep passing it on as gospel truth.

And just to clarify, I am stating the story of scientists or astronomers now proving it is a myth - not in any way stating the Biblical account is a myth or not true in any sense.